MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAB Cabin Crew Reduction on All Flights

I recently traveled from KUL to KBR with 2 stewardess in economy.

They frantically tried to serve everyone as soon as the seatbelt sign is off. I could almost see one of the crew frantically throwing the juice to pax like the plane was one minute to touchdown. The juice was also taken from a card box put in the trolley (Very classy. I feel in am in an interstate express bus). Then the crew came with garbage bag then they disappear.

Way to go MH. You have just put yourself below AK.

Will going to observe how they're doing for KUL-SBW sector since i'll be flying on MH on Dec 4th.

Previously they're 5 Cabin crews on a 738 flight right?

Something to relate with load factor? from what I heard, it's still in trial. when the load factor starts to pick up, necessary act will be taken. Yet still, 4 crews on NB is truly reflect LCC way. No wonder MH is lost its best cabin crew award to GA.

PB is from Ryanair so the LCC approach taken by MH is justified.

BA flights on its A319 fleet only have 3 cabin crew. 1 for J and 2 for Y.

PB is from Ryanair so the LCC approach taken by MH is justified.

BA flights on its A319 fleet only have 3 cabin crew. 1 for J and 2 for Y.

I don't think it is justified - more like it is understandable.

PB's brief from Khazanah is to make MAB profitable - that is why the focus is on cost reduction. Most western FS airlines have decided that they need to be aggressive on cost cutting. MAB is no exception in trying to follow that. Too many years of excesses have left it far too weak. So it needs to take bitter medicine now.

Edited by flee

Keeping cost under control is critical in every business. On service level, the shareholders need to decide where to position in the market e.g from livestock carrier/cattle pen to 5 star hotel experience.

If mh decided to position at bare minimum ibis styles/holiday inn express experience, ticket price will need to match and similarly for yield.

Bloated cost in mh was mostly behind the house and not at the front of the house. Keeping front of the house cost at minimum doesn't mean the same for behind the house.

Not sure lower ticket price/yield and limited volume will be enough to break even.

Will going to observe how they're doing for KUL-SBW sector since i'll be flying on MH on Dec 4th.

Previously they're 5 Cabin crews on a 738 flight right?

There used to be 6 crew on B737-800 at initial..i think for longer duration regional flights like HKG and DPS

Edited by chenfu

I guess the minimum requirement is for safety purpose more than the level of service rendered. Many in these part of the world still think that travelling by air is a luxury, and expect high level of service. But nowadays, travelling by air is very common.

The reason for the existence of the cabin crew is for safety purposes. The service part is really an afterthought. Any aircraft with 20 or more passenger must have a cabin crew, and that is the reason why there are so many 19 passenger airplanes around. The B737 has 4 main doors, therefore the minimum number of cabin crew is 4, to operate the doors in an emergency.

Anyone heard anything about total cabin crew serving onbaord A330 is now 10. Used to be 11??

It's been 10 for a while now. I'd like to say lot started late 2014-mid 2015 but can't remember fully.

It's been 10 for a while now. I'd like to say lot started late 2014-mid 2015 but can't remember fully.

Its been almost 2 years.. They plan to cut it to 8 crew without reducing any service soon..

Its been almost 2 years.. They plan to cut it to 8 crew without reducing any service soon..

With 8 c.c on a333 mean supervisor will be serving instead of supervising and no one will be supporting at gallery while serving. Mh will be setting the industry standard if service level is not compromised with 8 c.c.

With 8 c.c on a333 mean supervisor will be serving instead of supervising and no one will be supporting at gallery while serving. Mh will be setting the industry standard if service level is not compromised with 8 c.c.

the supervisor IS serving now.. look carefully..

currently they try to steal one cc from behind to finish with serving business class first, and then send 2 of them back to help EY. you will see this on the first service. As for the second service, they will curi 1 cc and then start servicing EY earlier, halfway through d same cc will be helping business class back. they wont cut down business class service, maybe scared of negative feedback from them. If you are in EY, too bad. its either service will be going on slowly, or start early!

the supervisor IS serving now.. look carefully..

currently they try to steal one cc from behind to finish with serving business class first, and then send 2 of them back to help EY. you will see this on the first service. As for the second service, they will curi 1 cc and then start servicing EY earlier, halfway through d same cc will be helping business class back. they wont cut down business class service, maybe scared of negative feedback from them. If you are in EY, too bad. its either service will be going on slowly, or start early!

Then how are they going to eliminate 2 c.c to 8?

Then how are they going to eliminate 2 c.c to 8?

The new working arrangement is not from our training manual or even endorsed by them. They just simply cut 1 cc n expect the crew to adapt and improvise to maintain the same quality of service. Mountain of fatigue reports filed within these 2 years, but none of them is being seen as critical or a safety hazard. Lately they dont even acknowledge upon receiving any safety report even from the tech crew.

I guess when they see the lesser complaint coming, its time to cut 1 more cc n let them adapt again.

Same goes to flight on NB B738 with 4 crew cut from initial 5 and 6 crew.

2 for Y and 2 for J. If J less pax or conclude service service earlier, 1 send to behind to help.

During boarding

Crew 1 - greeting pax at door

Crew 2 - preparing J Galley

Crew 3 - assist Y pax throughout the aisle

Crew 4 - preparing Y Galley behind

Means only 1 crew visble in the middle through out the flight

Urgh :) that was quite an experience... 29 hours daylight straight whilst not in a high latitude country....

Wow, it would take sometime for your body clock to realize when are you.

Same goes to flight on NB B738 with 4 crew cut from initial 5 and 6 crew.

2 for Y and 2 for J. If J less pax or conclude service service earlier, 1 send to behind to help.

During boarding

Crew 1 - greeting pax at door

Crew 2 - preparing J Galley

Crew 3 - assist Y pax throughout the aisle

Crew 4 - preparing Y Galley behind

Means only 1 crew visble in the middle through out the flight

The new working arrangement is not from our training manual or even endorsed by them. They just simply cut 1 cc n expect the crew to adapt and improvise to maintain the same quality of service. Mountain of fatigue reports filed within these 2 years, but none of them is being seen as critical or a safety hazard. Lately they dont even acknowledge upon receiving any safety report even from the tech crew.

I guess when they see the lesser complaint coming, its time to cut 1 more cc n let them adapt again.

Mean MH service level is converging to LCC. Also mean, MH could charge only marginally higher fare than LCC before losing pax, very tight margin to be profitable. Whoever takes over from PB will be sandwiched between a rock and a hard place.

Edited by KK Lee

Curious why mh785 and mh789 crews layover in BKK? I can understand if they arrive BKK on last flight and to depart on first flight in the morning but mh785 and mh789 are about noon time or afternoon.

Curious why mh785 and mh789 crews layover in BKK? I can understand if they arrive BKK on last flight and to depart on first flight in the morning but mh785 and mh789 are about noon time or afternoon.

Minimum rest

maybe the same crew will serve the first flight out of BKK the next day at 6am

MH785 and MH789 both BKK-KUL , std 11.05am and 2.15pm respectively. Both flights have crew change at BKK. Minimum rest I could understand, why not at KUL but mid day at BKK?

Edited by KK Lee