MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAB Cabin Crew Reduction on All Flights

But since there was a statement that all regional flights will have this 'gourmet food in a box' by January 2008, then all hot food service will be exclusively for the cabin crew in EYCL. Why ah so exclusive? Takut crew 'go slow' / 'silent strike' / MASEU bising-bising ke?

Customer komplen buat dunno, tapi duit kasi sini!

(afraid of MAS Employees Union make noise? If customers complain, all calls go unheeded, but fare-wise, gimme the money)

On my morning flight with AK, I count there are six FA!!!! At night, theres only 5........

Edited by Seth K

Most probably one trainee ...

Most probably one trainee ...

perhaps...........but during night flight, I saw lots of engineer, fun ride after one tiring day :drinks:

Edited by Seth K

What really happened to MH's implementation of 4 cabin crews onboard B734s? It seems inconsistent as there are still flights that are operated with 5 cabin crews, even though the flights are snackboxes flights. But I am glad that the 4 cabin crews flights are now pretty apparent.

Certain routes requires 5 cabin crew, and others requires 4. However the crew pattern sometimes mixes the 4-crew flights with those with 5-crew flights, therefore 5 crew will be carried.

Last week, I took a return flight from KUL to SDK, and I noted that for both flights, only 2 cabin crew served the entire economy class. Is this a norm now to cut down the number of crew serving Y class as part of further cost cutting measures? I recalled that a couple of months ago (September 2016), when I did the KUL-KCH flights, there were still 3 crew serving us in Y. I think if I am not wrong, there used to be 4 crew allocated for Y?

Also I noted the service and boarding sequence was not consistent. For my flight from KUL-SDK, the boarding was done based on seating position and not seating rows - those seated on A and F were boarded first, followed by B and E, and then C and D.This was something new to me! In terms of meals, the crew served the food round first (in a meal box - mains, water, and peanuts), and then followed by drinks round served with a dessert (a slice of chocolate cake). On my return flight from SDK, the boarding was chaotic where everyone boarded the aircraft (as usual), and the meals and drinks were served together as per normal service (meal box with a choice of mains, water, and peanuts) and no dessert!

I noticed that meal service time took up more than 1.5 hours for both flights (with the usual - fasten seat belt sign on during meals service so no hot drinks!). Since the flight time was 2.5hours, this is fine. But I would imagine if it is a flight from KUL to KCH, they would be a bit short on time.

Anyone experienced this?

Last week, I took a return flight from KUL to SDK, and I noted that for both flights, only 2 cabin crew served the entire economy class. Is this a norm now to cut down the number of crew serving Y class as part of further cost cutting measures? I recalled that a couple of months ago (September 2016), when I did the KUL-KCH flights, there were still 3 crew serving us in Y. I think if I am not wrong, there used to be 4 crew allocated for Y?

Current complement under the new structure is 4 on a 737 (2 in J, 2 in Y) and 10 on an A330.

Also I noted the service and boarding sequence was not consistent. For my flight from KUL-SDK, the boarding was done based on seating position and not seating rows - those seated on A and F were boarded first, followed by B and E, and then C and D.This was something new to me! In terms of meals, the crew served the food round first (in a meal box - mains, water, and peanuts), and then followed by drinks round served with a dessert (a slice of chocolate cake). On my return flight from SDK, the boarding was chaotic where everyone boarded the aircraft (as usual), and the meals and drinks were served together as per normal service (meal box with a choice of mains, water, and peanuts) and no dessert!

I noticed that meal service time took up more than 1.5 hours for both flights (with the usual - fasten seat belt sign on during meals service so no hot drinks!). Since the flight time was 2.5hours, this is fine. But I would imagine if it is a flight from KUL to KCH, they would be a bit short on time.

Anyone experienced this?

Yes. Currently MAB is trialling 4 person crew with narrowbodies. Apparently, it's the global industry standard with 95% of airlines adopting 4 person crews on their NBs. However, out of those 4, I think they should fix 2 crews for Economy class, 1 for business class and 1 alternating.

Anyone experienced this?

My few ex-KUL all had this new boarding sequence (by seat position) announcement, but the agent checking boarding pass simply let everyone through and not enforcing the sequence as announced. Every single time.

As for the service, my few KUL-KCH vv flights in Oct all had this new meal service - first round they serve food only, second round they clear the trays and serve drinks and no dessert on this route. But there were still three crews serving Y iirc back in Oct. I quite like this new meal service, esp when I'm sitting at the emex row, and usually had to wait for quite a while before the meal cart reach me if they serve meal and drinks together. With this new service, meal will reach me faster, followed by drinks later. Service did not take up a long time, just nice IMO.

Also to note, for SIN-KUL vv, they are using meal cart to serve peanuts, at times ice cream (esp on evening flight exKUL), and pre-packed orange juice (like SQ/MI). I think I'm too clumsy cause I tend to spill the orange juice when opening it. :X

Edited by Kelson

Yes. Currently MAB is trialling 4 person crew with narrowbodies. Apparently, it's the global industry standard with 95% of airlines adopting 4 person crews on their NBs. However, out of those 4, I think they should fix 2 crews for Economy class, 1 for business class and 1 alternating.

Depends of the load I guess. I took J in their 738 last week. Only two of us in J. So only one crew on duty. The rest in Y. But even with a load so light, the crew were not proactive especially post meal service.

Generally 4 crew arrangement will compromising the service level of the so called premium air carrier. 1st crew welcome psssengers at door 1, 2nd crew preparing J galley and 3rd crew preparing Y galley at the back. With this, left only 1 crew to assist boarding along the Y aisle.

I dont think Garuda NB serving KUL-CGK has 4 crew onboard.

Edited by chenfu

I've also noticed the reduction in crew. Was on J on flight to Yangon recently with around 7 in J. 1 crew served us while the other crew in J assisted the 2 in Y class which was full.

Spoke to the cabin crew and they themselves find this thing and they hope that none of the crew is ill and unfit during their flight.

Apparently there were time where one crew was ill and Y class had only one cabin crew for the return flight.

Hope MAS take note of this which can be a safety issue.

4 cabin crew on 738 is minimum number required by law. To cope with full load, ey meal service is simplified e.g snack box and disposables.

4 crew assignment on a NB A320 and B737-800 is only suitable for all economy class or low cost carrier as the service less formal.

A 2 class NB, prefer to have 5 crew assignment as the minimun requiremen ( 2J and 3 EY)

Edited by chenfu

I've also noticed the reduction in crew. Was on J on flight to Yangon recently with around 7 in J. 1 crew served us while the other crew in J assisted the 2 in Y class which was full.

Spoke to the cabin crew and they themselves find this thing and they hope that none of the crew is ill and unfit during their flight.

Apparently there were time where one crew was ill and Y class had only one cabin crew for the return flight.

Hope MAS take note of this which can be a safety issue.

It is not about safety issue as 4 cabin crew meets the legal requirement but more of service and standard issue

Was on MH recently PEN-KCH-KUL-PEN. All served with 4 crew on board. On the KCH-KUL, J was quite empty so one of them went to Y to assist.

One thing I noticed on the flights I took this time, the seat belt sign was almost on the whole time...so no hot drinks...Is this something they do on purpose to speed up their serving in Y class ?

It is not about safety issue as 4 cabin crew meets the legal requirement but more of service and standard issue

What I meant is if a crew is sick on the flight , Then you will only have 3 Working Crew. In addition the return leg of the flight may be affected.

When I was travelling just recently even the MAS cabin crew had expressed their concerns. This has happened before. When this happens i.e. Crew is ill, no inflight services.

Edited by Lim Keng Jit

The legal requirement is 1 crew for every 50 pax - so 4 crew on the MAB B738 complies with the legal requirement.

Unlike the Airasia Group airlines (single class, 180/186 pax), MAB operates a business class as well. If MAB wants to have a better service level than LCCs, it should dedicate one more crew for business class - but maybe this measure should depend on the length of the flight. Longer flights need more endurance from the crew - having 5 crew on these flights might ensure better service. However, this will increase operational complexities and cost. So it is not an easy equation to solve.

The legal requirement is 1 crew for every 50 pax - so 4 crew on the MAB B738 complies with the legal requirement.

Unlike the Airasia Group airlines (single class, 180/186 pax), MAB operates a business class as well. If MAB wants to have a better service level than LCCs, it should dedicate one more crew for business class - but maybe this measure should depend on the length of the flight. Longer flights need more endurance from the crew - having 5 crew on these flights might ensure better service. However, this will increase operational complexities and cost. So it is not an easy equation to solve.

My cabin crew friend mentioned that the 4 crew is okay for long sectors but on sectors that are shorter like KUL-BKK/KUL-CGK its a hastle. Imagine Y cabin only 2 crew serving 120++ and it needs to be completed in half an hour,.servings will be slow and recollection of meals will be so quick some of passengers in the mid to front section of the aircraft were complaining they did not have enough time to eat.

Airline doesn't change SOP lightly as it could take up to a year of planning and execution from recruiting, training to on line duty.

4 cabin crews on a 738 is similar to LCC model, implying MAB is trending like a LCC, service level is low in priority.

My cabin crew friend mentioned that the 4 crew is okay for long sectors but on sectors that are shorter like KUL-BKK/KUL-CGK its a hastle. Imagine Y cabin only 2 crew serving 120++ and it needs to be completed in half an hour,.servings will be slow and recollection of meals will be so quick some of passengers in the mid to front section of the aircraft were complaining they did not have enough time to eat.

Yes, I did think of short sectors having less time to complete the service - if that is the case, the product must be overhauled to simplify the service on short flights. But as I said earlier, having different crewing for different sectors will introduce operational complexities. So any cost savings of doing this may be negated.