MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

Rumour: MH to Cut Inflight Meals Beginning 1 October 2007

Two historical landmark announcement made today :

MAS - snack box. How low can you go?

AAX - maiden flight to Gold Coast starts 2nd Nov. How high you are aiming?

TG, Vietnam and SQ should exploit this by advertising what MH no longer offers on the affected routes.

Yes, TG, VN, SQ, GA, CZ and even CX really should take advantage of this !!

Snack box looks big, I dun care if they give hot meals or not, most people prefer not to have or not finish the meals at all anyway.....

Yes, snack box! Good move MH! If people dunno what's airline they are on, I dun think they even care what meals they get.

Edited by Seth K

The divine management headed by IJ has stooped to a historic low level just so to make themselves look good and appear as brilliant bunch of people that has 'managed' to turnaround an ailing airline. What I see is they have raped the airline into insignificance and have the cheek to suggest this is what customers want for the money they pay!

spot on bro!! its like they were so 'emotional' about turning around with a big bang without realizing that they had undermined its excellent hospitality that other airlines talked about.

Snack box looks big, I dun care if they give hot meals or not, most people prefer not to have or not finish the meals at all anyway.....

Yes, snack box! Good move MH! If people dunno what's airline they are on, I dun think they even care what meals they get.

The box is big but the inside is quite poor for the SE Asian palates. It is a copy of BMI's bento box concept, which you get on say, flights from MAN to LHR.

Think of dried bread (exposed to the dry air), muffin, cookies and apples. Though some may enjoy bread-based items, the vast majority of the SE Asian pax will prefer rice or noodle based hotmeals.

MH's management need to get their heads examined!

I am now actively promoting friends, colleagues and relatives to take the competition (SQ, TG etc) than pay a premium yet get less on MH. How I wish SQ flies KUL-KCH/ BKI direct. Forget MH - it has gone down the drain.

Instead of enhancing the brand and boosting the value proposition, MH is now inching closer to LCC levels, though certainly not charging LCC fares. Customers are effectively getting less.

TOO BAD GUTS. NEWS IS TRUE. BELOW IS TODAY'S NEWS, 29 SEPT THE STAR:

MAS to offer healthy box meals

KUALA LUMPUR: Starting on Monday, Malaysia Airlines will replace the current conventional economy class meals on its regional short-haul flights with meal boxes of more wholesome and healthy food.

In-flight services assistant general manager Azman Ahmad said the airline was responding to customer requests based on a survey which showed that a large proportion of passengers preferred light meals.

The meal boxes can be filled with the top five food items passengers choose, he said in a statement.

The menu will feature sandwiches, fruit yoghurt, fresh fruits, crunchy snacks or muffins, depending on the time of the day. Children’s meals and special meals will also be offered. – Bernama

LOOKS LIKE IT'S GONNA REALLY HAPPEN! THERE GOES MY MEALS ONBOARD! HOW COME THEY DON'T REDUCE THE FARES? NOT FAIR!

MAS management will be stupid enough to implement such measures..what i can see is MH's so called Golden Service in the air is dimiishing. I dont think those flights under 4 hours still gives u money for value now. Sad story huh?

Idris jala can turn around an oil company - but he cannot run an airline like that. not when MH's lure has been its inflights services including excellent food and drink.

no way.

and the statement was proper spin as some people mentioned.

what a load of bollocks.

i don't want a bloody snack box - i've always supported MH but its time for me to use TG, SQ, CX.

maybe AK if its cheap enough.

can't we draft a protest note and send it on behalf of malaysianwings.com???

They are still looking for feedback.....so lets make protest at jalan ampang tomorrow. Whose in?

Edited by Seth K

can't we draft a protest note and send it on behalf of malaysianwings.com???

No - it is better that these letters are written in your own capacity as regular airline passengers. Because the moment you let it be known that you're an 'aviation enthusiast', 'airline enthusiast', 'MH fan' or whatever - airline managers would usually dismiss the complaints, citing that the average joe who does not have such a vested interest in the industry will not care. So I think that it's far more effective to write to the airline and/or the media as someone who flies MH a lot, maybe state your support for MH because it's your flag carrier if you're Malaysian or point to MH's reputation as a premier airline, and then express your disappointment at the cut backs. Be reasonable, ie not overly emotive. Back up your arguments well. Suggest alternative solutions. Just don't rant.

Trust me on this one. :)

Edited by Keith T

People in KUL still can fly SQ, CX or TG.

Treat yourself to a smile, (and a minimum of 1 hot meal on all international flights), Fly Emirates...(okla..Etihad oso can)

They are still looking for feedback.....so lets make protest at jalan ampang tomorrow. Whose in?

r u serious?? :o

:lol:

http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/getfile/4e..._meals_box.aspx

This is how the snack box looks like..

By the way,this is the press regarding food cutback.

Sepang (27 September 2007) Malaysia Airlines will introduce meal boxes for its economy class passengers on its regional short-haul flights effective 1 October 2007.

Customers can look forward to a variety of offerings comprising savoury sandwiches, fruit yoghurt, fresh fruits, crunchy snacks or sweet muffin, depending on the time of the day. Child meals and special meals including vegetarian will also be offered.

Customers will continue to enjoy unlimited inflight beverages such as coffee, tea and fruit juices.

Malaysia Airlines’ Assistant General Manager, Inflight Services, En Azman Ahmad said, “We are delighted to offer these meal boxes in response to our customers’ requests. Our inflight survey reveals that a large proportion of our passengers prefer light meal boxes which we then filled with the top five food items that they chose.

“The result is a more wholesome offering, promoting healthy eating and a well-balanced diet, while providing our passengers with the option of taking away the boxes”.

He added, “This is one of the many initiatives that we will progressively roll out to provide our customers with a new dining experience on board. Our initiatives are benchmarked against the best carriers in the region and are aimed at delighting our passengers.”

The meal boxes which replace the current conventional economy class meals will be introduced progressively, starting with the Indochina flights between Kuala Lumpur and Ho Chi Minh City, Phnom Penh, Yangon and Bangkok. On the domestic front, passengers traveling from Kuala Lumpur to Kuching, Miri and Kota Kinabalu will also be able to enjoy this new offering.

The meal boxes will be offered on the remaining regional sectors by January 2008.

No. This is unnessecery. This is not Indonesia. This is Malaysia. Just flood MAS HQ with complain letters will do. And also write to the press ... :lol: May be i'll write one ... we'll see.

Treat yourself to a smile, (and a minimum of 1 hot meal on all international flights), Fly Emirates...(okla..Etihad oso can)

DXB/Europe is not one of the affected routes. SQ, TG and CX are the winners here as they are flying to all the regional cities (except domestic flights) that MAS planned to serve only stupid snackbox.

Edited by Isaac

I agreed, soon MAS is very likely to loose it's loyalty customers and support from travel agents. It's crucial that MAS management look into this matter seriously.

I am now actively promoting friends, colleagues and relatives to take the competition (SQ, TG etc) than pay a premium yet get less on MH. How I wish SQ flies KUL-KCH/ BKI direct. Forget MH - it has gone down the drain.

Yeah, totally agree...I'm doing that as well... :rolleyes: ....just fly other airlines instead of MH, even AK will do... :angry: ...Me too really hope SQ can fly KUL-KCH directly instead of just MI from SIN-KCH, so that we can have more alternative.... :clapping:

.. How I wish SQ flies KUL-KCH/ BKI direct. Forget MH -...

ooohh..how I wish that were true.. :rolleyes:

Edited by Nick R.

Wow so Posh!! The box probably cost as much as the things inside..

EDIT: I still want the meals...

Edited by Walter Sim

hmm...

Not bad looking actually...the box that is.

Im still gonna buy my McDonalds and whack it on domestic flights... :pardon:

The box has gold hot stamped logo that adds unnecessary cost to something most people would throw away. The box supplier should make loads of money from MH. One can get most stuff in it from any 7-Eleven store anyway. Look how they use nice-looking artwork on packaging so as to make it appear oh-so-delicious cuisine from a prestigeous airline.

ooo come one :angry: .................a well "dressed" snack box is still a snack box...it can never replace the hot meal eventhough how u proclaim that ur " snackbox" is healthy or wholesome or bla bla bla.. :fool: .....

the whole terrm like mh mentioned about their wholesome thing just make me think that they just want to make cheap thing sound wonderfull....

5 star airline with LCC cost huh...is that it???