MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

Rumour: MH to Cut Inflight Meals Beginning 1 October 2007

Hahahahaha ....we have been proved to be right...the 7% of us 'snek boks' haters!

Whoever planned the snek boks must have been out of his mind.

The meals look really cheap - FSVC at premium prices. Wow....that guy should have definitely flown KE to ICN!!!

Hahaha 9M-MAR - just read your last post...love it! MH should indeed feel shitty for letting everyone down. Also - the AK adverts are funny and smart. Keep up the good work TF.

i think MH still saves on fuel as these snackboxes are lighter than the usual trays???

On weight basis alone, I believe so.

But I wonder how the crew heats up the hot meals in those boxes? Must be much more of a hassle.

Need to remove cover of box before placing the heated meal in it. Other contents of box may have shifted within box, so need to clear some space for hotmeal. Then, replace cover of box.

Also, trays are reused. Boxes are given away.

Let's hear the MH PR spin on this "evolution".

Looks like the so called planners and surveyors are still not ready to face up to fact that the snek-boks are not working out. Heck, swallow your pride just this once, abandon the boks and bring back the meal trays ! Instead of continually experimenting with those boks like you're trying to justify their very introduction in the first place !

With those snack sized portions anyway, why not just make do with canapes and hors-d'oeuvres instead :)

Oh heck, hope I don't get blamed if they do take up the idea :rolleyes:

On my flight to Miri last Monday (21st July 08 MH2596). Didn't know they've added Fried Rice to the menu, so I ate Burger King before the flight or else I could've save my RM$..... <_<

Miri2210708004a.jpg

Miri2210708005a.jpg

Wasn't that tasty after all. The other option was Pineapple pizza. Dunno how it look as everybody in my row took the Fried Rice.

On the return flight, 24th July, same option only that its fried rice with crabmeat, the taste? even worse than the above. Minus the chocolate but with a biscuit (both my kids didn't even open the plastic packet) and fruits and a jelly. Talk about 5star service huh <_<

although i must say the MH personalized foil cover on the hot meal is a nice touch, (not going to re-open a can of worms that taste will surpass expectation") ;)

They should have labels in dual language air/water at the same prominence - realize that the small prints may have English(does it?) but at a glance, If I do not know Bahasa Malaysia - I will be laughing away that we call water "air".....

we have foreign visitors flying MH domestically and MH is an international carrier as well.....

It look nice and MAS improve bit on this issue..To Mr. Khalil,how it taste?it is Nasi Bryani ?

When MH introduce sandwich, people complained. When they re-introduce Asian dish (fried rice), people complained.

Guess either people are too demanding or perceived value (5 star) of MH is higher than service rendered :pardon:

:drinks:

I guess MH discovered that 'sandwic' cost a lot of money, and so it has now been redeployed to some domestic Golden Club Class menu, served on Noritake or Wedgwood fine china, accompanied by a selection of freshly cut fruits bursting with flavour. Selamat Menjamu Selera ........

Edited by Rozhan

It look nice and MAS improve bit on this issue..To Mr. Khalil,how it taste?it is Nasi Bryani ?

Sorry..can't answer that..should have put disclaimer that i borrowed the pic from a blog..an improvement anyway... :pardon:

I guess MH discovered that 'sandwic' cost a lot of money, and so it has now been redeployed to some domestic Golden Club Class menu, served on Noritake or Wedgwood fine china, accompanied by a selection of freshly cut fruits bursting with flavour. Selamat Menjamu Selera ........

Rozhan, I wish the crew could discribe the meal as nicely as you did. When I asked the crew what kind of "sandwic" she was offering me, she didn't know, ran back to the galley to find out!

When I asked the crew what kind of "sandwic" she was offering me, she didn't know, ran back to the galley to find out!

Oh dear! :mellow:

RM50 Mln Potential Revenue From Hot Meal Boxes On MAS Flights

PETALING JAYA, Aug 4 (Bernama) -- Hot meal boxes, currently offered on selected Malaysia Airlines (MAS) flights, are likely bring in RM50 million additional revenue annually, managing director and chief executive officer Datuk Seri Idris Jala said Monday.

Hot meal boxes are currently offered on selected flights from Kuala Lumpur to Penang, Kuching, Miri and Kota Kinabalu.

The boxes are also available on ASEAN flights between Kuala Lumpur and Bangkok, Yangon, Ho Chi Minh City, Phnom Penh, Jogjakarta, Phuket, Bandar Seri Begawan, Denpasar, Hanoi, Jakarta, Manila, Siem Reap, Surabaya and Singapore.

At a media briefing here Monday, Idris said the national carrier was introducing the meal boxes in response to customer preferences while optimising aircraft utilisation in line with MAS' business transformation plan.

"Many full-service carriers in the region like Thai Airways and Garuda as well as European carriers such as Lufthansa and KLM are already offering meal boxes, especially in their short to medium haul flights. Consequently, we decided to test this out," he said.

"This hybrid approach will see the return of all-time favourites such as nasi lemak and nasi goreng kampung as well as the introduction of new varieties. In addition, we have more menu options available and customers can now choose between an Asian or Western meal," he added.

A total of 37 menus are on offer over an eight-week cycle rotation to ensure that frequent travellers are able to enjoy a variety of meals.

New offerings include nasi impit with lontong, black pepper chicken balls with spaghetti and waffles with fruit fillings.

A permanent feature of the menu is the option of Western meals. Passengers will continue to enjoy unlimited in-flight beverages such as coffee, tea and fruit juices.

New children food and special meals, including vegetarian, are also progressively being developed and will be introduced by the end of this quarter.

"We are currently conducting a one month in-flight survey until Aug 15 and we will use the findings to continuously refine our meal offerings," Idris said.

-- BERNAMA

This latest twist in the evolution of the snake-bocx will push customer satisfaction from 93% to 100%. NOT! Why does it still make me boil inside everytime I hear a spin on it?

Hot meal boxes are currently offered on selected flights from Kuala Lumpur to Penang, Kuching, Miri and Kota Kinabalu.

-- BERNAMA

since when pen-kul got hot meal..

KUL - BKI

MH 2662 27 July 2008

they served either ( 1 ) chickerrrrn pizza - that was how the crew pronounced it, or ( 2 ) Chinese Fried Rice with fish.

Taste...so so..portion slighty small la-

Edited by affendi osman

PETALING JAYA, Aug 4 (Bernama) -- Hot meal boxes, currently offered on selected Malaysia Airlines (MAS) flights, are likely bring in RM50 million additional revenue annually, managing director and chief executive officer Datuk Seri Idris Jala said Monday.

Additional revenue from sales of hot meal box, additional ticket price or additional pax?

"Many full-service carriers in the region like Thai Airways and Garuda as well as European carriers such as Lufthansa and KLM are already offering meal boxes, especially in their short to medium haul flights. Consequently, we decided to test this out" he said.

Compared with cold sandwich, hot meal box is an improvement. MH is now comparable with Garuda :pardon:

Edited by KK Lee

Hot meal boxes are currently offered on selected flights from Kuala Lumpur to Penang, .....

The boxes are also available on ASEAN flights between Kuala Lumpur and ..... Singapore

Well, that would be an enhancement from even pre-snek boks times !

Though many I suspect would find it a bit challenging to chomp down a meal during those short hops - guzzle guzzle, gulp gulp, burp !

Nevertheless, good job and please keep the forward momentum going ! :good:

The boxes with hot meals are fine...just DO NOT EXPECT us to PAY for it as well. THe idiots want to make another RM50 million...can't be good news for us.

See:

So, we were right all along and MH has to eat humble pie. The folks who suggested "sandwic" were probably smoking something potent...

Btw the RM50m extra revenue is really an estimate on increased revenue earning potential from reducing the aircraft turnaround time by 5mins (from reduced catering requirements). So, throughout the day or system, a 734 may be able to make an extra trip or two.

See:

So, we were right all along and MH has to eat humble pie. The folks who suggested "sandwic" were probably smoking something potent...

Btw the RM50m extra revenue is really an estimate on increased revenue earning potential from reducing the aircraft turnaround time by 5mins (from reduced catering requirements). So, throughout the day or system, a 734 may be able to make an extra trip or two.