MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

Rumour: MH to Cut Inflight Meals Beginning 1 October 2007

Read it in airlinemeals.net that it is called the "aladdin tray", once used by USAir or United, cant remember...not very sure though if its the one MAS will be using soon...the joke about airline food since the beginning of time is that the food get reheated too long and the flavour, colour and everything else goes up in steam. To improve MAS snekbox,all they need to do is to put in some "sincerity" when putting in the types of food into the box...healthy, flavourful and not cold tasteless and unapplealing like those now...

I would be happy to get a crossaint filled with shredded chicken breast with mayo, or a french loaf with spicy tuna and mayo spread. MAS should also included halal dim sums like those served on HKG-Taipei routes on EVA and CX...two chicken siew mais, 2 prawn Har kau and a piece of Yam cake??? Or like the famous Air Asia Roti Jala and some curry gravy...how about steam chicken char siew bun? Im all for dim sums served on board...french toast served with honey for morning flights?? Sound good? Maybe I should start my own airline catering!

BTW, if Alan B reads this,may i know how do the FA knows how long they need to reheat the food?...and for the "long haul" Fokker 50 flights between KUL-KCH/BKI and KCH-Pontianak once upon a time, were hot meals ever served on these flights? How were the food served back then? Nice? Simple? Thank you!

I know many moons ago RBA used to serve hot meals on their F50 flight from KCH-BWN. Still remember the ahmoi pouring SEHAT mineral water.

...the joke about airline food since the beginning of time is that the food get reheated too long and the flavour, colour and everything else goes up in steam

It's no joke when such is served to oneself ! :)

Especially when one is hungry

BTW, if Alan B reads this,may i know how do the FA knows how long they need to reheat the food?...and for the "long haul" Fokker 50 flights between KUL-KCH/BKI and KCH-Pontianak once upon a time, were hot meals ever served on these flights? How were the food served back then? Nice? Simple? Thank you!

Depending on how frozen the meals are, using a convection oven on board I would heat at Medium setting for about 20 to 25 minutes. If heating breakfast omelettes, 15 minutes to prevent them becoming rubber!

Timing also depends if the meal is in a casarole or tin foil, chicken or steak etc. In business class where the meals were plated, the vegetables would set at Low setting for 15 minutes. One learns with experience on how best to ensure the meals are hot but not burnt.

In first and business class, we even warm the plates and cups, chill the side plates use for starters and desert.

If I recall correctly, the F50 operated by MH do not have a full size oven, only a small heating cabinet for the heating of crew meals. Ovens are not usually fitted in turbo-props as they operate very short sectors. The exception that I know of is Jet Airways where the ATR's have an extra galley with convection ovens.

I will be on a KUL-PEN-KUL same day turnaround next monday. Since it is a no service sector do they have any spare snackboxes onboard that i can ask for from the crew. I just want to take it home. :)

I flew from Miri to KL yesterday on MH, they actually served hot meal (tomoto rice with chicken OR butter rice with chicken) with the meal box. Has MH finally decided to do away with the cold salad and rojak?

Wah..really MH start to serve hot meal??Any fly with MH plez confirm back..we need to know if MH did an improvement/ serving back hot meal..thx

I too, was given a choice of either "Meatball Spaghetti" or "Nasi Goreng Kampung" on flight MH2616 from KUL back to BKI yesterday. Inside the snackbox, there were a packet of "Luxury vegetable biscuit", a kit kat bar and a bun and a butter. Quantity is almost the same as what they used to serve on tray last year.

I too, was given a choice of either "Meatball Spaghetti" or "Nasi Goreng Kampung" on flight MH2616 from KUL back to BKI yesterday.

OT: When MH got rid of their menu cards and now flash the menu options on the PTVs, I'm quite surprised it wasn't given a proper spin that it clearly deserved. The spin boys down at MH HQ should have toyed with the idea of saying look here chumps, we at MH are green, we don't waste paper on printing a menu. Add to that they could say that the snack boxes are made from recycled materials and saves on weight so less carbon emissions by the aircraft. bla bla bla. Looking at the current worries, being Green is a far acceptable reason to be cheap, not this Five Star Value Carrier mambo jumbo.

OT: When MH got rid of their menu cards and now flash the menu options on the PTVs, I'm quite surprised it wasn't given a proper spin that it clearly deserved. The spin boys down at MH HQ should have toyed with the idea of saying look here chumps, we at MH are green, we don't waste paper on printing a menu. Add to that they could say that the snack boxes are made from recycled materials and saves on weight so less carbon emissions by the aircraft. bla bla bla. Looking at the current worries, being Green is a far acceptable reason to be cheap, not this Five Star Value Carrier mambo jumbo.

hey man, relak...

we all know that MH spin doctors have always been slow on the uptake. This explains their very poor marketing efforts through out the airline's history. So why should this be any different? Man if only I could get a peek inside this coveted department and see what the hell is going on?! I am just teeming with ideas I wish I could go bang the tables of the Marketing Divison and slap some heads...

hey man, relak...

we all know that MH spin doctors have always been slow on the uptake. This explains their very poor marketing efforts through out the airline's history. So why should this be any different? Man if only I could get a peek inside this coveted department and see what the hell is going on?! I am just teeming with ideas I wish I could go bang the tables of the Marketing Divison and slap some heads...

Yup, I agree... seriously lacking in right stuff. Even with SQ poaching many talented Malaysians, MH should be able to do better. Take a look at what AK's spin doctors come up with routinely and these guys work with less resources than the mighty government backed MH.

2008-07-03_003.jpg

:drinks:

Classic AK marketing, witty, attention seeking and does the job.

:rofl: , i posted a similiar but not exactly the same at other sub topic too ..... here is the picture :

DSC03524.jpg

:rofl:

I think we may be at the point to get an answer or solution to the question that this thread is asking on... 'How to Improve MH's Snackbox?'

The answer may be just that, AK's brilliant advertisements bashing on MH's '5 Star' inflight meals. Feeling shitty (which MH should be), maybe we can expect the hot meals in trays making a comeback into the cabin of MH's old aircrafts *fingers' crossed*

I hope AK will hang the 'Paying 5 Star Getting Peanut' advertisement all over KUL Main Terminal Building (although AK don't have any business to do there, which makes it even more brilliant) to create more inferiority complex and shitty feeling within MH for introducing the snackboxes.

I think we may be at the point to get an answer or solution to the question that this thread is asking on... 'How to Improve MH's Snackbox?'

The answer may be just that, AK's brilliant advertisements bashing on MH's '5 Star' inflight meals. Feeling shitty (which MH should be), maybe we can expect the hot meals in trays making a comeback into the cabin of MH's old aircrafts *fingers' crossed*

I hope AK will hang the 'Paying 5 Star Getting Peanut' advertisement all over KUL Main Terminal Building (although AK don't have any business to do there, which makes it even more brilliant) to create more inferiority complex and shitty feeling within MH for introducing the snackboxes.

Agree on that. AK has trounced MH on inflight meals for domestic sectors, even for the shortest of routes. And I like the last sentence Azizul :)

Thanks for posting those brilliant advertisment pictures guys. Those AK marketing folks really check-mate MH's own department.

Agree :rofl: :rofl: . MH on inflight meals for PEN-KUL only got kacang, even i flying with Garuda for Medan-Banda Acheh i will get Small Snack Box :pardon: :pardon: .

Wah, Ewan Shamsudin is Indoflyer's Trip Report Forum Moderator. Is GerryAirways = Gerry Soejatman? Yang pake minivan itu... yang isterinya awak kabin Sriwijaya Air itu?

Wah, Ewan Shamsudin is Indoflyer's Trip Report Forum Moderator. Is GerryAirways = Gerry Soejatman? Yang pake minivan itu... yang isterinya awak kabin Sriwijaya Air itu?

Yang Jerry aka Mandala? Ada mobil mini?

How could they defy 93% opinion survey to bring back heavy, unhealthy, high carbo meal?

So, this is clearly one of the signs that the snackbox with sandwic (sic) may have been a failure. You can see the evolution from supposedly 93%-approved "healthy" contents to what the contents are recently. Before long, you may just get to see the reappaerance of the traditional tray.

Of course, MH's PR spin will go along the lines of "meeting the varied tastes of our beloved passengers".