MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

Rumour: MH to Cut Inflight Meals Beginning 1 October 2007

Something new regarding the MH snekbox.

There is a plan to introduce hot meals ( included inside the box ) in the near future. On a recent CGK flt 19 dishes was brought aboard as a trial.There will be around 38 dishes altogether before when this new offering starts although maybe only 3 or 4 choices will be available on any given flight. Examples of the dishes are nasi lemak, fried rice, fried noodles, a few variety of pizzas, waffles, pasta and many more. Can't imagine the portion will be too generous considering the size of the box but at least it looks much better than the much derided "sanwic".

Something for the better perhaps.

Good to know. When will they be officially implementing this measure? Kesian MAS... whatever they do they seem to kena hantam left-right-center. You think i will dapat this hot snekboks in Dec? I have 4 sectors with them leh... SIN-KCH-BKI and back.

If they are going to reintroduce hot meals, why use the snackbox instead of the usual tray? Wouldn't it be cheaper to reuse the trays instead of the disposable boxes. After all they are currently trying to look enviromentally friendly with their carbon offset programme. If they really want to save the forest, than stop using disposable boxes to serve meals.

If they are going to reintroduce hot meals, why use the snackbox instead of the usual tray? Wouldn't it be cheaper to reuse the trays instead of the disposable boxes. After all they are currently trying to look enviromentally friendly with their carbon offset programme. If they really want to save the forest, than stop using disposable boxes to serve meals.

Alan..I think you are missing the point here....It is not so much of the price of a meal served onboard as I believe that box meal or hot meal - the cost differential is very marginal. However, it is by doing this way, they could reduce operating cost from the removal of one crew onboard as well as equipment in galley that contribute to the Variable Cost. My two cents!

Over a botak man with a goatie eating?

Or, you'd prefer a hirsute man with a goatee eating? :D

Focus on the roti canai, Ryan... not on the model... heheheheh.

Alan..I think you are missing the point here....It is not so much of the price of a meal served onboard as I believe that box meal or hot meal - the cost differential is very marginal. However, it is by doing this way, they could reduce operating cost from the removal of one crew onboard as well as equipment in galley that contribute to the Variable Cost. My two cents!

The size of the snackbox is the same as a "half size" tray that is used for service on a B737-400 which means the same amount of carts would need to be loaded. The weight saved is also very marginal. I think 3 crew ( 2 for the service in the cabin and 1 for galley loading/replenishement of carts) would still be needed for the loading of the hot meals from the oven to the snackbox. Infact it would take longer time to load as the individual boxes would have to be opened to place the heated meal inside. With a tray, the crew only has to slide the hot meal into the tray which is faster. Hard to explain this whole loading of meals but you would understand if you did it every day for 8 years.

My real point in my post was that disposable boxes contradicts their claim to be enviromentally friendly by inviting passsenger to contribute to a carbon offset programme, when they themselves should embrace "green practices" in their everyday operations. It is a waste to dispose the boxes after using only once, compared to trays, metal cutlery and plastic cups that can be offloaded to be washed for thousands of times. The snackboxes also have a lot a individual plastic wrapping which is wasteful. :rolleyes:

Edited by Alan B.

The size of the snackbox is the same as a "half size" tray that is used for service on a B737-400 which means the same amount of carts would need to be loaded. The weight saved is also very marginal. I think 3 crew ( 2 for the service in the cabin and 1 for galley loading/replenishement of carts) would still be needed for the loading of the hot meals from the oven to the snackbox. Infact it would take longer time to load as the individual boxes would have to be opened to place the heated meal inside. With a tray, the crew only has to slide the hot meal into the tray which is faster. Hard to explain this whole loading of meals but you would understand if you did it every day for 8 years.

I Heard that they are going to use new technology, the meal will be reheated on ground and sealed using a plastic wrap that would retain the heat....so i gues no more loading the meal into the box as per the current practices.... Further more, there would only be 2 cabin crew in Economy Class.

Edited by EddieDaniel

Actually that is Aeroline bus which departs for KL just next to my house. I am thinking about taking it to KL to catch my D7 flight to Perth. However, their return tickets are not cheap man. SGD98.00!!!

Saw in evening news IJ's interview on raising surcharge come Friday. On the visual there was a cute FA brandishing a tray of hot meal proudly. In the background there was a large economy boarding pass. What was this supposed to mean? Be glad that we are serving you ANY food at all in Y class?? After switching to cold unpalatable snack box on regional flights, MH still got the audacity to 'show off' hot meal. Isn't that supposed to be a norm in '5 star carrier'?

IJ also pleaded with Malaysians to fly MH, not foreign carrier. Oops, just booked KUL-TXL with KLM because of your poor connectivity and relatively higher fares.

(Sorry for ranting again - I get this cycle of silence-MH bashing intermittently when something like this triggers me off)

Actually that is Aeroline bus which departs for KL just next to my house. I am thinking about taking it to KL to catch my D7 flight to Perth. However, their return tickets are not cheap man. SGD98.00!!!

Well Ryan you may consider First Coach, SGD$55 return depart from Novena Square (Tel: 22873311 - 7am to 7pm) and Arrive in Bangsar LRT Station (which means just 1 station away to KL Sentral to catch the RM9 bus to LCCT). From KL back to Singapore their office/station just 1 minutes walk from Bangsar LRT, behind 7 Eleven, easily visible from the LRT station.

They have 6 departures per day from 7.30am to 6.30pm.

IJ also pleaded with Malaysians to fly MH, not foreign carrier.

Oh yes, I heard it too during TV3's News. He even suggested not to fly certain airlines, explicitly saying the names of airline companies. Are things that bad at MH nowadays?

Oh yes, I heard it too during TV3's News. He even suggested not to fly certain airlines, explicitly saying the names of airline companies. Are things that bad at MH nowadays?

As a Malaysian, we always give preference to MH. However, doesn’t means we will pay any surcharge or premium fare over foreign carriers for poorer service.

:drinks:

As Malaysia National Carrier and well establish airline name in world..i proud to fly any part of world on board with MAS with Malaysian Hospitality..but it doesn't mean that we are prohibit to pay more for other national carrier just because our in-flight service,including in-flight meal never, cope with current trend..we 10 year back..

Almost 300 comments were post only on this single topic and i love to hear at least once any MAS management team to response on this issue..we condemn not because we head MAS but we still love with MAS so they can change for better service to make at least 90% of passengers feel our hospitality in various aspect in a single journey..

Courtesy from;

http://www.to-eat-or-to-live.blogspot.com/

44439938lz5.jpg

May be MH can learn hospitality from bus company.

:drinks:

wow. my sis's blog post on aeroline bus. Anyways, I still have to agree that MH have to serve hot meals. That's why people take the 5star carrier as opposed to some budget airlines. The difference in price that we pay for MH is supposed to include good service and meals so I guess the snackbox is really a bad idea after all.

Ok guys further "how to improve MH snekboks" pointers.

Let's play comparison game...

Compare this

20080701-p4y275g7ru7aqbkkj1xhqhrfn7.jpg

Breakfast on MH BKI-KUL 28 Jun 2008

with these

20080701-g8m6ht2qqhy9gmd88m31xxpein.jpg

20080701-qe492muy8yefcyymdnwkcwn3ji.jpg

20080701-nij3if23rp5ke9brqwtt9bb5rd.jpg

20080701-fhe7mj2x855painngiaqac2fh3.jpg

Lunch on AK KUL-BKI 30 Jun 2008

Give-away question: Which one would you stomach better?

Oh ya? Lain padang, lain belalang.

Malaysia Airlines must be very proud to serve such a delectable inflight meal to its esteemed passangers. How I miss flying the premium carrier, with its fleet of modern aircraft and beautifully appointed cabin..... :)

Finally got a taste of the "coveted" snackbox... tapaued..

Missing from the package is a not so hot nasi lemak ... YUCKSSS. But the box is nice! hehehehe Going to wallap the rest of it now.. Yucksyucksyucks...

MH2663 BKI-KUL

snekbox2.jpg

snekbox1.jpg

Walter thats box reminds me of my previous few flight with MH. All i can say is the quality of the food has improved recently. As far as im aware the color and design of the boxes doesnt differentiate the contents inside.

I Heard that they are going to use new technology, the meal will be reheated on ground and sealed using a plastic wrap that would retain the heat....so i gues no more loading the meal into the box as per the current practices.... Further more, there would only be 2 cabin crew in Economy Class.

Read it in airlinemeals.net that it is called the "aladdin tray", once used by USAir or United, cant remember...not very sure though if its the one MAS will be using soon...the joke about airline food since the beginning of time is that the food get reheated too long and the flavour, colour and everything else goes up in steam. To improve MAS snekbox,all they need to do is to put in some "sincerity" when putting in the types of food into the box...healthy, flavourful and not cold tasteless and unapplealing like those now...

I would be happy to get a crossaint filled with shredded chicken breast with mayo, or a french loaf with spicy tuna and mayo spread. MAS should also included halal dim sums like those served on HKG-Taipei routes on EVA and CX...two chicken siew mais, 2 prawn Har kau and a piece of Yam cake??? Or like the famous Air Asia Roti Jala and some curry gravy...how about steam chicken char siew bun? Im all for dim sums served on board...french toast served with honey for morning flights?? Sound good? Maybe I should start my own airline catering!

BTW, if Alan B reads this,may i know how do the FA knows how long they need to reheat the food?...and for the "long haul" Fokker 50 flights between KUL-KCH/BKI and KCH-Pontianak once upon a time, were hot meals ever served on these flights? How were the food served back then? Nice? Simple? Thank you!

... and KCH-Pontianak once upon a time, were hot meals ever served on these flights? How were the food served back then? Nice? Simple? Thank you!

The KCH-PNK-KCH is just a short half an hour international sector (each way). The distance of the 2 airports are only 130 miles away. I had the opportunity to fly on the KCH-PNK sector on 8 occasions and the PNK-KCH sector on 7 occasions with MH before PNK was axed on 1 April 2006. All flights were operated by the F50 in an all economy class 50 seats cabin.

MH served light refreshments on those flights. Usually 2 pieces of sandwitches (tuna and turkey) and also a cake/muffin. This refreshments were accompanied by a glass of juice and also the usual coffee/tea selection. I don't have any photo to show because back then, I have yet to begin to document my travel extensively as now.

Edited by Mohd Azizul Ramli