MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

Rumour: MH to Cut Inflight Meals Beginning 1 October 2007

well i guess as this topic would be how to improve mh SNAKEBOX aka snekboks aka etc ......... IMO , ewan's signature says it all ........ :D ...

There will be a kiddie snekbok too, slated to be introduced sometime April 2008. I saw a slide exhibit of it at the world famous MAS Travel Fair hospitality area on Friday.

Bon Appetit! Even children are going to be screwed.

Noooooooooooooo!!! NOT the children!!!!! Save ourselves and our families/friends....fly EK!!!

or SQ. whatever.

I like Ewan's snek boks advert!

Edited by Izanee

Noooooooooooooo!!! NOT the children!!!!! Save ourselves and our families/friends....fly EK!!!

hmmm....

maybe we should use this as a new marketing gimmick in Malaysia... :pardon:

Some pics to share of the just concluded MATF, on what the future holds for MAS meals .......

A smile first to welcome you on board

MATF01.jpg

MATF02.jpg

The kiddie meal

MATF06.jpg

Hot Seal Meal, anyone?

MATF07.jpg

MATF08.jpg

MATF09.jpg

MATF10.jpg

MATF11.jpg

How MAS benchmarks itself with others

MATF04.jpg

MATF03.jpg

MATF05.jpg

Terima kasih.

By the way, I could not find a single slide showing the much-loved snekbok. Please excuse the mobile-phone quality pictures

Hot Seal Meal, anyone?

MATF07.jpg

MATF10.jpg

Isn't the "heat seal meal" for ex-Europe flights contradict with their "EY new tray layout concept"? :pardon:

The heat seal meal looked like as if it was taken straight from the ready meal section in the supermarket. :p

HC Chai...exactly what i said before. the new meals look like they are the microwaveable packs from tescos or whatever. I have experienced them on my LHR-KUL flights and the portions are a lot smaller. The food choices were particularly grim and NOT of the standard associated with MAS. The meals were not tasty at all.

This is what MAS will be dishing out from now on - my worst fears have been realised. IJ&Co have made one massive cock-up. And the worst thing is that they stand proud and refuse to back down despite customers making a hue and cry over it (looking at the NST letters).

No ONE has come in support of the snack box in the mainstream media - the 93% 'yes' vote that they quote looks like a load of bullcrap.

MAS should just cut the crap and stop pretending to be a five star carrier. Just say that they want to compete with AK and everybody will be happy. Cut the prices too if they are going to cut the crap.

Edited by Izanee

The heat seal meal looked like as if it was taken straight from the ready meal section in the supermarket. :p

Yes, but then the "reputable supplier" remains undefined for now - could be the local tandoori or chinese take away joint a few doors down the road from some station manager's home in London, for all we know ! :)

That meal portion in the EY tray looks absolutely stunning - is that meant to feed two ? Never seen anything like that in all my experience with MAS, and it is claimed that will cost less nowadays - wonderful ! ;)

Hey, here is an idea. Just dish out those "heat seal meals" at commencement of flight, indicate to EY pax where microwaves are situated, then pax will have convenience of choosing their own meal time - or 'ta-pau' the stuff home if one so chooses. Would then allow for lesser workload for cabin crew ie. can have less members per flight or renegotiate with union for less pay. Any which way, more cost savings.

Perhaps in the BTP2 mid term review we'll see another impressive graphical representation of pax's preference (overwhelmingly >93%, my speculation here !) for this meal presentation as compared to the tedious process we put up with nowadays :rolleyes:

Edited by BC Tam

in bolehland, anything is possible. by the way...does anyone think that there are spies on this forum working on behalf of IJ&co? I don't know about you but I am feeling a bit paranoid. :wacko:

Edited by Izanee

in bolehland, anything is possible. by the way...does anyone think that there are spies on this forum working on behalf of IJ&co? I don't know about you but I am feeling a bit paranoid. :wacko:

If there are then it would be for the best I suppose. If they can please all of us, then they can indeed please EVERYONE. :yahoo:

I was looking at the "Standee" that showed the network for MAS. They fly to so many places meh?

Don't be deceived by the picture. That route map is inclusive of codeshare, INTERLINE/SPA and freight destinations. You can get one from Going Places February 2008 issue.

by the way...does anyone think that there are spies on this forum working on behalf of IJ&co? I don't know about you but I am feeling a bit paranoid.

I sure hope so. Please there is. (To add more drama), I am actually suspecting a few names. Heheh...

Guess in Wave 3 of cost cutting, MH is ‘upgrading’ Malaysian Hospitality on long haul from restaurant dining to supermarket’s microwave TV dinner.

Bet my 2 cents, MH survey will show this ‘upgrading’ will be overwhelmed with pax satisfaction.

Believe IJ&co couldn’t get any more better, accurate and honest feed back than here.

:drinks:

Spies....IJ...... We flatter ourselves so much.....I don't think they care two hoots about what is being said here, with namecalling and derogatory labelling and posts laced with emotion.

As I said previously,the occasionnal good intelligent postings here are constantly eroded by the frequent moaning that runs like a broken record. Its just too bad because there ARE gems of intellectual content which amaze me but are sadly swamped by common crap.

Guys, just keep on posting your honest opinion, after all, when challenged, we can always hide behind the ' its an internet forum, anyone can say anything' or ' I just posted it to elicite a response' etc etc.

Kinda like group self gratification.

About the snekboks, my personal opinion is its an inevitable move but perhaps should be done 'properly'. And in time the 'proper' part will happen.

Talking about inflight catering, I have several questions:

1. If a flight has 200 pax and crew on a 300-seater a/c, do they load meal for 200 pax or 300?

2. What do airlines do with excess meal after the flight?

3. While it is normal on short sector (eg KUL-BKK vv) to have same catering, is it normal (or possible in the first place) to have same catering for longhaul (eg KUL-LHR vv)? and

4. How MAS handle kosher meal?

Thx in advance :)

Talking about inflight catering, I have several questions:

4. How MAS handle kosher meal?

From another one of my very successful thread in A.Net.

Fellow A.Netter, Isz1 once mentioned,

For MH,

Muslim Meals

Pork meat in any form is strictly prohibited. Fish, eggs and vegetables dishes are popular and rice, as a side dish is always acceptable. Animals and poultry such as cows and chicken must be slaughtered according to Muslim rites.

Kosher Meals - Orthodox Jews

Pork meat in any form is strictly prohibited.Other meat dishes are acceptable provided that dairy produce (butter, eggs, cheese, etc), do not form part of the same meal. Therefore, when meat forms part of the same meal, bread will be taken without butter, coffee of tea without milk, etc. Animals and poultry such as cows and chicken must be slaughtered in a special manner called shechita. Catfish, eels, or dish with suet also prohibited.

Serving Kosher Meal onboard MH

Kosher meal will be supplied in sealed boxes and must be stowed in separate containers apart from normal uplift. Sealed boxes will be opened only by the person having the meal before heating. Kosher meal to be heated on separate oven or (if no empty oven) on top of the oven rung/on top of other meals.

Here is the link to the full thread, for those who are interested. It discusses about airlines that serve halal meals as STANDARD meals onboard. http://www.airliners.net/discussions/gener...ad.main/2968763

Some pics to share of the just concluded MATF, on what the future holds for MAS meals .......

A smile first to welcome you on board

[**Pics removed**]

Terima kasih.

By the way, I could not find a single slide showing the much-loved snekbok. Please excuse the mobile-phone quality pictures

I do wonder if such slides were actually intended for the retail, price-sensitive (remember it was the MATF) crowd. As some of you pointed out, there are some informational gaps and contradictions like the heat-seal meals vs the new EY layout. Also, the narative for heat seal meals talks about cost improvement - but for whom? Certainly not an improvement from the customer's point of view.

To me, it is an inappropriate piece of slideshow for the general travelling public. The slideshow, in my mind, should complement somebody giving a verbal presentation with all the missing details.

MH would have been a lot fair to the travelling public if it comes clean and not pretend to be what it is not. Then, perhaps, the snackbox might find its place, and I do wonder, as stated a few posts earlier, if a buy-a-hot-meal could complement the free-snackbox concept, if this is the way to go.

Guest Michael

I hope that these changes MAS implies will lure more people to flying with the airline, I know in and out of Perth here, the load is usually full as MAS enjoys no competition.

..... I don't think they care two hoots about what is being said here, .....

Well, there's a slice of honesty there at least :) Never mind, there are always plenty of surveys that can be called upon, those should be worth the necessary two hoots I reckon

..... but are sadly swamped by common crap.

On my part, I offer my personal apologies should any of my previous replies fallen short of your expected intelligence threshold. Other fellow crappers may have differing opinions .....

About the snekboks, my personal opinion is its an inevitable move but perhaps should be done 'properly'. And in time the 'proper' part will happen.

Inevitable it may be for MH, perhaps not for her competitors ? And whilst we await the 'proper' part to come about, snekboks in it's current form will be doing the damage, 93% acceptance success not withstanding

:db:

1. If a flight has 200 pax and crew on a 300-seater a/c, do they load meal for 200 pax or 300?

Airline normally will uplift meal for 200 pax but cutlery, plates, cups for full 300 pax.

2. What do airlines do with excess meal after the flight?

By regulation, all excess or left over airline food supposed to discard even unopened orange juice. However, unopened wine and spirits is bonded, will be recycled.

3. While it is normal on short sector (eg KUL-BKK vv) to have same catering, is it normal (or possible in the first place) to have same catering for longhaul (eg KUL-LHR vv)?

Depending on airline and sector, in the old day on MH long haul, in addition of main and dessert, will have appetizer which is absent from short regional.

:drinks:

wow...caught hook line and sinker! Was not talking about you capt nik..i know you are reading silently. I meant jani and michael. they seem to be very much enamoured by IJ&co.

Azizul, BC Tam - we have our list of suspects! They should be labelled 'Lovers of MAS'.

Capt Nik - as a fellow crapper, I feel ashamed that my postings are below the required level of intelligence. I didn't realise that this was an unofficial MAS boardroom meeting. Should I change my scrubs for a suit and tie whenever I post here? What do you think?? ;)

I am impressed they weighed their meals for the purposes of the slides. Where is this new concept EY tray? The ones I had from London were the 'heat seal' ones - the tray and everything else on it looked cheap. The portion was definitely smaller. Or maybe i'm losing my mind. MAS propaganda is getting worse and worse.

I remember the LAT cartoon in the 80s where a guy asked for lobster as he saw the ads on TV, not realising that he only had chicken or beef for EY. Back then, even EY food was tasty.

Another point to pick - slide which says they flew OVER 16 million pax/year - they only flew about 14 million last year. Down year-on-year.

Edited by Izanee

I consider myself as a staunch supporter of MH...that's y i was gutted at being served those snackboxes...if it was MASWings / FFly / AK..i don't mind a bit..but MH? Come on..as i've always considered MH a premium airline..and wouldn't mind paying extra dosh for it..

Supporter takes on a number of types. One type is supporting it blindly and follow everything someone said (much like a religion) and are prepared to defend things. The other type will question whether what they receive is actually a good or bad deal. Consider yourself the latter type, I suppose.

Whether MH is a premium airline or not, it is up to them to prove to us that they are worthy. As of now, many of us don't seemed to think so.

I have experienced them on my LHR-KUL flights and the portions are a lot smaller. The food choices were particularly grim and NOT of the standard associated with MAS. The meals were not tasty at all.

Sorry to hear about that! I haven't flown MH ex-LHR since 2005. And I doubt I will be flying with them anytime soon - not just because of the food, but lots of other reasons too.... These days the cheapest ex-LHR fare offered by MH is similar to the more flexible (W class fare) offered by SQ. At least on SQ they feed you well and you get 100% krisflyer miles (MH only gives 30%). Plus nice little touches such as hot towels, menu and amenity kit.

Looking at the microwave meal pic, now I have one less reason to fly MH. And come this March, I have one more reason to fly SQ - their A380 is coming! :lol: