MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

Rumour: MH to Cut Inflight Meals Beginning 1 October 2007

aiyoo..want to do survey...do it properly la. the problem is that we need to see the exact questions and wordings. additionally, MAS knows what the real answer will be so they choose a selected few to skew the results. also filling in by own staff is helpful to put the snackbox in a good light.

Regarding the survery, MH claims that they have more than 1 million Enrich members. At least the questionairre could have been extended to us, but NO. Apart from the quarterly World of Riches newsletter, there is no other exciting thing being given to us for becomming an Enrich member.

I was traveling on a domestic MH flight with a guy from Denmark few weeks back and we discussed about this thing. Funny how he mentioned that he prefers to have this kind of 'light' snacks (etc: sandwiches) instead of hot meals on a short flight. It's much healthier and light for a business trip. Well i did not agree with him definitely. After all we Asians need real meal! haha.

How to improve? Probably by serving this only on domestic flights or improving the quality of snacks. Throw in a ala Subway SAndwich for flights on mealtime (lunch/dinner). MHO

Edited by Azuan Zahdi

Regarding the survery, MH claims that they have more than 1 million Enrich members. At least the questionairre could have been extended to us, but NO. Apart from the quarterly World of Riches newsletter, there is no other exciting thing being given to us for becomming an Enrich member.

Ye tak ye jugak..... So I guess Enrich members are 'not fit enough' to help MAS out in creating better products and services. Enrich members who are supposedly frequent flyers of MAS......!!

the fact that you get less miles for flying than other FF programs shows you how much MAS cares for its loyal customers. we, the 1 million enrich members don't really matter cos MAS has its BTP2. That will brings its profits in. I am sooooo keen to know HOW that will happen.

passenger figures have dropped 9.7% from 15.46 million in 2006 to 13.96 million in 2007. What kind of market share is that? Domestic pax figures are down 23.5% year on year.

SIA is growing from strength to strength despite increasing competition from LCCs. why? cos they are not fighting tooth and nail with LCCs. They are a class above the rest. And people know it. MAS is NOT (unfortunately) and people are leaving it....better FSVC around elsewhere.

Breakfast- yogurt, cereal, milk, fruit.

Lunch- heated sandwich, say like subway or starbucks, in ovensafe bag with crisps and chocolate on the side, in a mini snackpack.

Dinner-pita bread foldover with beef slices and such, cake slice and fruit.

They could do a lot of stuff actually, seeing how many mini-items are available in the market for a quick snack. Maybe its time for real Malaysian Hospitality and not some hastily prepared Malaysian hostility packs. Incorporate local desserts? Kuih? Can they last?

the fact that you get less miles for flying than other FF programs shows you how much MAS cares for its loyal customers. we, the 1 million enrich members don't really matter cos MAS has its BTP2. That will brings its profits in. I am sooooo keen to know HOW that will happen.

passenger figures have dropped 9.7% from 15.46 million in 2006 to 13.96 million in 2007. What kind of market share is that? Domestic pax figures are down 23.5% year on year.

SIA is growing from strength to strength despite increasing competition from LCCs. why? cos they are not fighting tooth and nail with LCCs. They are a class above the rest. And people know it. MAS is NOT (unfortunately) and people are leaving it....better FSVC around elsewhere.

And MAS talks about 'Flying to Win Customers' in BTP! Obviously they have lost customers in the past year, and set to loose even more this year, and the years ahead :D Well done!

Wonder if this 'Flying to Loose Customers' is the reason why they are not in the mood to divulge in detail its BTP2. Lots of 'negatives' in the statistics!!

Rozhan...you could be right. They were making such a hue and cry over the announcement of their BTP2....when they announced it, no one could be more vague than MAS. The statistics are there for all to see ... i'm surprised they still put it on their website.

Another letter to the NST re. MH's fake 5-star & "wonderful" snackbox - pax felt cheated! Perhaps time for another letter from Izanee this time just on this snackbox matter to keep the momentum going?

2008/02/14

Malaysia Airlines: Nothing five-star about its meal box

By : J.L., Puchong, Selangor

MALAYSIA Airlines deludes itself if it thinks it can persuade its customers with its latest "five-star value carrier" slogan.

I have already switched over to budget airlines for domestic routes, and wherever possible, I will continue to choose other regional or budget airline carriers which do not deliver the kind of confused brand identity MAS does.

MAS rationalises its business transformation plan using consultants who benchmark it against relative global unknowns like Aer Lingus, Chile's LAN and Air Canada.

News of "huge acceptance" of its meal boxes would have been laughable if I was not one of its unfortunate passengers who was unprepared for its light morsels of hard cereal bites, cold chicken and cheese sandwiches - and had to silently suffer the lack of alternative choices.

That 'sandwic' looks like it contains some form of WHISKAS or FRISKIES as filling...

yuck.

20 piece nuggets for the win :)

and had to silently suffer the lack of alternative choices.

AK's single fare KUL-KCH is RM129. MAS on the other hand charges RM246. AK offers nasi lemak & nasi bryani in nearly all of its flights, and they only cost RM8. Which one would you fly? :rolleyes:

I was traveling on a domestic MH flight with a guy from Denmark few weeks back and we discussed about this thing. Funny how he mentioned that he prefers to have this kind of 'light' snacks (etc: sandwiches) instead of hot meals on a short flight.

Judging by how well SAS deals with their sandwic, I can see why he prefers light meals.

http://www.flysas.com/en/Travel-info/On_bo...t-haul_flights/

Edited by Keno Omar

AK's single fare KUL-KCH is RM129. MAS on the other hand charges RM246. AK offers nasi lemak & nasi bryani in nearly all of its flights, and they only cost RM8. Which one would you fly? :rolleyes:

His "lack of alternatives" was referring to not having a choice with the meals....i.e. take the snackbox as is or stay hungry. Once you are onboard the MH flight, one cannot realistically switch to AK at that juncture.

As a side note, at least on AK one can pay to have a choice.

mushrif bro..already sent this one to the nst!

Dear Sir,

I refer to Idris Jala's Business Turnaround Plan 2 (BTP2) and 'MALAYSIA AIRLINES: A lot of work for MAS to get RM1b' by P. George (NST, 4th Feb 2008). P. George has made many excellent points about how the BTP may not achieve its stated goal. The exact details of achieving RM1.5 billion profit in 2012 is not mentioned. Another reason is that MAS is losing its market share. Just look at their operational statistics on their website www.mas.com.my. The total passengers carried recorded a 9.7% decrease from 15.46 million in 2006 to 13.96 million in 2007. Worryingly, the domestic passengers carried recorded a 23% decrease. If there are not passengers, how can you achieve the stated profits.

It seems that they have now ditched their 'Five-star at low cost' slogan which they proudly trumpeted not so long ago. They now claim to be a 'Five-star value carrier' (FSVC) with premium inflight products and the world's best cabin crew. While I agree that MAS has excellent cabin crews, their so-called 'premium' product is at least 10 years behind SIA.

SIA is still the world leader in innovation and premium services while MAS has taken a backward step. They claim to have benchmarked against other airlines such as LAN, Aer Lingus and Air Canada. How can a so-called 'Five star' airline benchmark itself against these airlines which have been voted as 'Three star' airlines by Skytrax? Should they not benchmark against other 'Five star' airlines such as SIA, Qatar, Cathay Pacific or Asiana?

As P.George stated, MAS needs to increase the number of first or business class passengers to improve its yields. Their idea of cutting back on premium passengers and increasing seat density in economy class will only turn away more passengers who want to travel long haul in comfort.

Speaking to many people in the aviation industry and passengers who travel long haul has shown that many people chose MAS as it provided excellent inflight entertainment, the widest seat pitch in economy (34 inches versus SIA's 32-33 inches), great food and outstanding cabin crews.

Once the seat density is increased, why would passengers want to fly MAS when they can fly Air Asia X to London for much less? One cannot help but draw comparisons with Aer Lingus' (the national airline of Ireland) fight for survival against the massive growth of Ryanair (one of the pioneers of low cost travel in Europe). Instead of maintaining its position as a full frills carrier, it decided to compete head to head with Ryanair by becoming a 'value carrier' aka low cost carrier. This was the reason Aer Lingus was removed from the OneWorld alliance. MAS should learn from that lesson and concentrate on being a full frills world class airline. There is enough room in Malaysia for both MAS and Air Asia to operate without the need to destroy one another.

MAS' strategy in the long run is to join a strategic alliance. Even the profitable SIA realised the benefits of joining a major alliance a long time ago despite the fact that Singapore attracted a large number of business passengers due to its position as a world financial hub.

MAS already turned down the opportunity to join OneWorld alliance as a founder member alongside British Airways and Qantas. Airline alliances will greatly benefit from MAS' extensive Australian and Asian network. Major Indian and Chinese airlines are joining the three major airline alliances and if MAS waits for 5 years, they will not be needed as other airlines provide the necessary network coverage.

KLIA wants to rival Changi and Bangkok in being a preferred air hub. It cannot do this without MAS and Air Asia working together instead of against each other. We want to see KLIA become the foremost hub in the region so that it will reap greater economic rewards for Malaysia, just like what Changi provides to Singapore. Waiting for 2012 for MAS to join an alliance will be detrimental to MAS and KLIA's aspirations to be an air hub. This should be expedited rather than delayed any further. We, as Malaysians, are all proud of what MAS represented not so long ago and would love to see MAS soaring high once again as a world class carrier.

Yours sincerely,

Back when MAS flies Fokker 50 under MAS not MASwings, I took a KCH-BTU-BKI flight. KCH-BTU was just a cup of juice and the flight was 1 hour. On the next sector, 1hour and 15 mins, we were served 2 pieces of sandwiches. Both with roasted chicken breast with lecttuce and mayo to keep it moist.Not bad coz they offer coffee/tea and juice. On the direct KCH-BKI you will get a "golf ball sized" crossaint or bun with chicken ham filling with tomatoes and mayo.Try MASwings, on their BTU-BKI sector, they'll five you a nice blue/green MASwings box with Milo,Sandwich(1 chicken and 1 eggfilling i think) and Cadbury Bytes.I love the box...really nice...square,blue all over with green "daun midin" logo across the box.Sorry,no pic.

http://www.malaysianwings.com/forum/index....=7316&st=40

go to Mike CHai's flightlog...see the box and content of MASwings' Snack Box!hehehe...nice box....MAS has nice box, but like my mum say...."Not as if you can eat the box!" hahahaha!

Improve snack box? According to BTP2, further cut in inflight meal is expected. :angry:

May be someone should open a bento or ‘meal on a tray/box’ shop at KUL satellite terminal for MH long haul pax.

:drinks:

Cheapskates. But then again I think it is good that MAS is shooing away people to other airlines so that other airlines can grow. Prosper thy neighbours? Bagus MAS :good:

IJ should put his face on the snack box. Then the passenger satisfaction will go up a notch or two. Anyways...haven't heard from NST yet.

Edited by Izanee

Compare the real sandwich served by Emirates (4 star) versus sandwic served by MAS (kononnya 5 star). Malu!!!!! :sorry:

With the right preparation (not some half-assed, kedai runcit-style sandwic), even hot meals hardcore fans could be swayed into favouring snekboks on short flights.

Ek_kuldxb.jpg

Image copyright HC Chai

f_03m_dd277ab.jpg

Image copyright Prosibu

Edited by Keno Omar

hey...if they provided half decent sandwiches, I wouldn't mind not having a hot meal. the ones they provide look awful. not for a 3 hour flight when SQ, TG etc serve excellent food. What sort of cheapskate Malaysian hospitality do they want to showcase now? Malu gile. They can con some people but I am not falling for their crap.