MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

Rumour: MH to Cut Inflight Meals Beginning 1 October 2007

Good luck Izanee, my letter to the NST editor ranting about the cutback in meal services, old planes, non-competitive pricing was published back in July - no response from MH.

Obviously, this time, the MH spin doctors saw cheap opportunity to spin further in response to Dennis' letter. To announce the 'encouraging passenger response' and explain again the whole process of creating the costly mealbox without any advertising fee. If only all those effort could be used to upgrade existing services, rather than downgrade, the world would be a better place...

MH’s IJ and his team top priority is to meet their KPI, so that they can collect their bonus and stock options.

Pax satisfactions is not part of their current KPI, which can be handle later in the ‘Business Turnaround Plan II’ or ‘Customers Turnaround Plan’. By that time, the pax satisfactions will be so low that MUCH improvement will be made. More bonus and stock options!

:drinks:

Here goes nothing - i have emailed NST and will email The star. it may be a bit emotional at times but i was really irritated by the letter from Rashid Khan. it was really patronising. are we really that stupid?thanks for your support guys... appreciate it!

Dear Editor,I refer to your report "Observers find MAS meal box hard to swallow" (NST, Oct 17) and the letters "Think again on meal boxes" by William Dennis (NST, Oct 19) and "Feedback very encouraging" by Datuk Rashid Khan (NST, Oct 22). While I laud the Business Turnaround Plan and its focus to return the airline to profitability, I think that our national airline has lost the bigger picture in the process of cutting costs - 'Five star airline with low costs' is a contradiction to say the least. Being an Enrich member and using Malaysia Airlines (MH) on most of my flights from the UK to Malaysia over the past ten years, I have noticed a gradual slump in its inflight services over this period. I also have always been a strong supporter of our national airline and encourage my colleagues to use MH on flights to Australasia. However, I might have to stop doing that as the feedback gets worse and worse. I have even e-mailed MH to complain but I have not heard anything back.

In its drive to profitability, I have noticed that the two meal service in economy has deteriorated. The classy printed menu service is gone - other airlines such as British Airways (BA), Singapore Airlines (SQ) and Emirates (EK) are still providing menus for their flights. Personally, I have never found that to be a problem for me as I know that I will still be getting excellent Western and local choices on my 12-13 hour flights. Compared to BA, SQ, EK, KLM and Qantas - MH's food service is second to none. This has all changed in my recent flights to Malaysia and I would like to share my experiences with you. The meal choices have been reduced to just 'chicken or vegetarian'; the portions are much smaller and now are served in tiny microwaveable trays. The second meal did not fare any better and for an Asian airline - their 'Asian' meals were awful - the same microwaveable tray was placed in front of us. MH used to be provide its passengers with ice-cream and cold sandwiches in between meals but these have now disappeared. The dreaded snack box (albeit a mini version) has now appeared with a few snacks.

My 'neighbours' were two British tourists who regularly travelled to and from the UK on MH - they paid GBP1300 for their tickets. I was shocked as I only paid half of that but they did not mind as they wanted to fly MH. Imagine their horror when the meal service came out. They could have flown with Qatar Airways in business class and got more value for money. Datuk Rashid Khan mentioned that the customers voted on the top five food choices and preferred light meals for short haul flights. I would like to see some concrete proof before I believe them.

A few questions need to be answered - are light meals the top choice or was it a 'top five' choice? Which 'fifteen airlines' did they compare with? European airlines have been using these snack boxes for a long time now as competition with low cost carriers there is intense. In Asia, the market is completely different with full service airlines still offering hot meals rather than snack boxes. What do MH mean by short haul flights - is it Kuala Lumpur to Kuantan (40 mins) or Kuala Lumpur to Bangkok (2 hours)? If I were given the choice between a bag of peanuts/orange juice and a snack box on my full fare all frills 40 minute flight - I know what I'd choose.However, when paying for a full fare 'all frills' ticket between Kuala Lumpur-Bangkok flights - I would prefer a hot meal, considering I have paid good money for my tickets.

All of MH's competitors such as Thai Airways and Singapore Airlines are providing full hot meals on their regional flights. I personally do not think that MH has 'benchmarked' their services against Thai or SIA's services with regards to the snack box. I know that most Malaysians will find sandwiches unpalatable, especially when you look at the gradual price increases by MH – all in the name of fuel surcharge. I would expect inflight services to get better when I pay more. Why fly a Boeing 737 and get a snack box when you can fly Thai or SIA using their new Boeing 777-200 or Airbus A330-300 AND get a hot meal?

Do they think that their passengers are stupid? All you need is go to www.airlinemeals.net or www.airliners.net to see the difference in services provided by hundreds of airlines. Introducing the snack box during Ramadhan is also another gimmick in my opinion - as passengers would be fasting and therefore happy to take these snack boxes home for later consumption. It would be worthwhile to see what their passengers say now, after the fasting month. It would be nice to get a formal transparent report from MH to see what their passengers actually say rather than a glossed over and edited view from Datuk Khan. Many people including travel agents have complained to MH about the higher ticket prices and deterioration of services but I guess MH is not listening contrary to what Datuk Khan’s letter says.

What he is not telling us is that the rationale behind this snack box service is that it lighter and therefore less fuel is burned on MH's flights with the resultant cost savings. In addition, this would allow LESS flight crews to be on board in order to 'dish out' these snack boxes. Inside sources have said that they plan to reduce their flight crews by one per flight (for flights where the snack box is being served). All these measures are designed to drive costs to a minimum. I also think that MH's plan of shutting their ticketing offices in major cities and towns across Malaysia is a big mistake. For example, in KK and Kuantan, passengers now have to travel to the airport to buy tickets. Meanwhile, in KL, the KL Sentral office is dingy, small and in need of a good clean-up. There were very few staff working and because I was not a business or first class passenger, I had to wait for a long time while other passengers who came in later got seen to first.

MH seems to think that passengers will always keep coming to them for business despite what they do. It is true up to a few years ago. Now we have more choices in our flights from KLIA. The UK-Malaysia segment is now served by KLM, BA, Thai Airways, Emirates, Qatar, Gulf Air, Kuwait Airlines, Yemenia, Egyptair, Singapore Airlines, China Eastern, Air China - albeit with a short transit. The list goes on and on. I find it ironic that the on the MH plane parked next to mine in KLIA had the slogan 'an experience redefined' - in which direction?

I think that MH should seriously sit down and rethink their business strategies. Passengers have more choice and less patience now. Cutting costs on in-flight services and passenger facilities is not the way forward. Neither is selling assets such as offices and aircrafts to prop up their accounts - that is only a short term measure for a long term problem. It may be controversial but I think that it is NOT the frontline staff (who have been exemplary) that need to go but rather the many different highly paid 'consultants' at the top that 'bleed' the airline. Five star services at low cost will never happen. Just look at Singapore Airline's latest offerings on their A380 aircraft published in the papers and online. MH is at least ten years behind them.

On a happier note, I would personally like to thank every single crew member (including those on the flight deck and the ground staff in Heathrow) on board MH 001 which left London Heathrow on 22nd of October 2007 at 10pm. They were a credit to MH and they truly deserve the 'Best Cabin Crew' awards that they won. Sadly, due to increasing ticket prices and less than adequate meals – I will have to take my business elsewhere. MH should take note and start listening to its most loyal and faithful customers or lose out in the long run.

damn - i didn't realise it was that long! hahahaha...i had to let it out of my chest or i'll explode! thatd10t really did my head in.

Edited by Izanee

This is nicely written. I'll lookout for this article in NST :good:

If its not published, simplify some of the points and resend. I know they're quite a stickler for page space up there at jalan riong.

It's great Izanee! You made lots of good points in your letter and I particular like this :

"MH seems to think that passengers will always keep coming to them for business despite what they do"

For ages, this is exactly how I felt about MAS.

Izanee, your letter seems to cover about all of our recent grouses. Hope something good will come out of it if when gets published. Do try to send to Malay language papers like Utusan and Berita Hairan (!) as well. These papers are known to be 'emotional' too.

I managed to persuade some six friends of mine to fly TG to Bangkok later this week, and they have indeed bought TG tickets and looking forward to the trip. After hearing the snack box nonsense, none of them will have any of it. A good few thousand ringgit lost by MH this round, and I will continue to encourage others to stay away from MAS. They have stabbed customers in the back, and it's time to get even! :)

Edited by Rozhan

Thank you for expressing what most of us feel! Well done. :clapping:

MAS meal boxes: Feedback very encouragingBy : DATUK RASHID KHAN, Commercial Director, Malaysia Airlines

Sigh....

DATUK RASHID KHAN....

*researches family tree* :blink:

thank you guys for your support and pointers!

thanks for the feedback as well - i also think it was too long winded for the papers - hopefully they might edit it! if not, i'll try a shorter version tomorrow.

imran - i hope he's not related to you man! if he is - i didn't mean to offend you.

and bollocks - i meant MH001 leaving heathrow on the 16th of october! (not 22nd)

Edited by Izanee

imran - i hope he's not related to you man! if he is - i didn't mean to offend you.

Hey no worries bro...

Sticks and stones may break my bones....but MILO will mend the scars.. (LOL... dont forget ah if you're coming thru Dubai :D)

"Compared to BA, SQ, EK, KLM and Qantas - MH's food service is second to none. " - You may want to make that in the past tense..."was second to none."Also, you may want to drop the sentences on the town office closures and issues that you have with the Sentral ticketing office. These may just distract the editor and dilute your main points.On your seat neigbours who flew with you, you may want to introduce the term "high yielding" passengers, which is true given the fares paid. And state that these high yielding pax will now probably go elsewhere having been disillusioned by MH's poor service standards. This is key (for MH's management) as this will hurt their bottomline/ target.Also, as has been mentioned, go too for the likes of BHarian & Utusan - they are very emotional and have been known to drag various issues for days (especially if there is some agenda behind the "news"). You doing a fine piece of national service here, to knock some sense into the heads of MH's management, who may have been blinded too much by bottomline targets. They would even sell their mothers if that helps to boost MH's bottomline and consequently, their individual KPIs/ bonuses (don't write this into your letter).

I managed to persuade some six friends of mine to fly TG to Bangkok later this week, and they have indeed bought TG tickets and looking forward to the trip. After hearing the snack box nonsense, none of them will have any of it. A good few thousand ringgit lost by MH this round, and I will continue to encourage others to stay away from MAS. They have stabbed customers in the back, and it's time to get even! :)
Congratulations.My colleagues and I, of late, have been getting more acquainted with Changi....

They would even sell their mothers if that helps to boost MH's bottomline and consequently, their individual KPIs/ bonuses (don't write this into your letter).

Hahaha, this is really good :drinks:

Congrats Izanee, your letter hit NST today, almost unedited!

w00t w00t - congrats! :drinks:

Hope it hits home.

Edited by Keith T

:yahoo: great great... :good:

now let's wait for the reply... heh heh... :spiteful:

Edited by Yusoff

YESSSS! Bring the management to their knees in thinking about how to respond to the many facts presented. The fact that your letter to NST was published almost verbatim, perhaps some people at Jalan Riong are also in agreement :)

Congrats Izanee......he thought we the passenger like the schoolboys trip to Zoo....eat in snack box.....stupid punya management.

Wonder how he got the postion on the first place...lick some a**...

If my experience is anything to go by - airlines don't buckle at letters to newspapers. You need to keep the pressure up. Maybe this is a time political pressure could come in useful (hey might as well use it for something good right...) - as MH is a state-owned corporation you could perhaps innundate with your local MP's office with letters. Even though it might be some poor electorate officer who has to sort out the mail, the pollies do take notice if enough there is enough public interest.

Keep the letters to the media going too - if any of you are MH Silver, Gold or Platinum tiers, even better.

Edited by Keith T

Good Job Izanee!! Just seen the letter in NST, just hope that it catches MH's attention and we will be awaiting a reply by Mr Rashid Khan.

On a side note i should start addressing you as Dr now!!