MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

Rumour: MH to Cut Inflight Meals Beginning 1 October 2007

These increases in surcharge and / or fees done quietely, and in quick succession, is very revolting. It only shows their incompetence in controlling costs, thereby passing them to customers. Or perhaps they have calculated in advance on how to achieve RMx amount of profits so that they can thump their chests to say they have succeeded in making record profits, and please the Prime Minister.

I think MAS is flying into an abyss, and a very deep one too.

i agree with rozhan - i think its disgusting that they are increasing charges quietly - including Air fares - therefore passing it on to the customers.

Introducing cheapo trays, poor quality food and snack boxes in spite on rising charges will only turn more passengers away. that is not the way to improve yield. as i mentioned many times before, MH's draw is its excellent staff and inflight services. yes, we may NOT be able to fully compete with SQ's constant innovation and upgrading of services but we have held firm.

not anymore...and that is very sad. this is NOT a LCC. don't try to compete with TF.

What Rozhan said is perfectly right. I dont see a perfect link between a 5 star airline with LCC service. The management failure to turn the airline into a profitable airline has led them to implement measure that has so far been very ignorance on focusing on what customer needs. MH has been very selfish in this term that, they are now no longer providing a value for $ flying experience. Im sure that is most likely to affect it's grading in the years to come. What we has seen is they are trying to pass the cost to the passengers. I serioulsy do not think they had do a proper survey on what customer needs. What has been implemented is based on an overall assumption with an expectation that thet will improve the airline yield.

Agreed! MH's sole priority is the bottomline at the end of the year. To the management team, service and previous credentials can go into dustbin if profit is less than projected. Remember, IJ's ambitious plan for record profit this year, above RM500m. We do know of many lesser airlines making more money annually, so MH is not going where angels fear to tread. Just follow the crowd.... be a laggard and make more money, does not need to constantly innovate and reinvent, simple as that.

OMG...snack box first then increase their surcharge....WELL DONE!!!!, MAS...GOOD JOB.... =@ =@ maybe it's time to switch to AK (for domestic route) and SQ (for international route).....instead of the so called "5 stars LCC"....

just looking at airlinemeals.net and found that the MAJORITY of asian/middle eastern airlines serve HOT food for flights above 1 hour 20 minutes. even crappy airlines like SV, IR and KU do that. All the Far eastern ones serve hot food for regional flights.

we cannot try to be the Lufthansa of Asia. not when we charge ridiculous prices AND be losing money at the same time.

its either SQ or AK.

choose.

just looking at airlinemeals.net and found that the MAJORITY of asian/middle eastern airlines serve HOT food for flights above 1 hour 20 minutes. even crappy airlines like SV, IR and KU do that. All the Far eastern ones serve hot food for regional flights.

we cannot try to be the Lufthansa of Asia. not when we charge ridiculous prices AND be losing money at the same time.

its either SQ or AK.

choose.

SQ for regional...

AK for domestic...

MH...you've lost my business. Period.

SQ for regional...

AK for domestic...

MH...you've lost my business. Period.

Lol......MH lost my business yonks ago!

Been doing EK, EY and QR for my LHR/LGW-KUL runs over the past 2 -3 years and with the current state of affairs, I have no plans to revert back to MH anytime soon.

Will try SQ next year when their whale-jets come to LHR.

probably some fellas got the contract to produce the box for the same price as a hot meal. :drinks:

Was surfing net when came across this European based LCC - www.clickair.com . Some similarities between clickair's water colour-based artwork with MH's current promo blitz, although in different colours. MH - nose diving towards LCC with premium price... Boleh!

For those who have decided to switch from MH to SQ, just don't forget to ask for Muslim (Halal) meal when make your booking (if it is your religious requirement).

Was surfing net when came across this European based LCC - www.clickair.com . Some similarities between clickair's water colour-based artwork with MH's current promo blitz, although in different colours. MH - nose diving towards LCC with premium price... Boleh!

clickair is actually an LCC spin off of IB. Most of IB's routes out of BCN have been transferred to clickair, and those routes still carry an IB codeshare for marketing purposes. I only learnt about clickair when I tried to put their flights into my oneworld RTW (FCO-BCN) only to be told that the route is actually clickair and not IB, which isn't a oneworld member and so I can't use their flights. Would've helped if the oneworld website had removed flights transferred to clickair from their online timetable. <_ then i poked around the clickair website and ironically booking engine didn respond well to my hmmm>

The ironic thing is, from a pax perspective at least, there's actually no difference between IB and clickair as IB itself has gone so low cost on short hauls that the only discernible difference is you can pre-select seats on IB. Whoop di doo.

There are lots of parallels to be drawn between MH and airlines like EI and IB actually. In the face of fierce competition from LCCs (eg EI and FR), these airlines have gone LCC on their short hauls. For EI, it underwent a radical rebranding and is now effectively an LCC, as evidenced in their reasons for leaving oneworld. At the end of the day the bosses of both airlines were doing what they could to rescue themselves from the brink of bankruptcy. Good for the shareholders, but bad for pax who has to put up with a dive towards the lowest common denominator.

I'm not stating that MH will necessarily go that way, and I do sincerely hope for the sake of choice and competition that they do not, but it does indeed look like the seeds have been sown...

Edited by Keith T

These increases in surcharge and / or fees done quietely, and in quick succession, is very revolting. It only shows their incompetence in controlling costs, thereby passing them to customers. Or perhaps they have calculated in advance on how to achieve RMx amount of profits so that they can thump their chests to say they have succeeded in making record profits, and please the Prime Minister.

I think MAS is flying into an abyss, and a very deep one too.

looking at other airlines in the same region flying the same route say kul-hkg-kul, why can the other airline (ok , cx) have a lower fuel surcharge? airport tax remain the same since its flying kul-hkg-kul

That's the whole point of MH now i think. The goal is the make as much money as possible and probably on the way the hard work and reputation established for all these years will vanish just like that.

The one of the few things i'm proud of being a Malaysian is the fact that MH is a very very good airline in the eyes of the world. It just gives me utmost satisfaction and pleasure and pride when i read trip reports in A.net with good reviews of MH, comparing them as one of the best carriers in the world on par with SQ, CX etc.

Probably all these things would slowly be gone by now following the diminishing quality in the service delivery. Very sad i know but thats just BUSINESS i guess!

Well done Tony Fernandes, my hats off to you! At least i can be proud of AirAsia for now. I'll just stick to AK for now and SQ if i'm flying abroad. At least with them you get stuff worth every of your penny spent.

Edited by Walter Sim

there's 6 sets featuring different designs... collect them all now!! ermm.. sounds familiar??

thinking od collecting as well. but just no friends will travel on it. :(

To me MH is no longer worth flying for domestic since it's not giving u value for $ service with the published fare.

WOW, this is a big blow to MH by a staunch supporter !!! :blink: :blink: :blink:

MAS won't get too much of my money starting 2008. Others can take my place and help MAS make record profits and be able to afford to start buying its own new planes.

Everyones boycotting MH now hahahahhaa

except me. i would still like to fly with MAS if i GOT MONEY. :p else, just moral support MAS. :rofl:

except me. i would still like to fly with MAS if i GOT MONEY. :p else, just moral support MAS. :rofl:

huh??? :blink:

:rofl:

You guys might want to add TG and CX to your list as well, beside SQ. TG has amazing deals to Europe and North Asia while CX has a year-round deal (in its website) to North Asia.

Hope you guys are only collecting the box and not the sandwiches and drinks.... :p

I have to say, the box design is quite nice and elegant.

Sam, do you love your national airline more than your money? :p

Edited by S V Choong

if I GOT MONEY, it will be SQ for international flights. As I have no extra money, it will be AK for domestic...

as for moral support, MH will have no more from me after the snack box fiasco