MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Gavin Andrew David

Kuala Lumpur International Airport

Thanks for the map, Naim...

Now I know why some earthworks being carried out near our

Ladang 14L spotting location... its for "Eastern Access"

marked as 'future link' in the map.

So it means a proper road access to the ladang, just like weather station... :yahoo:

and also means more MAB patrol :( :pardon:

And I didn't know that current LCCT location was

known as 'Aircraft Sewage Dump' :blink: :shok:

And Obs Hill is or rather 'was' Airport Viewing Platform... purposely

built for spotters.... until MAB came :angry:

Now I know why some earthworks being carried out near our

Ladang 14L spotting location... its for "Eastern Access"

marked as 'future link' in the map.

This 'Eastern Access' looks like the termination of the dedicated KL-KLIA expressway now under construction. In that case, visitors to the airport can see planes lining up to take off. :yahoo:

And I didn't know that current LCCT location was

known as 'Aircraft Sewage Dump' :blink: :shok:

Which I heard upset the original airport planners. The LCCT terminal was a 'fly-by-night' decision.

And Obs Hill is or rather 'was' Airport Viewing Platform... purposely

built for spotters.... until MAB came :angry:

I managed to visit it a couple of times when it was 'Airport Viewing Platform'. The thing that upset me then was the 'picnickers' who left all their rubbish behind. Uncivilised! :angry:

The thing that upset me then was the 'picnickers' who left all their rubbish behind. Uncivilised! :angry:

No problem, we have a Hotel Manager up there now.

eastern access road (future link) is not my fav!! :(

the so call "ladang" (plantation) at 14L is best to be as it is now.

we had so many beautiful aeroplane coming to land and easily capture to our camera.

i hope it wil take a little longer before ther open tht road. :)

Most of the time ,

These sorta things just all talk ..

The dedicated KL-KLIA highway is gonna be completed soon. I know of one stretch open to traffic already. Another one due to open soon. So before you know it, you'll have a spanking new highway running along 14L. :pardon:

No problem, we have a Hotel Manager up there now.

Maarof,

Who is the Hotel Manager??? :blink:

-cheers-

For the benefit of some spotters who've been

asking about the "Ladang Touchdown 14L" location.

Good for afternoon shots... morning=Bad Backlit

Belated thanks, Norman.

I think GPS fix for the ladang spot-to-shoot-14L is roughly:

N02° 46.331' E101° 42.056'

Better key that into my GPS receiver. Will attempt the place this weekend. Once there I'll get a more accurate fix.

+++

Maarof,

Who is the Hotel Manager??? :blink:

-cheers-

The nickname for the Indonesian worker always found working at Observation Hill (Oscar Hotel). The last time I visited the Hotel he was nowhere to be seen. It turned out to be a bad omen for me as I was ordered to leave by the MAB authorities. After numerous visits to the Hotel that was my first time being asked to leave.

The nickname for the Indonesian worker always found working at Observation Hill (Oscar Hotel). The last time I visited the Hotel he was nowhere to be seen. It turned out to be a bad omen for me as I was ordered to leave by the MAB authorities. After numerous visits to the Hotel that was my first time being asked to leave.

Next question: how did the MAB blokes spot you? They do patrols?

+++

That they did, sir.

Suggestion: get dressed similar to the Hotel Manager, and they won't harress you :lol: :nea: :rofl:

Suggestion: get dressed similar to the Hotel Manager, and they won't harress you :lol: :nea: :rofl:

I guess I was given away by my car. Normally I came spotting using my bike (scooter) which I could bring right to the spotting positions. But now they have put up obstructions so that either you park you car at the foot of the hill or beside the guard house. At the later position (that's where I parked) you car can be spotted from kms away. So fellow spotters be aware of that.

I guess I was given away by my car. Normally I came spotting using my bike (scooter) which I could bring right to the spotting positions. But now they have put up obstructions so that either you park you car at the foot of the hill or beside the guard house. At the later position (that's where I parked) you car can be spotted from kms away. So fellow spotters be aware of that.

I usually park my car at the foot hill. Where the car is not visible from the main road. Then walk up to the hill... so far the hotel managers are there everytime i visited.. so i manage to check-in :lol:

Yes... for the Oscar Hotel... it's advisable (or mandatory) to park your car

on the grass verge on the left load leading to (dunno what complex is that???)

... Will be hidden from the main road. Then get some workout to climb the hill,

If possible, as Pieter suggested, wear non-striking-colored clothing...

but not to the extend of wearing jungle fatigue :pardon:

Most of the time being asked to leave the Hotel due to car being spotted. :rolleyes:

and they are not happy for somebody 'moved' the barrier that they put up :nea:

I was browsing Google Earth just now, and I put a marker for the Ladang site (labelled 'KLIA 14L' in pic below). Then I wonder if it's possible to be on the other side of the runway. So I mark the opposite of Ladang with 'KLIA 14L opp.' and identify from the image, possible paths to get to 'KLIA 14L opp.' ignoring streams, fences, ditches, etc. (see the many coloured lines coming from Jln Pekeliling, below).

So the question is: has anybody explored spots on the eastern side of 14L?

IPB Image

Beware of snakes please

Keep to the coloured lines, which correspond to the paths. I have made GPS routes out of them (in gpx format), so anybody with GPS can download the routes and follow any of them from Jln Pekeliling (after hiding the car :rolleyes: ).

+++

Ladang also got snakes

Yes, oil palm estates notorious for snakes, hunting the many rodents living there. Poisonous ones too. Must always be vigilant. :sorry:

Cobras are normally being 'reared' by palm oil planters

to keep the rats population low. After several cases of estate workers

being bitten by cobras, they changed the predator to owl...

As for the position marked KLIA 14L Opp by Naim,

I think the elevation is below the runway level and the fence

is on higher ground as well.... Quite a hindrance to carry tall ladders there.

As for the route... I've done some quick look from the highway,

Green lane is possible, Yellow is not possible by car since they erected

a barrier at the entrance (maybe to prevent palm oil poachers)

Red is not possible since the tarmac road is within the perimeter fence,

its actually being used for perimeter patrol and maintenace access...

As for the route... I've done some quick look from the highway,

Green lane is possible, Yellow is not possible by car since they erected

a barrier at the entrance (maybe to prevent palm oil poachers)

Red is not possible since the tarmac road is within the perimeter fence,

its actually being used for perimeter patrol and maintenace access...

Thanks for the low-down on the coloured lines, Norman. One fine (and dry) day, I'd probably explore the area. Maybe start from the retention pool on the right, and do the magenta line first, by foot. :)

.naim

Hi Guys,

I am new on the forum.

Am a photographer from Amsterdam who has just had the great experience of spending on day at your airport!!

I was able to do this with the help of this forum and my new friend CHAITY, who took me to all the superb spot along the runway even through rainfloded roads.

Keep up this great forum which I hope will be an example for the rest of us in the world so we can all help our friends trying to get around at a new airport unaware of the possible problems or possibilties.

I had a great day even though we were confronted by a thunderstorm as you can see from the attached landing Air Lanka picture (4R-ADC), but overal it was a great!!

To see result of my day at KUL please check my website the coming months as I will upload a special KUL page at: www.airlinephotos2001.net

Again a special thanks to Chaity for all his help over the months to make this day to a succes.

I hope to be adding more pictures in the Amsterdam section of this forum in the future.

Going home I went through Singapore so maybe some of these shot also interest you, taken from the terminal.

post-892-1163943116_thumb.jpg

post-892-1163943601_thumb.jpg