MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Gavin Andrew David

Kuala Lumpur International Airport

hi..my name is nazmi from kuala lumpur..i'm new member here and hope the senior member can teach me a few lesson bout to be 'spotter'..is there anyone spotting tomorrow, saturday 23 october 2010?at 'ladang' mayb?because i'm alone(include my wife and 2 child)..need somebody to go with me..but i'm not the expert spotter as all of you..just have experience in pengkalan chepa and kuala terengganu airpot..i've got the "gila" once from the people who saw me watching the airplane..very sad because they can't feel the miracle of airplane..

Qqiput,

Welcome to MW !!!

Please, have your name changed to Azmi by the administrator, Gavin andrew David...

No need to put 3 same requests in different topics: I've deleted the other 2 in the 32? and 32R topics... :pardon:

According to Vietnam news, Vietnam Airlines will operates 2 charter by using A330-200 to KUL (Ex-HAN and SGN) on 15Dec for home football's fans (Match VN-Malaysia). Just want to inform the SKED will update accordingly.

hii peeps!!

I am a very newbie in this forum. Very fascinate the world of aircraft particularly the airplanes both boeing and airbus..

hey guys, i just wanna ask with regards to this topic. is the spotting location at KLIA still available and existing???

planning to go there by this weekend to capture some of the take-off and landed air planes..

thanx in advance!

hi all members..i'm just found the observation hill and ,,OH MY GOD, the scene on there is very fantastic..so real..but actually i just stay there for a few minutes because the police there chased us (me,my wife and my two kids)..so sad because my little kids just can see one airplane only..just wanna know if there is any chance,is there any way to stay there for hours maybe? does anyone know when the police get away from there? when is the place clear from the police?please members..

hi all members..i'm just found the observation hill and ,,OH MY GOD, the scene on there is very fantastic..so real..but actually i just stay there for a few minutes because the police there chased us (me,my wife and my two kids)..so sad because my little kids just can see one airplane only..just wanna know if there is any chance,is there any way to stay there for hours maybe? does anyone know when the police get away from there? when is the place clear from the police?please members..

Hi Nik Nazmi,

'Observation Hill' means 'Forbidden Hill' in MAHB's vocabulary (sorry Azuan.. with due respect to you first... :D )

We're unsure when you can get 'trouble free' spotting from the hill that was meant and constructed for spotters.

Pity that your kids weren't given the chance to enjoy our hobby.

I suggest that you take them to the Anjung Tinjau in Main Terminal Building to enjoy looking

at airplanes, minus the excitement of watching the smokes on touchdown or the roar of rotations.

Until there're some sensible things (read: miracle) happening, Anjung Tinjau is the place to be now. :(

thanks for the info, norman..hmm,norman,do you familiar at changi airport? how about spotting at changi? is it more comfortable compare to klia? in any chance,mayb i can spot SQ @ QF a380,isn't?..anyway,thanks again for your suggestion..

I'm not that familiar with Changi,

only spot there once... & that with Changi's spotters helps...

You can have a look at the Changi's spotting thread here &

can judge by yourself that it's much more interesting down

south...

You can be at public places, such as the Changi Beach or the Park

to spot those aircraft....

Get in touch witrh SIN spotters if you're heading that way...

I'm sure they're more than willing to show you the places...

great bunch of guys... :)

Next month I will have a 16 hour wait for a connecting flight.

As I like to spot aircraft at my home airport (AMS), I would like to know where to find some nice (and legal) spots for photographing some aircraft.

I'm planning to shoot for about 2-3 hours, not longer. When I arrive at KUL, i'm still on NL time (feels like midnight at that time), so I'll probably will get some sleep at the Concorde Inn as well. :)

I'm thinking of hiring a taxi that can drive me around?

Is that a good plan? Or does anyone have some other suggestions?

I'm not that much of an apron spotter, I like to catch them in flight or landing/takeoff.

thanks for the info, norman..hmm,norman,do you familiar at changi airport? how about spotting at changi? is it more comfortable compare to klia? in any chance,mayb i can spot SQ @ QF a380,isn't?..anyway,thanks again for your suggestion..

Hi, I'm new to this forum.

I'm from Singapore. For Spotting at Changi, if Runway 02 is in-use, (Southern Part of Changi). Take the MRT (Subway) to Expo station, walk about 15minutes to Changi Business Park Central 2 road. It's quite a long walk, but you will get to catch low flying aircraft coming in to land.

For another spotting area, if Runway 20 is in use, (Northern Part).Go to Changi Beach, Buses 9,19 & 89 goes there. Alight at either Car Park 4 or 5 along Nicoll Drive.

Best to drive if possible, if there is a runway change in-between shoot, it will be a headache to get to another side as there are no public transport to get you to either side directly.

Yesterday (16/02) I travelled back to SIN on the 14:40 TR flight and whilst waiting for the take off roll to begin I noticed this aircraft which appeared to belong to the Japan Coast Guard.

Any idea what it was doing here?

5450078003_cd6aa83f94_b.jpg

Hi guys,

I recently joined this forum but I decided to post my first message today cos I just got back from my first ever plane spotting in KLIA, more specifically at the Observation Hill and Anjung Tinjau.

Observation Hill

My first destination of the day, arrived around 9am with three of my friends. The view was amazing! It overlooks the entire airport and we were greeted with the sight of a B737 with an unfamiliar livery (photo below) ready for take-off. The sound of the aircraft's engines roaring were deafening yet so beautiful; that's how close we were to the runway.

There is a police building on top of the hill where two policemen were sitting. Upon realizing their presence, I boldly took out my camera and got out of the car to snap photos cos I knew by researching the forum that they're gonna ask us to leave eventually.

My friends followed suit and it wasn't long before one of policemen called one of my friend over to ask for his IC. I felt guilty as I was the one who invited them to tag along. It turns out that the police only took his IC details to comply to procedures. One of them even politely told us that we were on private property. He knew that we were there to take pictures.

I took the opportunity to ask them whether there are other places for plane spotting, to which he replied there once was, a road adjacent to Runway 2 (wherever that is) but it has been closed to make way for construction of the new LCC terminal.

After the brief chat he gave us 5 minutes to take pictures and leave. Within that timeframe we manage to witness an A320 (AirAsia) and A330 (MAS) take-off. Seemed like perfect timing, as our 5 minutes were up there were no other aircrafts taxiing the runway.

img0330version2.jpg

Apologies for the low resolution and out-of-focus pic. I'm using an 18-55mm lens and also a beginner in DSLR photography. Unknown livery.

Anjung Tinjau

We went to KLIA afterward to take a closer look at aircrafts from the observation deck. Being indoors, one can't take a closer look at planes taking-off and landing or hear the roaring engines but being able to look at aircrafts without being asked to leave compensates for those shortcomings. Saw mostly MAS's B737s, some new, some old.

img0369ge.jpg

The new B738s (winglets sticking out like sore thumb) and also old B737s(not sure bout the suffix)

All in all, it was a meaningful day for a first-timer like myself and the lack of photos obtained hasn't deterred my newly developed interest. When the new LCCT completes and the road leading to the aforementioned "Runway 2" is re-opened I would definitely be spotting again.

For the time being, I'm gonna start saving money for a 55-300mm lens.

Thank you for reading my first post.

This is some photo that my father capture on his buiness trip to Sabah.At KLIA.

Firefly 737-800(9M-FFA) beside it Malaysia Airlines 737-800 beside it Malaysia Airlines A330-300(9M-MKA)

DSCN1485.jpg

Edited by Zamir

Malaysia Airlines 747-400(9M-MPQ)(Kuala Lumpur)

DSCN1486.jpg

Malaysia Airlines 747-400(9M-MPM)(Melaka)

DSCN1487.jpg

Mahan Air A310-304(EX-301)

DSCN1488.jpg

That all :rolleyes: Capture with Nikon CoolPix P7000

Hello guys,

My name is Inal. I am an aviation photographer form Moscow, Russia.

With my friend, who is a spotter too, we are going to visit Kuala Lumpur in the beginning of March. We will arrive on 4th of March and fly back on 9th.

Of course, we are going to do some spotting at KUL. I have read the information about the Observation Deck located at Level 5 of the Departure terminal.

But we will be very grateful if there is somebody who will be able to accompany us to the other spotting places (we have no car).

We will be very grateful too for some advises about the sightseeing in Kuala Lumpur, because we've never been there before.

Anyway, we'll be very glad just to meet you :)

Excuse me for my English, please. It's not clear, but hope it's understandable :)

Hello guys,

My name is Inal. I am an aviation photographer form Moscow, Russia.

With my friend, who is a spotter too, we are going to visit Kuala Lumpur in the beginning of March. We will arrive on 4th of March and fly back on 9th.

Of course, we are going to do some spotting at KUL. I have read the information about the Observation Deck located at Level 5 of the Departure terminal.

But we will be very grateful if there is somebody who will be able to accompany us to the other spotting places (we have no car).

We will be very grateful too for some advises about the sightseeing in Kuala Lumpur, because we've never been there before.

Anyway, we'll be very glad just to meet you :)

Excuse me for my English, please. It's not clear, but hope it's understandable :)

Hello Inal,

I went to KLIA last Saturday (19/02/2011) and apart from the aforementioned Observation Deck there aren't that many place for plane spotting without being asked to leave by the police. The good locations are either off limits or inaccessible due to the construction of the new Low Cost Carrier Terminal.

The Observation Deck itself is a decent place for spotting aircrafts but it's not so fulfilling as you can't really see aircrafts take-off and land. Your best bet is to spot aircrafts just as soon as you exit your aircraft upon arrival and/or departing on the 9th, i.e. at the Satellite building.

That's as much as I can tell you based on what little I know of the airport. Maybe senior spotters here could chime in and share some tips. Hope you'll enjoy your stay in Malaysia.

@Zamir... you can upload the pic in the relevant topics if you wish... such as the Apron Spotting...

@Inal ... Welcome to MWings and welcome to Malaysia! :D

Seems that you've about a week in Kuala Lumpur so apart from spotting

from the Obs Deck, the other 'legal' places are unfortunately requires a car.

I'm not sure about my sched during that week... & since security are over tight

and places for good spotting locations are too limited already due to construction

I've not been spotting for a long time. Maybe other spotters are available during the

week to accompany you... we'll wait for them.

Anyway, where do you plan to stay in Kuala Lumpur?..

You can always visit the Air Force Museum in Simpang Airport (WMKF)

and also do some spotting in Subang (SZB/WMSA) tho' the traffic are quite limited &

scarce ..

Good luck.. ;)

@Norman, thank you very much for the useful information!

Definitely we will try to visit the Air Force Museum.

I don't know about other airports, maybe we'll try to reach them too.

About our hotel, I've booked a room at Ancasa Hotel & Spa.

Guys, tell me please, what is the best time to take pictures from the Departure Hall? Morning or afternoon? Thanks in advance.

Edited by Inal

Hi, does anyone know if you are able to spot safely past the bridge towards LCCT? I think it's past the ERL train lines and after a turn-off to a kampung. Any samples of departing a/c from that location?

Thanks