MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Gavin Andrew David

Kuala Lumpur International Airport

Hello,

we'll visit KL from Sunday until Thursday (leaving for LIMA :clapping: ). We would like to take pictures at KLIA during that time. Maybe someone from you will be there and we'll met each other!? I think, it would be helpful to have a companion, who knows the place and spotting together means a lot of fun ...

Regards from Taipei

Sascha

Edited by Sascha

Another shot, from the same flight KUL-SIN, of the LCCT and MAS Kargo Terminal. Uncle Pieter's favorite B773 is vacating runway 32L

lcct_772klm.jpg

Nguyen Vu Loc,it should be 32L :drinks:

Thanks Li Ren, I've noticed this mistake after submitting the photo but can't find any EDIT icon to click on

Thanks Li Ren, I've noticed this mistake after submitting the photo but can't find any EDIT icon to click on

Uncle Vu Loc, edited now on your behalf ;)

Uncle Vu Loc, edited now on your behalf ;)

Thanks Uncle Pieter, Here are some air shots in the vicinity of KLIA. BTW I'll fly to Jakarta CGK tomorrow evening on Indonesia Air Asia non-stop flight. So even that I've booked a window seat there's no way to take photos on approach and landing :sorry: Perhaps I'll get some interesting ones from CGK to Bali and return. Wishing you and Mai a very happy Xmas holiday.

#1 A321VN's last banking before final approach to KLIA.

DSC_6743.jpg

#2 Air to air shot of an A330MH just passing the same above location

332MH_appr_KLIA.jpg

Wishing you and Mai a very happy Xmas holiday.

Thanks a lot and same to you !!! ; guess, you'll be spending your Xmas holiday at DPS, while we'll visit relatives at SJC (flying MD11 in C-class :yahoo: ) :pardon:

Some location update for 32L spotting after my adventure with Yong to Sepang & Sg Pelek town. :rolleyes:

Thanks to Google map, possible spotting places with the 2 red spots that I marked at the bottom. It is not that near to 32L but still possible to get some shots since WS is closed.

sep1a.jpg

Here's the closer look at the locations with signboards to look out for.

sep3all.jpg

Bear in mind some of the roads here are kampung roads and quite narrow. We did see normal police car passing by and they didn't "chat" with us. :rolleyes:

Have fun if you want to venture there !

Disclaimer : Do not hold me responsible if anything happen while you are there ! =@

Thanks for sharing, Chaity - dedicated hard core spotter!

With the LCCT construction going on in addition to the bulis patrols, KLIA is such a spotter unfriendly location. But thanks to you and other determined MWingers, we are still able to see some coverage!

Keep it up! :clapping:

Thank you very much Chaity-san

I would like to try to go there in next time to visit KLIA.

JAL will continue to operate to KL after diminution of their route on OCT,2010.

But I should take a long drive even staying in airport.

Masahiko Sakai

Hi everyone,

I'm a new poster to your forum just passing through KL for a couple of days.

Can anyone help with the reg of the KLM 777 (departed at around 1620 hrs) and the 737 parked at the cargo area please? (7 June)

Many thanks in advance.

Ken

Ken,

Welcome to Malaysianwings !!!

KL0809/KL0810-07jun10 was operated by PH-BQN.

Cheers,

Pieter...

just to add on a picture to further guide anyone if you want to go there.

spotting-location.jpg

just as you pass sepang town, go further (approx 1.5-2km) and when you see this signboard, turn right. just as you turned in that narrow road, you will see a house on your right. today the person staying in the house asked me what am i doing and things like that. when i explained to him, he said ok and didn't bother. good spot nevertheless, but added advantage if you have a longer zoom lense.

and yes, a bus driver who parks his bus there asked me to send his regards to Chaity :rofl:

and yes, a bus driver who parks his bus there asked me to send his regards to Chaity :rofl:

Ha ha ! Thanks ! :drinks:

People there are really friendly. :good:

They will stop by and chit-chat seeing a "crazy" stranger sitting by the road side. :lol:

Hi guys!

Just want to ask, is there any chance that we are able to spot any airline's A380 over at KLIA? Or are there totally no A380 landing/leaving KLIA during these moments? :D

No A380 scheduled to operate into/out of KUL...

Although, QF is diverting sometimes from SIN.

Sometimes during clear sky can see SQ and QF fly over head, but you may need 1200mm to capture.

Hello everyone.

I'll be in Kuala Lumpur in August from the 8th to the 12th. I'll also be there on August the 23rd as I'll be flying from HKG-KUL & then KUL-OOL the same day. Although I will spend the majority of my time here sightseeing and doing all the touristy stuff, I'd love to spend some quality time aircraft spotting. If possible, I'd be very keen in meeting up with any one of you guys for a great day of aircraft spotting. Hope the weather is okay at that time of year. Thank you very kindly and I can't wait to get here. :) I'd also like to know the following questions please.

1) I've read on the KUL Airport website that there is a viewing mall in the main terminal. Is it any good for photographing and watching the planes? Is it likely to get hassled by authorities for taking photos here?

2) Are there any decent spots to watch and photograph the planes in the LCC Terminal without getting hassled? Just wondering since I am flying Air Asia in and out of KUL. Are there any other decent, yet safe spots around the airport that are easily accessible?

3) What days of the week do Saudi Arabian and Iran Air come and go into/out of KUL? I'd love to be able to see and photograph those awesome 747 Classics.

Thank you very much. :)

David...

Hi David,

As a frequent visitor transiting thru KUL and LCCT, I may answer to 2 of your questions:

1) I've read on the KUL Airport website that there is a viewing mall in the main terminal. Is it any good for photographing and watching the planes? Is it likely to get hassled by authorities for taking photos here?

The viewing mall (Anjung Tinjau)at KLIA is a good place for spotting aircraft taxiing or parked at gates. So far I don't have problem with the security people there but some MW members were questioned when taking photos. Watching is certainly allowed

2) Are there any decent spots to watch and photograph the planes in the LCC Terminal without getting hassled? Just wondering since I am flying Air Asia in and out of KUL. Are there any other decent, yet safe spots around the airport that are easily accessible?

At LCCT, you'll have a good view of the terminal, aircraft traffic if you stay at the Tune Hotel from 5th Floor upward. You need at least a 300mm tele lens if you want to take close photos of the Air Asia fleet.

Inside the terminal, after immigration formalities there is a shopping area on the 1st floor. You will find a glass door between a gift shop and a confectionary (candy)shop. This door opens into the tarmac therefore it's closed and cordoned, but you can stand close to the cordon to take photos through the clear tinted glass pane (see illustrated photos)

1/ 734fd333d7lcct1.jpg

2/ 340d7raiderslcct1.jpg

When you proceed to the departure gate or disembark at arrival, you are not allowed to loiter or take photos in the tarmac ("airside area") but I can do it by shooting and moving quickly.

There is no problem if you take photos from the covered walkways and gates or behind the mobile fences. You will surely find interesting liveries of aircraft and flight attendants :rolleyes:

3/ 320akdatolcct3.jpg

4/ 320akdatolcct1.jpg

5/ akcrewlcct1.jpg

Good luck to you :drinks:

Is the ladang area still accessible? Will we be kacau-ed by police there?

Ladang is still accessible Liau except for the police people hanging around the roundabout area once in a while or even further up. But just as Chaity told me before, look out for the plantation workers there. And also be on your toes even if the metal barrier is open. Was told that once they finish work, they will close it and lock it. If your car is stuck inside, high chances that you will be spending the night there then :sorry:

Hi guys,

In November, I stayed at the Phuket for two weeks and I'm going to choose you in KUL for one day of spotting. Flown on Malaysia Airlines 12:55 and at 22:05 I return Qatar Airways. What can I see at this time? What is best directions from the airport to good spotting location? On the airport is the observation deck? Did the police do any problems if he sees me with my camera? Thank you for your reply and best regards from Poland.

Pawel,

Edited by Pawel_EPWR

Hi Pawel, welcome to KUL.

You can spot from the Observtion Deck at Level 5 Departure level.

It is OK to spot there with a camera. Police or security would not disturb you.

In the afternoon, expect some movement from Middle East.

You won't get a decent shot for AK/D7 and cargo as the other taxiway is just too far. :nea: