MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Gavin Andrew David

Kuala Lumpur International Airport

maybe the 'beredar' guys or the PULIS or whatever you guys want to call them, should build a barricade or a retaining wall there. better still, they should have construct a permanent wall there or a much better effort is to seal off the road permanently. then they should pass a bill in the parliament prohibiting any person(s) from taking photograph of aircraft, train, ship, cars, buses, bicycle and any moving object which is deem to be a treat to the national security. :angry: :angry:

damn stupid lah this people..don't even know how to judge what is a treat and what is not. to them everything is a treat to the nation security unless if there's some sort of payment or 'duit kopi' then it would be otherwise..F*** :finger:

(what does it, actually, say on the ribbon ?)

DO NOT CROSS THIS LINE? :pardon:

We are plane spotters, take pictures..... is that ILLEGAL?? <_>

We are not bad guy! We enjoy spotting.... We are not going to do anything bad!! :nea: :finger: :finger:

Why want to BEREDAR us!!! :angry:

In my opinion, when we spot, we monitor the movement of the aircraft, when we see something wrong that wasn't aware by them, maybe we can report to them? HAIZ..... :(

It doesn't seem to get nicer there at KLIA for spotting :angry: :angry:

Maybe, I change my trip from KUL to PEN for MW-Celebration ?? :huh:

(what does it, actually, say on the ribbon ?)

Maybe someone can apply and build KLIA South@32L Observation Deck with aircon, wifi, etc and ready by mid 2009 :pardon:

If not, build a Rumah Sting* and claim the land after 3 years. :finger:

* Should be easy to guess what is this

Salam and hello! This is my first post. I actually came to MalaysianWings trying to find answers to the unnecessarily stringent security at KLIA recently.

I started spotting at KLIA in 2003. My favourite spot in the world is the 32L undershoot. I've been away since 2006 for studies but recently came home for good, and I was looking forward to go back to my fave spot. So yesterday night, I took my cousin and went there after so long, and I brought my airband scanner with me. I saw they've already put up a police line blocking the entrance to the road side where people used to park. Ok, fine, I thought, we won't cross it, I made a u-turn and stopped across the road. We managed to see about 4 landings until a police car pulled up behind our parked car. I quickly detached my scanner antenna and hid it in my pocket.

They said that the place is a 'kawasan larangan' (prohibited area), and that no one can stop 200m either direction of the approach lights. They asked for our ICs and driving licences. I said to him I used to come here a lot till about 3 years ago and there were lots of people then, no problem. He said yeah till today it still happens in late afternoons, but in actual fact it is forbidden. They waited until my cousin and I got into the car and we drove off.

I have nothing against those officers, I understand that they're only doing their jobs. And they were nice enough to us - in the end he even said 'terima kasih sebab beri kerjasama' (thanks for your cooperation). But most of all, I'm just sad and dissapointed. KLIA made the so-called 'bukit tinjau' (observation hill), but never opened it and put a big No Entry sign at the entrance. Fine, I thought. At least we still have the 32L undershoot. But now they're even taking that away from us! I mean, what's wrong with what we're doing?? We're just enthusiasts watching planes at a safe distance. It's not as if we cross the perimeter fence or anything! And when I was in Melbourne there is actually a similar spot at Tullamarine airport's runway 34 undershoot where people just lepak and watch planes. Takde hal pun??

It was very nice to see friends here in this forum sharing my sentiments. Perhaps it is time for us to do something about this, rather than just constantly grumble about it? Or maybe even do it the Malaysian way; anyone has personal connections with anyone at Malaysia Airports? :pardon:

Edited by Izmir Husein

Izmir, welcome aboard.

What you said is very true and we are having problem spotting at KLIA now. It is a sad thing to be unable to indulge in our hobby for a dubious safety reason. I've been chased away a few times recently; both from the hill and from 32L. I'm waiting to see if we got chased away from the 14L lakeside next. Maybe I'll just quit spotting at KUL if things got too "hot".

BTW KLIA security is now handled by the police, to be specific the PGA (Pasukan Gerak Am / General Operation Force), formerly known as Polis Hutan. Knowing somebody in MAB will not do much good now.

Izmir, came back for good?hehe...

BTW, It's been like that for ages. Just tell them you didn't notice the sign.

Khaled brader!! Wahwah 734 now is it? Yeah, finally graduated, back for good now. Bro, it wasn't like that 3 years ago. I used to spend hours there man, police patrol just pass by only, no big deal. In fact, when I got in trouble at the observation hill back then, the police even recommended me the 32L undershoot as an alternative...he said that place was ok!

Izmir, welcome aboard.

What you said is very true and we are having problem spotting at KLIA now. It is a sad thing to be unable to indulge in our hobby for a dubious safety reason. I've been chased away a few times recently; both from the hill and from 32L. I'm waiting to see if we got chased away from the 14L lakeside next. Maybe I'll just quit spotting at KUL if things got too "hot".

BTW KLIA security is now handled by the police, to be specific the PGA (Pasukan Gerak Am / General Operation Force), formerly known as Polis Hutan. Knowing somebody in MAB will not do much good now.

Thanks for the welcome Radzi. Well, anyone with any connections with the PGA then..hehe..or anything else that we can do? :pardon: Cmon la, let's do something...We're not trying to do anything unlawful or immoral, nor is spotting a security breach. We're just innocent bystanders who love planes! :drinks:

The PULIS are what should i call stupid, every patrol officer got their own opinions :finger::finger: They are not treating us as Aviation enthusiats but terrorists. During the Christmas day spotting, the patrol car rocketted to our direction and block our cars. WTF, can't they judge who is good or bad??

If possible let's have our 4th Ann gathering at Changi :p :P :p jkjkjkjk :lol:

The PULIS are what should i call stupid, every patrol officer got their own opinions :finger::finger: They are not treating us as Aviation enthusiats but terrorists. During the Christmas day spotting, the patrol car rocketted to our direction and block our cars. WTF, can't they judge who is good or bad??

lets do it in SZB instead.....

In my opinion, when we spot, we monitor the movement of the aircraft, when we see something wrong that wasn't aware by them, maybe we can report to them? HAIZ..... :(

That's how it works at AMS: spotters cooperate with Police (look at MAN - same way) and the latter even put up signs with a phone # to contact when something suspicious is seen/spotted; it's really the other way around here: spotters are police's eyes and ears and not the other way around - is police there permanently to check/see 'terrorists' ?

lets do it in SZB instead.....

SIN would be nice (fantastic traffic)...SZB too quiet IMHO: I suggested PEN instead :pardon:

That's how it works at AMS: spotters cooperate with Police (look at MAN - same way) and the latter even put up signs with a phone # to contact when something suspicious is seen/spotted; it's really the other way around here: spotters are police's eyes and ears and not the other way around - is police there permanently to check/see 'terrorists' ?

Hi Pieter...is that right??? Wow..yet another compelling argument to support aircraft spotting. And these are major world cities even! As I have mentioned, even in MEL it is allowed - I have not seen one security car along the (outside) perimeter road the many times I've been there, despite the fact that that road actually goes to the MEL ATCC. Just out of curiousity, in AMS and MAN, can you get as close as we do at 32L undershoot at KLIA?

Edited by Izmir Husein

Just out of curiousity, in AMS and MAN, can you get as close as we do at 32L undershoot at KLIA?

Even closer...some areas, you can almost touch the wingtips :pardon:

Check the appropriate topics @ Obs Hill ;)

SIN would be nice (fantastic traffic)...SZB too quiet IMHO: I suggested PEN instead :pardon:

Hi Pieter...is that right??? Wow..yet another compelling argument to support aircraft spotting. And these are major world cities even! As I have mentioned, even in MEL it is allowed - I have not seen one security car along the (outside) perimeter road the many times I've been there, despite the fact that that road actually goes to the MEL ATCC. Just out of curiousity, in AMS and MAN, can you get as close as we do at 32L undershoot at KLIA?

well Pieter, over here in Malaysia a.k.a BOLEHLAND, its the other way around. anyone (that include you and me and any commoners) who report such things as suspicious activity, would be the one that get arrested instead of the actual culprit and would be held captive in order to assist investigation. :finger:

so the only way to continue with our hobby, it will be a cat and mouse game. maybe i'll buy one of those 'gully suit' (usually worn by army sniper) and wear them when going out spotting in KLIA.

Even closer...some areas, you can almost touch the wingtips :pardon:

:blink: Far outt!!

It will be a shame if we just let these (in)security people take control without a fight. Not only I know now that spotting is harmless and accepted at major airports around the world, I realise that we can actually help them keeping our airports secure! Maybe we can come to a compromise, e.g. they are allowed to randomly search us if they're suspicious, but if we're clear, then we're allowed to stay. Instead of being pessimistic about it, I wanna initiate something. I love that place too much! hahaha...I'm gonna go around my flying club members to see if they know anyone who we can speak to about this. I can anticipate already that we're gonna be given the runaround. ('oh, PGA is in charge of that', and then 'no no, we only carry out orders from MAB') hahahah... :yahoo:

It is sad to hear that KLIA spotters are now having a hard time. Let's hope for some improvement soon......

Edited by Kwek

I will be heading to KL this weekend and will have a car at my disposal. I was thinking about heading out to the airport for some spotting opportunities. How is the situation like?

I will be heading to KL this weekend and will have a car at my disposal. I was thinking about heading out to the airport for some spotting opportunities. How is the situation like?

Hi Ryah Soh, welcome to KUL this weekend. :yahoo:

I am not so sure about the situation in KUL now as my last spotting session was Xmas day of '08. :pardon: Almost a record for me as I didn't go spotting for almost a month now. :blink:

No thanks to the Bulis in KUL. :finger:

Perhaps some local spotters that had been to the spots recently provide some update ? :help:

I understand some local spotters will be there this weekend. Hope you can bump into them. Have Fun !! :drinks:

I found Jalan Pekelling on Google Map that will take me to the threshold of Rwy 32R. Is that spotter-safe? I intend to turn right at the junction that when u turn left goes into Jalan Pekelling 2. Am I heading the right way? How how how? So exciting...

I went to KLIA for spotting two days ago, the spotting spot at the end of 32L is sealed with yellow tape. It is impossible to enter the dirt track. The best spot at the moment is weather station and obs. deck.

I found Jalan Pekelling on Google Map that will take me to the threshold of Rwy 32R. Is that spotter-safe? I intend to turn right at the junction that when u turn left goes into Jalan Pekelling 2. Am I heading the right way? How how how? So exciting...

I don't think you can spot much at for 32R as its usually used for takeoff. The trees will be covering the aircraft, unless you manage to find an elevated place like OBS Hill. Check the early pages of this thread, The best place now, is 32L threshold (under the tree) during noontime. and weather station.

All spotting during noon to avoiid backlit

Edited by Walter Sim

I don't think you can spot much at for 32R as its usually used for takeoff. The trees will be covering the aircraft, unless you manage to find an elevated place like OBS Hill. Check the early pages of this thread, The best place now, is 32L threshold (under the tree) during noontime. and weather station.

All spotting during noon to avoiid backlit

Just returned from KL. I managed to get up to the Met Station and met up with a few MWingers there. Damn worth the trip[ and in fact, I went back there the next day again!

Just returned from KL. I managed to get up to the Met Station and met up with a few MWingers there. Damn worth the trip[ and in fact, I went back there the next day again!

Hi Ryan, glad that you caught some of the planes you like and even went for 2nd helping. :clapping:

See you again next time. :drinks:

Hi Ryan, glad that you caught some of the planes you like and even went for 2nd helping. :clapping:

See you again next time. :drinks:

Note to self : SUNBLOCK

I went back the next day as the weather wasn't too sunny otherwise... PHEW! I got a little burnt from that afternoon.

Hi Guys!

... in 3 weeks (19.02.) I'm at KLIA for one day - with good weather I hope!

Does it make sense to rent a car and drive around the airport for spotting or is it impossible in the meantime because of "Berebar"?

Which spots can be used around the airport and which terminal areas can be seen from the terminal spot? (and where is it located)

Cheers,

Jens