MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Nabiel Haniff

Transmile..

hi...

wanna to ask u all about transmile service..

long time ago Transmile operate as a passenger flight right?

if yes,why it now become a cargo flight?

thanks!

Yes, remember them operating BKI-SZB with 737-200s in 1999 :pardon:

Guess, the cargo has better revenue and the reason they skipped passenger-flights in the end...

Guess, the cargo has better revenue and the reason they skipped passenger-flights in the end...

ooo...

when it end their passenger flight ?

late 1990s?

ooo...

when it end their passenger flight ?

late 1990s?

I remember they used to ferry amed forces personel & families to and from Sarawak/Sabah to Pen malaysia. now it seems Ais Asia has taken over this role

i remember that last time my dad said he tried also. last time they using T2 rite? and all the way to SZB only served with a piece of BUN.

btw, last time they use passenger version of 732?

Hmm actually I recalled that they were using T1, I have seen their 732 parked at T1 of BKI at Gate 6 in early 2001.

I was told by a friend that if you ever wanted to go to SZB, you can hop on to Transmile 732 at the last minute. They can tell you to get off if the passenger volume is not sufficient. Was also told that they only fit in a few seats and the back is actually filled with cargo. I assume it was a 737-200QC.

"QC" stands for "Quick Change" is a 737-200 that has a cargo door at the front section, very much like the Combi. Unlike the combi it does not have a diving wall in between the cargo and the passenger sections. QC has all the airconditioning vent, windows and overhead luggage storage installed while carrying cargos. The convenience of QC is that passenger seats can be placed or taken off the aircraft in a matter of a few hours (to accomodate cargo/pax).

Check out this article:

http://books.google.com/books?id=nTlOXCxBq...AJeYrEsQB-0h2ss

Yes. They did. And before they stopped their passenger flights completely, TH (Transmile) was operating only SZB/BKI and SZB/KCH with the name "BUDJET" in an all white livery.

i remember that last time my dad said he tried also. last time they using T2 rite? and all the way to SZB only served with a piece of BUN.

Hmm actually I recalled that they were using T1, I have seen their 732 parked at T1 of BKI at Gate 6 in early 2001.

They did once use T2 (in the 90s if my memory serves me correctly). Yes, a bun or a cup cake and an orange juice is everything you get between BKI/SZB. A round-trip ticket between SZB/BKI cost only RM400.

By the way, TH also once operated flights between BKI/TWU and BKI/LBU.

Edited by Isaac

By the way, TH also once operated flights between BKI/TWU and BKI/LBU.

Isaac, I saw it with my naked eyes prior to leaving for New Zealand in 1990. Transmile was operating in all white livery with their 737-200 Adv on behalf of Poslaju right? I don't think there were any seats for pax (could be wrong).

I remember MAS was introducing their much quieter 734 after years of the noisy 732 passing by my house. Transmile's introduction of 732 to Tawau gave me a good comparison of between the difference of 734 and the 732. It was very obvious. Noise comparison between the 733/734/735 with the 737NGs is probably much less obvious. :)

Isaac, I saw it with my naked eyes prior to leaving for New Zealand in 1990. Transmile was operating in all white livery with their 737-200 Adv on behalf of Poslaju right? I don't think there were any seats for pax (could be wrong).

Yes, i think they did. Actually they are still doing it now but not sure if they ever operated the 732 cargo flight for Poslaju in white livery. Before they adopted the name "BUDJET", all of their aircraft (including passenger planes) had the maroon/white livery.

I remember MAS was introducing their much quieter 734 after years of the noisy 732 passing by my house. Transmile's introduction of 732 to Tawau gave me a good comparison of between the difference of 734 and the 732. It was very obvious. Noise comparison between the 733/734/735 with the 737NGs is probably much less obvious. :)

The 72S (B727-200adv) is worse. Remember seeing TH 72S taking off from the SZB T3 A&W restaurant. 72S is a super noisy plane.

The 72S (B727-200adv) is worse. Remember seeing TH 72S taking off from the SZB T3 A&W restaurant. 72S is a super noisy plane.

Indeed. Even today, we have Kartika Airlines here in PEN operating their 72S daily (I think) and everytime i heard their 72S took off from my office, i though it was a wide-body airliner taking off. somewhat being fooled by the 72S... cheh! and not to mentioned the obviously visible smoke traila. so inefficient... noise, smoke... booo...

sorry went OT :p

Indeed. Even today, we have Kartika Airlines here in PEN operating their 72S daily (I think) and everytime i heard their 72S took off from my office, i though it was a wide-body airliner taking off. somewhat being fooled by the 72S... cheh! and not to mentioned the obviously visible smoke traila. so inefficient... noise, smoke... booo...

not to forget that the slow climbing rates, slow speed, etc...

I wonder, why those airlines, including TH still operates those aircrafts...the total amount of money they waste on those aircrafts, i think they can buy new aircraft already, brand new and efficient and money saving..

Why do lumber companies here still use those old 1970s TATA or merc lorries, when they can very well provide better work-environment for their lorry drivers, save a bit of fuel, and look good by buying brand new VOLVO 22-wheeler trucks.

It gets the job done.

Initial cost is SO much cheaper than buying new planes, that the offset of fuels lost via bad fuel consumption is well covered by the savings of getting the airplane. Plus some of them are so old, their lease-to-own has finished, meaning "habis-bayar"! So theyre just reaping the profits whilst only paying for fuel, spare parts and MX.

UPS is still flying DC-8s today for this reason.

We have a daily DHL 727-200 Advanced flying to Sydney everyday, if I am not wrong, the DHL bird had been fitted with the hush kit to keep the noise down. I went spotting one time and saw Transmile's 72S who arrived to serve as the cover for the DHL 72S, while she's on her scheduled service. The sound of the non-hushkitted 72S as she was blasting off to the skies is so loud that it triggered some of the car alarms at the carpark :lol: Next thing you saw as she took off to the sky is the 3 lines of black exhaust smoke indicating this bird is a major noise and air polluter and fuel guzzler.

Initial cost is SO much cheaper than buying new planes, that the offset of fuels lost via bad fuel consumption is well covered by the savings of getting the airplane. Plus some of them are so old, their lease-to-own has finished, meaning "habis-bayar"! So theyre just reaping the profits whilst only paying for fuel, spare parts and MX.

UPS is still flying DC-8s today for this reason.

Obviously the said companies aren't concerned too much about the environment but rather more profit oriented. The prevailing mentality - "leaving it all to our children to solve the environmental problem" didn't help too. Part of the reason why somebody in the Ministry of Transport needs to come up with a new regulation to make sure these clown always work above the new emission regulations.

Bear in mind though, the older the planes the more investment will be needed in order to service them. More regular A, B, C, D, E, F, G.... checks (?) to ensure the structures are safe and sound for flying. Spare parts are likely to cost more as a/c manufacturers will eventually stop making the parts and eventually parts will become rare in the second hand market. Fuel is also likely to cost more as it becomes more and more scarce. It is more of the cases that newer planes could be more 'economical' as maintenance, spare parts are not required as regularly compared to their predecessor. Newer birds will likely be more fuel efficient and they will also go an extra mile due to improved efficiency and technology. Hence more money could be spent on financing the planes.

I could be wrong, but seems to me that Transmile is a typical "Chinamen business model" - exploiting the resources to the max. with very little investment. It doesn't matter if the bird or company looks dirty and ugly, so long as they are making a huge amount profit! A few decades down the track, they are still likely look tacky and scruffy if they don't change their mentality. Fortunately we don't see this kind of mentality on SIA or SIA cargo!

Edited by S V Choong

Sorry for the OT, Kartika operates 732 instead of 72S to Penang IIRC.

Hye. My name's raihan, and im new to this forum....i would really appreciate if anyone of u guys could tell me the fleet status of transmile....i heard rumors that they're planning to phase out the MD 11s.....also, wut d u think of the prospects if a pilot works for this company?thanx..

- malaysian 1147 -

I remembered when my family went for a cruise ship holoday with one of our Kuching Tour Agency. We flew Transmile in a B737-200 with the red and gold tail.They had masking tape taped shut some overhead bins as the latch was faulty.We were serves 2 "Gardenia's Twiggies" and a box of Yeo's Air Teh Bunga!So funny! But it was really an experience like no other.The plane would rattle and shale during take-off.Pretty scary!

If that was your flying experience, I can't wait to hear of your cruise ship holoday (sic) - trip report perhaps ?! :)

Sign in to follow this