MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Keith T

oneworld news

Inspired by Pieter's ST thread, I've taken the liberty of starting a similar thread for oneworld. :)

Kicking off... oneworld has identified Belgium and Netherlands as target markets:

oneworld's new fares make travel from the Netherlands more attractive:

http://www.oneworld.com/ow/news/details?objectID=11290

oneworld®, the world's leading quality airline alliance, today launches a range of special fares from the Netherlands, as part of a concerted campaign to gain a bigger share of the air travel market from the country.

Customers flying from the Netherlands can now mix and match any published fares of any of the alliance's member airlines for trips involving flights by any combination of the carriers.

oneworld is the only alliance to offer this degree of ticketing flexibility between all member airlines.

It means passengers from the Netherlands can fly in one direction on one oneworld airline and return on another alliance member - now using both airlines' most attractive published prices all the way.

3 prizes up for grabs as oneworld launches biggest yet drive to increase market share from the Netherlands:

http://www.oneworld.com/ow/news/details?objectID=11291

oneworld®, the world's leading quality airline alliance, is today offering residents of the Netherlands the chance to win a million frequent flyer miles.

Three winners will each win the top prize - enough free travel for 25 return flights to New York, 50 round trips times to Barcelona or a hundred to the UK or eight trips around the world.

Alternatively, you could choose to treat 10 family members or friends to a trip to Australia and back. Or if you want to travel in the best style, it's enough for three First Class trips right around the world or seven round trips in Business Class to Argentina or Brazil.

To have a chance to win, all you need to do is fill in and submit the entry form, which can be found on the alliance's special website www.oneworld.com/netherlands from today or in its wide-spread advertisements from Monday. The closing date is 13 October 2007. Participants must be aged more than 18, and living in the Netherlands.

All frequent flyer mileage equivalents are based on American Airlines' AAdvantage scheme redemption rates.

[substitute 'The Netherlands' with 'Belgium' for Belgium's version of the press releases]

Edited by Keith T

Should someone else start a Star Alliance thread too? ;)

When they've found a newsworthy item for such a thread then yes.

STOCKHOLM: Officials of Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB) and British Airways (BA) will meet in a couple of months to continue discussions on BA reinstating flights to Malaysia.

MAHB managing director Datuk Seri Bashir Ahmad, who met with BA CEO Willie Walsh at the 13th World Route Development Forum here, said: “There is certainly an interest to return but right now, they are looking at figures and forecasts to ensure that when they do operate, the service will be viable and sustainable for the long term.”

“No date (to commence flights) has been fixed as it depends on the viability of the operations and the availability of aircraft,” he said, adding that it was purely a business decision.

“Every time we talk, the picture becomes clearer. We appreciate their willingness to talk to us openly and to share their views on this matter,” he said.

BA was being cautious because it did not want to have to pull out again. “Once they come in, they want to stay,” Bashir said.

Source: TheStar

Nice. :)

BA has changed its configs over the years to make sure it has the right config to suit the kind of market; a more flexible operation overall than the BA that pulled out in 1998.

Can a 767 do LHR-KUL?

As KUL seems to see more leisure traffic (as evidenced by QF sending JQ), BA's long haul 767s (currently doing routes like LHR-DXB 1xdaily, MAN-JFK, LHR-PHL) with 3 class config (Business, Premium Economy, Economy) would suit the KUL market.

The other option is a tag on flight from SIN, where they have a turnaround instead of only a through flight to SYD like BKK.

If the rumours are right (ie Galley fm) and that they eventually drop SYD (sad, but the Oz flights never make much money for EU carriers anyway) and switch to purely codeshares on QF metal - then they'd have a fair few aircraft freed up.

Edited by Keith T

May be BA can resume flights to KUL using 772 (3-class). They were using a 3-class 772 (F, Cradle CW, Y) to KUL before pulled out.

May be BA can resume flights to KUL using 772 (3-class). They were using a 3-class 772 (F, Cradle CW, Y) to KUL before pulled out.

Their 3 class 772s are now Club World (the version prior to the current one), World Traveller's Plus, World Traveller. I don't know where these are currently sent.

But most of their 772s are actually 4 class - F, CW (going to be fitted with current version, New Generation CW soon), WTP, WT - one of the routes with these planes would be LHR-SIN-SYD.

I do hope they've had more substantial meetings than just that one meeting at World Routes, which was more likely an informal discussion.

Edited by Keith T

Their 3 class 772s are now Club World (the version prior to the current one), World Traveller's Plus, World Traveller. I don't know where these are currently sent.

DAC, MAA, China etc.

This is good news indeed if it goes ahead:) As being a OW member will benefit from this as i am in KUL quite often :)

Wwould love to see a BA 744 though but i might be dreaming :)

I don't think they're extending the service to Australia though, not when they're just flying downunder for prestige and not because it's actually high yield. To demonstrate, starting Northern Winter 2007/8, LHR-BKK-SYD will be reduced from a 744 to a 777. The end of BA 744 services on the Roo Route.

SO it'd just be a KUL turnaround - still, another xONEx route option if I can't find availability for the notoriously busy SIN-LHR or BKK-LHR. :)

Edited by Keith T

Hi Keith,

Shame to see the roo route reduced to a 777. I really love my 744's :)

I would still like to try BA from KUL. Never been on BA before....

Also the BA route LHR-BKK/SIN-SYD has low yields? QF takes the bulk of it?

I don't think they're extending the service to Australia though, not when they're just flying downunder for prestige and not because it's actually high yield. To demonstrate, starting Northern Winter 2007/8, LHR-BKK-SYD will be reduced from a 744 to a 777. The end of BA 744 services on the Roo Route.

SO it'd just be a KUL turnaround - still, another xONEx route option if I can't find availability for the notoriously busy SIN-LHR or BKK-LHR. :)

Also the BA route LHR-BKK/SIN-SYD has low yields? QF takes the bulk of it?

JSA (Joint Service Agreement) - they basically share revenue on those kind of routes. Includes LHR/FRA-BKK/SIN/HKG-Australia. Bizarrely, for the MEL-LHR flight via HKG, the JSA only includes MEL-LHR on its own, not MEL-HKG nor HKG-LHR - unlike the other routes. It was added in late, as BA was so unhappy that QF decided to start a flight via HKG, thus competing in an already crowded market (HKG-LHR).

The Kangaroo route has never been easy for European carriers due to having a plane going out for so long, crew changes, crew layovers etc. Most European carriers have moved to purely offline sales for Australia, eg LH, LX, KL. It is more profitable that way as their aircrafts/crews need only go as far as Asia and back, and they only incur codeshare costs on the Asia-Australia segment.

To put it into perspective, a ticket for LHR-SYD doesn't cost much more than LHR-JFK or LHR-ORD. Yet SYD is a much longer flight.

QF on the other hand does very well out of the Kangaroo route as it has very efficient hub operations at SIN and HKG, with flights from BNE/ADL/PER feeding Europe-bound traffic into the LHR/FRA flights from SYD or MEL.

Edited by Keith T

Thanks for that Keith. Makes much more sense now :)

Planning to visit BKK next year for a few nights. Thinking weather to go via BA/QF or TG? Prefer direct flights now as i did MH during easter this year having to stop over in KUL :)

BA/QF arrives quite late in the evening so its kinda wasting a day. TG have a morning/afternoon flight which is ok. But i will be going in Y so if that makes any difference for my choice:)

JSA (Joint Service Agreement) - they basically share revenue on those kind of routes. Basically includes LHR-BKK/SIN/HKG-SYD/MEL. Bizarrely, for the MEL-LHR flight via HKG, the JSA only includes MEL-LHR on its own, not MEL-HKG nor HKG-LHR - unlike the other routes. It was added in late, as BA was so unhappy that QF decided to start a flight via HKG, thus competing in an already crowded market (HKG-LHR).

The Kangaroo route have never been easy for European carriers due to having a plane going out for so long, crew changes, crew layovers etc. Most European carriers have moved to purely offline sales for Australia, eg LH, LX, KL. It is more profitable that way as their aircrafts/crews need only go as far as Asia and back, and they only incur codeshare costs on the Asia-Australia segment.

To put it into perspective, a ticket for LHR-SYD doesn't cost much more than LHR-JFK or LHR-ORD. Yet SYD is a much longer flight.

Thanks for that Keith. Makes much more sense now :)

Planning to visit BKK next year for a few nights. Thinking weather to go via BA/QF or TG? Prefer direct flights now as i did MH during easter this year having to stop over in KUL :)

BA/QF arrives quite late in the evening so its kinda wasting a day. TG have a morning/afternoon flight which is ok. But i will be going in Y so if that makes any difference for my choice:)

Why not go BA WTP? Doesn't cost much more than Y, but heaps more comfy.

The BA flight arrives just in time for certain nightclubs to get busy. ;)

BTW I'm confused, which FFP do you accrue to again? Or aiming for status on lots of different ones?

Edited by Keith T

Keith, does that mean QF has a set of crew based in HKG and SIN that are perhaps Hong Kongers and Singaporeans?

Not sure - but they do have a crew base in LON from what I know.

BA has a SIN crew base from what I can tell - there are usually 2 SIN-based crew members on the BA flights that go via SIN. They will make the Mandarin announcements on those flights.

Hmmm, I think it's more like pleasing the the MAHB, didn't we hv this kind of news last year......reconsidering restarting bla bla bla

Hi Keith,

This year im going for VS Gold. Now next year might be a different story :) Well its either going to be OW or *A :) For some reason the BMI program looks appealing......

Why not go BA WTP? Doesn't cost much more than Y, but heaps more comfy.

The BA flight arrives just in time for certain nightclubs to get busy. ;)

BTW I'm confused, which FFP do you accrue to again? Or aiming for status on lots of different ones?

Hi Keith,

This year im going for VS Gold. Now next year might be a different story :) Well its either going to be OW or *A :) For some reason the BMI program looks appealing......

Try to get them to match VS Gold to BD*G. Then you only need 38k to requalify for *G.

It's even more appealing if you have a UK address and can gain access to the bmi mastercard. ;) [read sticky on the FT bmi forum]

Hi Keith,

Good idea on the matching if it works :) I have family over in the UK so address should be OK. Although not sure if i can use it overseas?

38K should be easy i think even for the infrequent traveller :)

Try to get them to match VS Gold to BD*G. Then you only need 38k to requalify for *G.

It's even more appealing if you have a UK address and can gain access to the bmi mastercard. ;) [read sticky on the FT bmi forum]

http://www.abtn.co.uk/NEWSFLASH_British_Ai...or_new_aircraft

BA goes for new aircraft

British Airways (BA) announced to the London Stock Exchange this morning (Thursday 27 October) its eagerly awaited order for new aircraft. The airline has committed itself for 12 Airbus A380s (with deliveries from 2012) and 24 Boeing 787s (2010). They will be delivered by 2014.

All the aircraft will be powered by Rolls-Royce engines.

British Airways chief executive, Willie Walsh said: “These aircraft set the gold standard when it comes to environmental performance in the key areas of CO2 emissions, local air quality and noise. They will contribute significantly to our target of improving fuel efficiency by 25% between 2005 and 2025.

“They are also much quieter than their predecessors, which is of vital importance at Heathrow. Both the A380 and B787 are rated as producing a quarter of the noise level of the B747-400.

“We will provide customers with a great flying experience on modern aircraft which have brighter interiors and are much quieter inside the cabin. The A380 with its large floor space gives us more flexibility to design innovative cabins while the lower altitude cabin pressure in the Boeing 787 will reduce the impact of jet lag.”

The new aircraft will replace 20 of the airline’s Boeing 747-400s and its14 long haul Boeing B767 fleet. There are options for a further seven Airbus A380s and18 Boeing 787s which still leaves a question mark for the future regarding the 37 remaining B747s, 13 B757s and seven B767s.

The Rolls-Royce Trent 900 is launch engine for the Airbus A380 which enters service next month with Singapore Airlines. The Trent 1000 is the launch engine for all variants of the Boeing 787 and will power the aircraft’s first flight later this year, before entering service in 2008.

With no orders for the Boeing 777 it will put pressure on Boeing to update the world’s largest twin-engined aircraft as a replacement for the balance of the 747 fleet. BA says that the new Airbus A350XWB is under consideration for the future order, which could be for more 787s and a further commitment for 777s.

With only Lufthansa ordering the updated Boeing 747-8 in passenger form a big question mark remains over the future of the 40-year old design.

With both QF and BA getting A380s - it might mean more redemption seats with my AA miles! :D (*fingers crossed*)

Edited by Keith T

Not surprised by the fact that BA is going for RR powerplants, really. Good to learn that they have finally decided to purchase the A380 fugly birds and the smart looking 787.

News available here

If A and B's marketing rhetorics still stand, then BA will be preparing for best of both worlds ! Whalejets for ultra high capacity hub and spoke operations and Dreamliners for thinner point to point services. Good call imo :)

Eh, very sorry, did this before I read Keith's post in 'Oneworld' thread - please refer there for further discussion !

Mod's - please delete this thread if nececessary. Thanks !

Edited by BC Tam

I read on another forum that you might see yet another order soon - maybe for the 748s, as the announced orders are replacing only a small portion of BA's existing 744 fleet.