MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Pieter C.

Skyteam news

Let me tell you that MH Golden Lounges are far superior to a lot of lounges I've been to and these include flagship lounges such as Austrian's lounge in VIE, BA's Galleries lounge in LHR T5, all UA Red Carpet Club lounges (they're the worst!). I've heard that QF's First Class lounge is one of the best and so is TG's First Class lounge in BKK.

Mind telling more MH Golden lounge is superior in which areas ??.....food, layout, showers, entertainment ?.....

Mind telling more MH Golden lounge is superior in which areas ??.....food, layout, showers, entertainment ?.....

I've been to the Golden Lounges in SYD, KUL (International and Domestic), PEN and LHR. The layout of all the lounges are really good. They feel spacious and the "cafe" area where you can eat freshly made food (noodles) is a nice touch. The selection of hot food is also very good. There's free Wi-Fi, which is always welcome, and it's always worked (unlike some other lounges I've been to). There are also computer terminals for those who don't have laptops or netbooks. The showers at SYD and LHR are really nice (like a 5-star hotel). The shower facilities at KUL are ok but they need to be upgraded so that they look and feel more "luxurious".

I've been to the Golden Lounges in SYD, KUL (International and Domestic), PEN and LHR. The layout of all the lounges are really good. They feel spacious and the "cafe" area where you can eat freshly made food (noodles) is a nice touch. The selection of hot food is also very good. There's free Wi-Fi, which is always welcome, and it's always worked (unlike some other lounges I've been to). There are also computer terminals for those who don't have laptops or netbooks. The showers at SYD and LHR are really nice (like a 5-star hotel). The shower facilities at KUL are ok but they need to be upgraded so that they look and feel more "luxurious".

The international lounge in KUL shows some signs of wear and tear damage already.. Not sure if they have plans for renovation anytime soon.

Hi Josh, thanks for the reply. I can't really comment about MH lounges since I don't really use them. However I use CX a lot and since I'm a Gold level in Marco Polo, I tend to use their facilities a lot in HKIA namely the WING, PIER, CABIN and ARRIVAL. At times I also use Qantas Business Lounge. ( I like this as it is quite spacious and not many people there since QF flights are mostly at night)

Whatever you mentioned above is also avaliable in WING, PIER and ARRIVAL and also the Qantas Business Lounge.

For the other CX lounges else where I have been to its a hit and miss. CX TPE lounge = average and OK. CX MNL lounge = a total let down.

I only use MH Domestic in KLIA once couple years back n I do agree the facilities for Domestic lounge is good but could be the fact that they are at home base.

Hi Josh, thanks for the reply. I can't really comment about MH lounges since I don't really use them. However I use CX a lot and since I'm a Gold level in Marco Polo, I tend to use their facilities a lot in HKIA namely the WING, PIER, CABIN and ARRIVAL. At times I also use Qantas Business Lounge. ( I like this as it is quite spacious and not many people there since QF flights are mostly at night)

Whatever you mentioned above is also avaliable in WING, PIER and ARRIVAL and also the Qantas Business Lounge.

For the other CX lounges else where I have been to its a hit and miss. CX TPE lounge = average and OK. CX MNL lounge = a total let down.

I only use MH Domestic in KLIA once couple years back n I do agree the facilities for Domestic lounge is good but could be the fact that they are at home base.

I've been to the Qantas Business Lounge in SYD a few times already. It is spacious but the selection of food there can be a bit hit-and-miss. The other lounge that impressed me was the ANA lounge in NRT. Excellent shower facilities, very spacious (but also very crowded as it's the Star Alliance lounge) with a noodle bar (similar to the one MH offers in their Golden Lounge).

The international lounge in KUL shows some signs of wear and tear damage already.. Not sure if they have plans for renovation anytime soon.

It didn't look obvious to me but a bit of a renovation will make it really nice. I'll have to try and post some pics from my recent trip.

Spare a thought for us in Brisbane - our MH Lounge closed a few years ago and it's been the QANTAS Business Lounge.

Any lounge in the MH chain would leave the QF International lounge in its wake.

At that time of night (2350) when the MH flights from Brisbane usually depart, there's hardly any food left except for a few sad dried out sandwiches. Oh, and two types of cheese. I once looked in the soup tureen and it was supposed to be chicken and corn - let's just say that was more like "shadow soup", where the shadow of a chicken just flew over the lukewarm soup to give it its moniker. I've nicknamed the whole proceedings "slim pickings", it's truly excellent for a slim and svelte waistline!!!

Brisbane MH passengers be warned: eat a proper dinner before you leave home or wait for a light supper to be served around 0030 in the air.

Spare a thought for us in Brisbane - our MH Lounge closed a few years ago and it's been the QANTAS Business Lounge.

Any lounge in the MH chain would leave the QF International lounge in its wake.

At that time of night (2350) when the MH flights from Brisbane usually depart, there's hardly any food left except for a few sad dried out sandwiches. Oh, and two types of cheese. I once looked in the soup tureen and it was supposed to be chicken and corn - let's just say that was more like "shadow soup", where the shadow of a chicken just flew over the lukewarm soup to give it its moniker. I've nicknamed the whole proceedings "slim pickings", it's truly excellent for a slim and svelte waistline!!!

Brisbane MH passengers be warned: eat a proper dinner before you leave home or wait for a light supper to be served around 0030 in the air.

I passed through the QF lounge in BNE when I flew the MH flight from SYD to KUL which stopped over in BNE at the end of October last year. It is sad that MH have closed their lounge there. I agree that the QF lounge is a little bit sad, especially at that time of night. Slim pickings indeed! One should eat before they get to the airport but I remember MH serving the full meal soon after take-off even though it was called "supper" and it was served after midnight!

Wow. Another one for SkyTeam. They've recruited the most in the last 12 months, haven't they?

MAS is starting to look wise now for hesitating to join Skyteam... more and more mediocre airlines joining in.

First Post!

Don't worry MH will get there chance, but it's better to get in now, then wait longer and let both VN & GA expand into bigger carriers and have a more so reason to object, VN has very big expansion plans, the VN government is behind them all the way, even wanting to build a very big new international airport for SGN and making it a major SE Asian hub. There also aiming to be the 2nd largest in SEAsia, after SQ.

Indeed. I've said it once and I'll say it a million times, MH should join ONEWORLD!

It'll never happen but, strategically, it makes sense. OneWorld only have CX really to penetrate the SEA market. Having MH onboard will allow them to really compete with StarAlliance, who have both SQ and TG for the SEA market. Both BA and QF use SIN and BKK as their SEA stop-over points with QF also using HKG alongside CX from flights between Australia and the UK. KUL can provide them with another stop-over point without having to use their own aircraft but simply code-sharing on MH aircraft. This way, OneWorld will be able to provide flights between Australia and the UK via SIN, KUL, BKK and HKG!

Edited by Josh T

It'll never happen but, strategically, it makes sense. OneWorld only have CX really to penetrate the SEA market. Having MH onboard will allow them to really compete with StarAlliance, who have both SQ and TG for the SEA market. Both BA and QF use SIN and BKK as their SEA stop-over points with QF also using HKG alongside CX from flights between Australia and the UK. KUL can provide them with another stop-over point without having to use their own aircraft but simply code-sharing on MH aircraft. This way, OneWorld will be able to provide flights between Australia and the UK via SIN, KUL, BKK and HKG!

Make sense and both QF and BA don't have to send their precious metal to 'low-yielding' KUL.

Make sense and both QF and BA don't have to send their precious metal to 'low-yielding' KUL.

Exactly! A win-win situation for both parties, so to speak.

Further OneWorld thoughts in the OneWorld topic, PLEASE...

After Saudia, MEA of Lebanon is the 2nd Middle-Eastern airline to join Skyteam !!! :pardon:

They will become a full-member and the deal will be signed on 28feb11...

Good lord! SkyTeam really are on a recruitment frenzy! :blink: :o

Embraer announced Monday that KLM Cityhopper exercised options for five E-190 jets valued at $214 million based on list prices.

The options were part of a larger order for 20 E-170/190 aircraft plus 18 options previously announced in August 2007. Initial deliveries of the newly-ordered aircraft are scheduled to take place during the first part of 2012. KLM Cityhopper retains options on two more E-190s, said Embraer.

Embraer Executive VP-Airline Market Paulo Cesar de Souza e Silva said, “This is the third consecutive year for KLM to firm up options, which underlines the success of the E-Jets family in modernizing KLM Cityhopper’s fleet.”

KLM Cityhopper operates 17 E-190s on its regional European routes, all configured for 100-seats in a dual-class layout. With the latest order, the fleet will expand to 22 of the type, said Embraer. KLM-Cityhopper MD Boet Kreiken said that market and passenger response to these aircraft has been “very positive.”

In a non related manner and in my opinion I don't think Malaysia Airlines will be joining any alliance soon as they have agreements with many airlines of all three alliances for its hub-and-spoke system. Rescinding all these contracts and agreements maybe a hassle.

In a non related manner and in my opinion I don't think Malaysia Airlines will be joining any alliance soon as they have agreements with many airlines of all three alliances for its hub-and-spoke system. Rescinding all these contracts and agreements maybe a hassle.

Technically you can continue with the agreements when you join an alliance. Example - AF & QF have a codeshare agreement even though AF is ST & QF obviously is OW

Air France-KLM Bounces Back To Full-Year Profit

May 19, 2011

A recovery in air travel and cost cutting lifted Air France-KLM back to a full-year operating profit, with its bottom line also boosted by a unit's share flotation.

The Franco-Dutch group posted a 2010/11 operating profit of EUR€122 million (USD$174 million) on Thursday after a EUR€1.4 billion turnaround in core earnings since the previous year.

Revenue rose 12.5 percent to EUR€23.62 billion.

Air France-KLM said it was "confident" in its ability to improve operating income this year but was also focused on reducing its 85 percent debt-to-equity ratio, prompting it to skip its dividend for the financial year to end-March.

International Airlines Group, formed by the merger of BA and Iberia, said this month it expected significant growth in operating profit this year as a continuing recovery in travel helps unit revenue and costs.

READY TO ADAPT CAPACITY

Like most airlines navigating through an economic recovery hampered by political instability and volatile oil prices, Air France-KLM expressed uncertainty about the Middle East and the aftermath of the Japan earthquake, as well as its fuel bill.

The various crises in the past few months shaved half a percentage point off its unit revenue in the fourth quarter.

"The oil price is very difficult for the world economy and air transport feels the effects more quickly than most," said Pierre-Henri Gourgeon, whose mandate as chief executive was renewed by the airline group's board.

"We have reduced our costs and improved performance and are much better positioned to face these uncertainties than before."

Fuel costs rose by EUR€186 million to EUR€1.43 billion in the fourth quarter ended March 31. Unit costs rose slightly.

Full-year net profit of EUR€613 million was boosted by a EUR€1 billion gain from a revaluation of the company's 15 percent stake in the Amadeus reservations system, which is now listed.

The underlying net loss was EUR€234 million.

Air France-KLM said it would be taking no chances this year with capacity on the North Atlantic, where the group complained about a glut of available competitor seats over the past winter.

Gourgeon said a joint venture between Air France-KLM and US carrier Delta would trim capacity by 10 percent compared with the previous year in the 2011/12 northern winter.

The group has announced a 5.7 capacity increase in the summer to absorb a "positive" trend in bookings but said it was ready to lower this to adapt to any bumps in the recovery.

Gourgeon unveiled the annual results for the last time on the company's current April-March reporting year, since the company plans to adopt the regular civil calendar from the end of 2011.

(Reuters)

A brief summary of airlines joining SkyTeam alliance:

• China Eastern & Shanghai Airlines
  • China Airlines

• Garuda
  • Middle East Airways
  • Saudia
  • Aerolineas Argentinas

With these new airlines, SkyTeam will virtually dominate Greater China as well as Taiwan, PRC markets. The alliance does not include subsidiaries of China Southern and China Eastern:

• Xiamen Airlines,
  • Zhuhai Airlines,
  • Shantou Air,
  • Guizhou Airlines,
  • Chongqing Airlines &
  • Sichuan Airlines.

Oneworld seems to be the weakest among all the three alliances in East Asia market. Hope they snap up Hainan Airlines soon, however, this will be an issue as Hong Kong Airlines (part of Hainan Airlines Group) is competing with CX in HK base.EVA Airways of Taiwan is non-aligned as of now too.

On a related matter: Star Alliance is now talking to UTAir of Russia and emphasised that they want Jet Airways to be in even though they *soon* will have AI.

Edited by JuliusWong

...and MH is not getting any closer to joining a global alliance... <_>