MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Rozhan

A Tale of Two Helicopters

AUDITOR-GENERAL’S report 2007: Police air wing copters end up with firemen

V. Vasudevan, Minderjeet Kaur and Irdiani Mohd Salleh

KUALA LUMPUR: Two helicopters worth RM117.75 million purchased for the police air wing could not be used as they did not meet Department of Civil Aviation (DCA) specifications.

Auditor-General Tan Sri Ambrin Buang said the DCA had refused to register the two Russian-made Mi-171 helicopters as they did not conform with design guidelines set by the International Civil Aviation Organisation.

He said the oversight by the Internal Security Ministry (then called the Home Ministry) in purchasing the two helicopters had left the police air wing unable to perform its tasks effectively.

To overcome the problems, the government decided to allocate RM272 million under the Ninth Malaysia Plan to buy eight helicopters.

The auditor-general’s advice to the ministry was to ensure the eight helicopters met the specifications and guidelines set by the Department of Civil Aviation.

The Mi-171 helicopters were later given to the Fire and Rescue Department but it only created fresh problems.

"The government had to spend RM4.37 million to train the Fire and Rescue Department personnel to fly and maintain the two helicopters. This comes after spending RM15.37 million to train police personnel to do the same thing!"

The auditor-general said the RM4.37 million could have been saved by getting the police air wing personnel to train the firemen.

Ambrin said support equipment for the two helicopters worth RM13.72 million was not handed over to the Fire and Rescue Department.

The department ended up spending its own money to buy flight helmets worth RM28,500 each for its personnel.

"This happened even though these helmets were provided under the original procurement at RM19,000 per helmet. The government had to spend another RM290,000 to buy 30 flight helmets."

Ambrin also said the failure to install a Leoll-A3 Forward Looking Infra Red equipment had reduced the effectiveness of the two helicopters.

"Both could not be used to optimum capacity."

Link: http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Sat...icle/index_html

When I read this, my mouth just open all the way :rofl: this thing not worth flying at all, no need to mention corruption, right guyz?

Edited by Seth K

budget day already ma... what can we said and do?
Budget day is nothing. This needs to be corrected on election day.

Agree. From my observation, the authorities just could not be bothered by AG's reports, and mismanagement of public funds continue year after year. An independent body that holds individuals into account, and an impartial justice system are what's needed so that this '50-years Merdeka' country can be 'first class'.

The gahmen often accuses the rakyat of 'Third Class Mentality' etc. Now the tables are turned!

Theres another issue after audit, Government spending Rm224 for a set of screwdrivers worth 34RM, more to follow.

Malaysia Boleh!! Semua pun boleh..(malaysia can, everything also can..)

Sounds more like a little hanky panky going on rather than an "oversight". <_<

Like hey my friend, you know those choppers you just got? I have a deal for you. Find an excuse not to use them and so you are forced to look for other alternatives.... like this brand of helicopters which is great for your needs and which by the way I am a dealer for. Get your people to by my stuff and you can have a commission for a few million eh?

Budget day is nothing. This needs to be corrected on election day.

after budget day got more budget for 'them'...

Sounds more like a little hanky panky going on rather than an "oversight". <_>

Like hey my friend, you know those choppers you just got? I have a deal for you. Find an excuse not to use them and so you are forced to look for other alternatives.... like this brand of helicopters which is great for your needs and which by the way I am a dealer for. Get your people to by my stuff and you can have a commission for a few million eh?

Having an email address just a simple yusoff@'domain'.com (cannot reveal lah :) ), once in a while i got a 'stray' emails from goverment depts and recently, singapore's HDB, discussing deals buying and installing stuff, quotations, etc. normally i can see in quotations, prices are marked up double the price you can get at a decent shop. half gone as commissions. you can see people are playing and banking in govt money like they really deserve it..

i love my country too... :D

Yesterday's The Star front page news may be shocking to many, where normal stationery and handtools items bought by the gahmen are marked-up at insane margins.

I'm not surprised really because a KDRM friend of mine had related to me how Customs procurement even for 15 sen erasers to thousand ringgit photographic / video equipment for customs' operations purposes must be bought through a company very much linked to a family member of a certain person whose family is notorious for having business interest in gahmen. I won't tell but your guess may be correct :)

A consignment of Nikon D200 bodies which the Customs bought through the company cost RM9,xxx each.... no discount!

During DrM's administration, one can just go to a shop with a Local Order (LO) form and buy at fair market prices. (Local order is a form to purchase things like sports items, stationery, camera etc. on credit up to a certain amount per LO, to be paid normally within 1 month. Since it is a gov purchase, retailers readily accept unless a certain department is known for late payment.... depends on how eficient the cheif clerk is)

Edited by Rozhan

My tax money going for all these hanky-panky...........TAK HALAL!!!!!!

My tax money going for all these hanky-panky...........TAK HALAL!!!!!!

YES.. the main reason why I would tembak this people...

lambat bayar kene denda.. x bayar, more than that..!!

spending our money to the BULLSHIT stuff...!!!

hope GOD knows what to do..!!

Maybe the two helicopters should be showed as static display at LIMA 07, 09, 11, 13, 15, 17, 19...... as well as Merdeka Parade every year, and eventually send it to the museum after the next 50th merdeka day... :good:

Edited by Kee Hooi Yen

YES.. the main reason why I would tembak this people...

lambat bayar kene denda.. x bayar, more than that..!!

spending our money to the BULLSHIT stuff...!!!

hope GOD knows what to do..!!

No offence, but I am afraid you won't get your prayers answered.

We need a strong independent enquiry commission anti-corruption agency like the ICAC in Hong Kong in order to achieve all this....

Malaysian politicians are so corrupted from the top right down to the bottom, even the anti-corruption agency can have hanky panky deals with the government officials..... where do we go from here?? I couldn't think of any other than a change in the political regime.

We will also need severe punishment towards those who get caught for corruption, otherwise people will think they can get away from it easily.

Edited by S V Choong

l..... the DCA had refused to register the two Russian-made Mi-171 helicopters as they did not conform with design guidelines set by the International Civil Aviation Organisation

Is the Mi-171 in service with any other country apart from the country of origin ? How has the aircraft's safety and service history been so far ?

Has it been revealed what ICAO design guideline has not been met ?

Well, if worse comes to worst, allocate the two birds to RMAF VIP transport fleet. I understand DCA has no jurisdiction over military birds ?! :)

Is the Mi-171 in service with any other country apart from the country of origin ? How has the aircraft's safety and service history been so far ?

Has it been revealed what ICAO design guideline has not been met ?

Well, if worse comes to worst, allocate the two birds to RMAF VIP transport fleet. I understand DCA has no jurisdiction over military birds ?! :)

Yes, the Department of CIVIL Aviation has no jurisdiction over military aircraft. That is the reason the Bomba's Mil-17s are military-registered.

These two birds already in service with Bomba under military regn no ? If so, Norman has a great pic of one of them dragging a flag during Merdeka parade in Obs Hill

If really those two birds, then it's very old story

Only now the Auditor-General decided to publish in his report about the unusual circumstances the purchase was made. It appears to be "Buy first, check compliance later".

How could people in high authority, the decision makers, could commit to buying RM117.75 million worth of equipment before making a through evaluation and suitability of such equipment for what they were intended for. This is not like buying 'pisang goreng' by the roadside.

I believe there is more to this reprt than what has been made available for public consumption.

Auditor-Generals come and go. When this one retires, reports go stale, people forget.... back to square one. Continue embezzeling money.

I believe there is more to this reprt than what has been made available for public consumption

Just bear in mind the quote - "there is no smoke without fire" :D

Sign in to follow this