MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

Nod for new airport in Perak

...but is concerned it may turn into a white elephant.

Yes, I think it will! A porcelain jumbo.

THE STAR

Saturday August 18, 2007

Nod for new airport in Perak

By CLARA CHOOI

IPOH: The Perak government has decided to build a new RM301mil airport in Seri Iskandar, but is concerned it may turn into a white elephant.

Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Mohamad Tajol Rosli Ghazali said the Federal Government must discuss with the state government its plan for the new airport in the new township some 40km from here.

“If we are going to spend the money, we must make sure the airport is fully utilised and does not turn out like the Sultan Azlan Shah Airport,” he said.

Tajol Rosli said it would be a waste of taxpayers’ money if the new airport would only facilitate the Kuala Lumpur-Ipoh sector.

He explained that the Transport Ministry had given the state until yesterday to decide if it wanted to extend the runway at the Sultan Azlan Shah Airport or build a new airport at Seri Iskandar.

“We were told on Wednesday to make a decision by today,'' he said after giving out study loans here yesterday.

Tajol Rosli said it would cost RM70mil for the runway extension to accommodate the landings of A320 Airbus or Boeing 737 aircraft, which could only ply the Ipoh-Kuala Lumpur route.

A further RM390mil and the demolition of 605 houses would allow for the landing of an A320 Airbus on a three-quarter fuel load but would still not allow international flights to Bangkok, Jakarta and Madras, he added.

“The money can be spent but I am not prepared to demolish the 605 homes for this purpose. So, the only option is to construct a new one,” said Tajol Rosli.

He welcomes feedback from the public if they disagree with the state’s decision and have alternative ideas.

On a positive note, Tajol Rosli said that the construction of the new airport would mean that high-rise buildings exceeding 10-storeys could be built within the city.

He added that the location of an airport in Seri Iskandar was ideal as it was close to many other townships like Lumut, Batu Gajah, Kampar and even Pangkor Island.

That Tajol Rosli chap is fast losing credibility (if any left) ....remember lower-orbit space flights to be launched from IPH with some obscure Russian company...

Personally, I would prefer the current runway to be extended. So that there will be perhaps a direct flight from Singapore and I can go home more often. :pardon:

Sultan Azlan Shah Airport (IPH) current runway length is approx 1800m and there some land on both end of the runway which extended 200m and 350m from northern and southern end of the threshold respectively (measured from Google earth :rolleyes:). So how much longer do one runway need to accommodate A320 with full load? And yet have enough space for all the necessary landing aids. Can anyone with runway construction knowledge shed some light? :help:

A further RM390mil and the demolition of 605 houses would allow for the landing of an A320 Airbus on a three-quarter fuel load but would still not allow international flights to Bangkok, Jakarta and Madras, he added.

Damn... foolish...!!

I would burn the airport then...!!!

I think those brilliant people has ran out of ideas to garner votes. At one time, they used universities (to be built in individual target states) to attract voters. Now that we have universities everywhere, churning out graduates with no jobs to apply for, they use airports. Maybe next time we'll hear airports to be constructed in Genting Highlands, Cameron Highlands, Frasers Hill, Gunung Jerai...., all B737 / A320 capable.

I think those brilliant people has ran out of ideas to garner votes. At one time, they used universities (to be built in individual target states) to attract voters. Now that we have universities everywhere, churning out graduates with no jobs to apply for, they use airports. Maybe next time we'll hear airports to be constructed in Genting Highlands, Cameron Highlands, Frasers Hill, Gunung Jerai...., all B737 / A320 capable.

Hahahahahaha...

I agree bro..!!

all buang duit...!!

Sign in to follow this