MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Keith T

SQ A380: Delivery date/First Flight

Any ideas on the inflight product?

I check SQ's website well, all for their 77w none for the big airbus...

A380 J and Y cabins are identical to that of the 77W's. Thus I wouldn't bother with the A380 J or Y if you've already been on these cabins on the 77W.

A380 F "Singapore Suites: A Class Beyond First" is new and will be unveiled on OCT15.

Edited by Keith T

Keith have you been on their 77W yet?

Had it booked as part of a CRWSTAR (it was SIN-ZRH and SIN-MEL...$500 surcharge each eep!), then when PPS changes came out I stopped bothering with SQ and cancelled. :)

Will patiently wait for the new QF products on their A380.

Then I had SQ221 SIN-SYD booked in J for early Dec when I was using my LH miles to go to SGN, but I then decided to go to PVG and the LH rules wouldn't let me stop in SE Asia so I had to changed to NZ.

C'est la vie...

Was just commenting hypothetically - if people have been on the 77W in Y or J, then they've experienced at least 1/3 of the SQ A380. Apart from the new seats, I can't imagine the likes of TBIT or LHR T3 when a few A380s arrive consecutively......

Edited by Keith T

Seatmap of F on A380 shows something like the new F seats on the 77W's

Could this be a red herring ? :)

What is coming increasingly clear is the ommission of those duty free shops, open bars etc as depicted by Airbus promo pics of years gone by. In flight showers could still be on though ! :)

Edited by BC Tam

Have you all check the A380 milestones in Airbus website?

http://events.airbus.com/A380/default1.aspx

Please check on 1st Oct 2003. Guess what, we are part of the Airbus Production Supplier. Coooll....

CTRM from Melaka 'DELIVERS FIRST WING COMPONENTS FOR A380'

Seatmap of F on A380 shows something like the new F seats on the 77W's

Could this be a red herring ? :)

Nope, they're not the same.

You'll see on OCT15.

SQ 77W can still be redeemed using Krisflyer miles (unrestricted awards), whereas Singapore Airlines Suites are closed to ANY form of mileage redemption.

Edited by Keith T

Apparently they failed to sell the first class suite at S$380K, only S$153K - the highest successful bidder on the suite.

A380 Charity Auction Raises Over S$1.9 Million

13 September 2007

Bidders have opened their wallets with generosity and enthusiasm to support the Singapore Airlines A380 First Flight Charity Auction. With almost all seats now sold, the total committed to charities from sold packages so far is approaching S$2 million.

Just 24 seats, listed especially for ‘last chance’ bids, remain for those who are still keen to be part of this historical flight. The seats, in Business and Economy Class in both directions, and Singapore Airlines Suites on the Sydney-Singapore leg, will be open for bids until the end of this week.

Throughout the two weeks of the auction – conducted on eBay, the world’s largest online marketplace – around 2,000 bidders pre-qualified by paying a security deposit, while several thousand others registered, so far buying 638 seats on both legs of the flight.

All the proceeds raised from the auction will be split three ways, between Singapore and Sydney charities, and a global humanitarian organisation:

* One third to Singapore’s Community Chest

* One third between the Sydney Children’s Hospital, Randwick, and The Children’s Hospital at Westmead, both in Sydney

* One third to Médecins Sans Frontières, also known as Doctors Without Borders.

Cheques will be presented to the beneficiary organisations in conjunction with the First Flight on 25 and 26 October.

Singapore Airlines Chief Executive Officer, Chew Choon Seng, thanked the thousands of bidders who participated, and congratulated those who were successful in their bids.

“The auction has provided many aviation enthusiasts around the world with the opportunity to bid to be a part of history. We are pleased that the charities will benefit meaningfully from the proceeds of the auction".

“We thank all participants who demonstrated such enthusiasm and generosity. Now we look forward to the delivery of this magnificent aircraft and introducing it into commercial service” Mr Chew said.

SOME INTERESTING FACTS

A record was achieved for the sale of the first Singapore Airlines Suites package on the Singapore-Sydney flight, which sold for US$100,380 (S$153,000). The bargain of the auction was a single Economy seat from Sydney to Singapore, which sold for US$560 (S$853).

One Singaporean purchased three Singapore Airlines Suites, two Business Class seats and an Economy Class seat on the Singapore-Sydney sector, paying US$56,000 (S$85,280) for the six seats.

Australians made up the largest nationality of successful bidders (15%), followed by Singaporeans (11%), Britons (6%), Americans (4%) and Germans (3%). The other 60% come from all over the world.

Successful bidders ranged in age, from a San Francisco man who will turn 22 on the day of the flight, to a 76 year old from Vancouver, Canada.

The auction was one of the largest charity auctions, and among the most complex, ever held on eBay, and the largest it has operated across the Asia-Pacific. Some 366 auction items have been listed over the last 2 weeks, including seats in all three classes, in singles, pairs and blocks.

The eBay pages hosting details of the Singapore Airlines A380 First Flight Charity Auction recorded over 26 million hits during the auction, with Australia, Germany, the US then Canada making up the most visitors to the sites. Data suggests internet users from over 160 countries visited the auction pages at some point during the auction.

http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_UK/cont...ase/NE_4907.jsp

A380 first flight auction totalled $1.9mln for charity :blink:

Well done, SQ !!! :drinks: