MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Keith T

SQ A380: Delivery date/First Flight

Official press release:

http://www.a380.singaporeair.com/content/n...ressrelease.pdf

DELIVERY DATE SET FOR 15 OCTOBER

FIRST A380 FLIGHT ON 25-26 OCTOBER

Airbus and Singapore Airlines have agreed to a delivery timetable for the first A380 aircraft.

The aircraft is planned for handover by Airbus to Singapore Airlines on Monday 15 October at a ceremony in Toulouse, France.

It will be configured with 471 seats in three classes: Economy, Business and the new Singapore Airlines Suites: a class beyond First.

Within a few days of delivery, the aircraft will fly to Singapore’s Changi Airport: the world’s first A380 home airport. There will be a short period set aside for crew and ground staff familiarisation.

World aviation history will be made when the Singapore Airlines A380 makes its First Flight – SQ380 – to Sydney’s Kingsford Smith Airport on Thursday 25 October, and returns to Singapore on Friday 26 October.

Singapore Airlines Chief Executive Officer, Mr Chew Choon Seng, said the delivery would mark the beginning of a new chapter for the aviation industry. “Everyone at Singapore Airlines is keenly anticipating the delivery of this new plane, and our people are working hard on final preparation for its entry into service. The first flight promises to be one of the most exciting occasions in aviation history.

“We are overwhelmed by the support of the community – from all over the world – for the charity auction. And I would like to thank the many partners and service providers that have followed the lead of our fuel supplier, ExxonMobil, and eBay, in donating their services for the First Flight’s charitable causes.

“While occasions like this are few and far between, we hope this enthusiasm generates support for very worthwhile causes,” Mr Chew said.

Seats across all three classes will be auctioned on the global online marketplace, eBay. There will be plenty of seats put to auction, allowing many opportunities for travelers keen to be part of history to join the First Flight experience.

For the new Singapore Airlines Suites, the A380’s First Flight will be the first ever occasion to fly on what will be a product that totally redefines luxury in the sky.

Entry into scheduled service will commence on the Sydney route soon after the First Flight.

A further announcement will be made on this in due course.

Edited by Keith T

Also confirmed now by Reuters news-agency:

Singapore Air To Receive First A380 On Oct 15

August 16, 2007

Singapore Airlines will take delivery of the first Airbus A380, the world's biggest passenger plane, on October 15, the airline said on Thursday.

Singapore Airlines, the world's biggest airline by stock market value, said that it would pick up the superjumbo from Airbus in Toulouse and take it to Singapore to allow crew and ground staff familiarization with the plane before the first flight on October 25.

Singapore, the first to fly the A380 commercially, will take the aircraft to Sydney on its maiden flight, seats for which will be sold in a charity auction on auction web site eBay between August 27 and September 10.

Singapore Airlines have 19 firm orders for A380s and options for an additional six. The plane has a list price of USD$300 million but airlines are usually given deep discounts.

An all-economy class A380 could seat 853 passengers, or 555 people in a three-class configuration, however, Singapore Airlines will equip the plane with 471 seats in three classes.

(Reuters)

Registration for the first flights charity auction has been started.

The auction will kick start on 27 August 2007.

sin-syd on 25-oct and syd-sin 26-oct. if one were to bid for this "first" flights, wont make sense for a return trip in 2 days. may be book on one of the sin-syd or syd-sin flight. then, buy another 1-way ticket to/from syd.

then again, buying 1-way ticket is expensive, just a bit more can buy return ticket already.... i guess they dont expect a casual traveller to bid for these first flights tickets..

hmmm... wan to bid or not?

My dad is confirmed to be on that first flight but won't take the flight back instead of flying MAS to KUL, can't go, hv school!!!! :angry:

Edited by Seth K

http://news.monstersandcritics.com/busines...tracts_stampede

About 80 travellers have each given either a banker's guarantee or cash deposit of 10,000 US dollars for the right to bid for the first class suites, The Straits Times reported. SIA says the suites 'redefine luxury in the sky.'

Another 120 business class bidders have provided similar guarantees for 1,000 US dollars.

No guarantee is required for economy class tickets. Bids start at 3.80 US dollars for a one-way ticket.

Business class bids start at 38 US dollars and 380 US dollars for the suites. All are for one-way tickets.

Heads Up Down Under:

Apparently, I have heard that the SQ A380 will be conducting a worldwide tour following the first service into Sydney. It is anticipated that the A380 will be visiting YMML, YPAD, YBBN and YPPH in Early to Mid-November!

So don't miss your chance to see something that may perhaps be pretty rare, especially at YPPH and YPAD!

Will find out more and let MWings know as soon as I become aware myself. Cheers!

..... can't go, hv school!!!! :angry:

For goodness sake, get your priorities in order !

Schools will be there year in year out, whilst first commercial flight on the humpback whale jet is ........ never mind, stick to school ! :)

Really looking forward to this "Beyond First Class" phenomenon - is SQ PR so efficient there hasn't been even the slightest leak as to what will be on offer ? If I'm to hazard a guess, it would be en suite bathroom, personal butler/chef and invitation to the flight deck en route (ok, admittedly the last option may be a bit over the top !) :)

For goodness sake, get your priorities in order !

Schools will be there year in year out, whilst first commercial flight on the humpback whale jet is ........ never mind, stick to school ! :)

Dun get me wrong, I hate school too :lol: Anyway, the SIA only give out 2 seats for my parents, traveling only behalf of the ExxonMobil

Edited by Seth K

Quick Seth, put your parents' tickets up on e-bay ! At those prices, you'll all be able to travel in equivalent luxury many times over when 'normal' service resumes :)

I would imagine many of the bids are meant more as donation to the designated charities by SQ business associates and suppliers, in support of this very innovative PR show by SQ :good:

The first ULTIMATE SIA A380 1st Flight Package -Two Suites was snapped up at a "buy it now" price of S$380,000.

Wow!!!!

Apparently that buyer's is quekks, really wondering who is he.

The first scheduled A380 services to Sydney will occur on Sunday the 28th of October 2007. SQ220/221 SYD-SIN-SYD will be the first pair of flights to be operated by the A380.

Seatmap of the SQ A380:

http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/Util/showP...ipmentName=A380

Edited by Keith T

Quick Seth, put your parents' tickets up on e-bay ! At those prices, you'll all be able to travel in equivalent luxury many times over when 'normal' service resumes :)

Hahah, this ticket issued by the Singapore Airlines itself, traveling for company, give a little speech that's all. No selling on ebay, it's F seat for both my parents and they never been to Australia, or ride A380 :p May be at the right price, I would consider, when I say the right price it mean the right price :pardon:

Edited by Seth K

the suite package comes with -

» One (01) limited edition 1:100 A380 model in Singapore Airlines livery (a professionally produced model measuring 2m x 2m)

The first scheduled A380 services to Sydney will occur on Sunday the 28th of October 2007. SQ220/221 SYD-SIN-SYD will be the first pair of flights to be operated by the A380.

Seatmap of the SQ A380:

http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/Util/showP...ipmentName=A380

Their seat configuration looks cool & they have a mini Y cabin with 88 seats only at the back of upper deck.

Main deck Y cabin looks way too crowded with 311 seats in there.

the suite package comes with -

» One (01) limited edition 1:100 A380 model in Singapore Airlines livery (a professionally produced model measuring 2m x 2m)

OMFG ITS 2 METRES!!

Seth are your parents going to have this? This gonna worth a lot in EBAY :D

..... 1:100 A380 model in Singapore Airlines livery (a professionally produced model measuring 2m x 2m)

Strange, my 1:400 version has a wingspan of 20cm. From this, a wingspan of 2m would be 1:40 no ? And 1:100 version would be 80cm ?

Heck, where they going to find a overhead compartment big enough to stuff a 2m x 2m monster ?! :)

Holy cow.... 12 F seats, 60 J seats and 399 Y seats.....

With no Premium Y??

SQ is making lots of charity money from hype suckers who want to take the first flight, good move SQ! :lol:

Edited by S V Choong