MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
M. Sofian H.

Boeing 797 to take on Airbus with (1000 seat)

it will be worst if there is an engine failure.....haha....

Most people don't know that when flying at night and the FA's say that they need to turn off the cabin lights, this is so that if there is an engine fire, passengers will be able to see it and report it to the FA's who will report it to the pilot.

How are they gonna notice an engine fire if this aircraft was released, they're gonna need wing mirrors or a rear view mirror.

Or now they installed the exterior cameras, which both pilots and pax can view almost the entire aircraft anytime.

How are they gonna notice an engine fire if this aircraft was released, .....

Probably in same manner they do/did on the 727's, DC9's, MD80's, Tridents, BAC-111's, VC-10's (and those soviet birds which I can never remember their designations) And I believe external cameras were not readily available during the era of those earlier birds too ?!

(well, looks like Seth got the quip in first !) :)

Edited by BC Tam

I don't think this will ever happen in the near future. Market for 400+ passengers airliner is not very big, even airbus have a tough time selling their A380, let alone a 1000 passengers aircrafts. The demands these days are more on the frequency rather than capacity, except on the slot restricted airports like LHR.

Most people don't know that when flying at night and the FA's say that they need to turn off the cabin lights, this is so that if there is an engine fire, passengers will be able to see it and report it to the FA's who will report it to the pilot.

How are they gonna notice an engine fire if this aircraft was released, they're gonna need wing mirrors or a rear view mirror.

cars? lol ...it reminds me of those days when i was young and thinking how does an aircraft reverse without its mirror.lol.

asides from the noticing the engine fire, it also to allow the passengers eye to adapt to darkness and the windows blind are up as well in order to look for the lights outside in case of emergency evacuation leaving no other exits available.

cars? lol ...it reminds me of those days when i was young and thinking how does an aircraft reverse without its mirror.lol.

asides from the noticing the engine fire, it also to allow the passengers eye to adapt to darkness and the windows blind are up as well in order to look for the lights outside in case of emergency evacuation leaving no other exits available.

I wasn't being serious about the mirrors, obviously it would be cameras, or like military jets, a warning system.

Yep I also knew about the eyes adapting to darkness and being able to spot other lights. It would be hard to spot an engine fire with the shutters/blinds down though wouldnt it (sarcasm).

As for the no market demand for big passenger jets, there's also that word that we keep hearing nowadays. Global Warming (which in my opinion is bull). Climate change more like.

But yeah, we have all these people protesting about CO2 emissions, just take a look at Heathrow this week. What I like to know is where these people go on holiday and how they get there. Along with all their day to day products come from.

But yeah, the 797 is most probably fantasy.

Flying wing concept has been around for over 40 years, whether it will be in commercial production will very much depending on cost per seat miles.

It is unlikely to have 30 abreast cabin because when the aircraft roll, those pax sitting on the outside will be experiencing large movement, drink will be spilled and even dangerous to walk or stand. Furthermore, A380 order has shown the demand for super-jumbo or mega-jumbo doesn’t justify for another new development.

If the flying wings is smaller e.g. 200 to 400 pax, it will be in conflict with 777 and 787. Therefore, it is unlikely to see Boeing to put flying wing into development or production in the next 10 years.

:drinks:

Depending on how much new technology and materials is incorporated, and marketing strategy, 797 may be assigned to Y1 737 replacement.

:drinks: