MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

AirAsia wants to be more profitable than SIA

On AirAsia’s bid to get landing rights in Singapore, he jokingly said: “If they don’t give us KL-Singapore (route), I will buy Singapore Airlines. If they do give us, we will be in Changi and terrorise the Singaporeans.”

Hahahah! :rofl:

+++

06-08-2007: AirAsia wants to be more profitable than SIA

KUALA LUMPUR: Low-cost carrier AirAsia Bhd, which expects its passenger volume to surpass that of Singapore Airlines (SIA) by next year, is now aiming to beat the Singaporean national carrier in terms of profitability.

AirAsia group chief executive officer Datuk Tony Fernandes said SIA had done a fantastic job but AirAsia can be just as well respected and bigger than its competitor from the neighbouring country.

“They (SIA) have been around for 36 years. We have been around for five. Give us some time. We are certainly after them,” he told reporters after giving a talk on corporate challenges for the young Malaysians at the first annual Malaysian Student Leaders Summit here on Saturday.

Fernandes said AirAsia was expecting its passenger volume to hit 18 million per annum next year while SIA was only carrying about 17 million passengers currently.

In his speech earlier, Fernandes said Malaysia was the land of the possible and urged Malaysian student leaders to “believe the unbelievable, dream the impossible and don’t take no for an answer”.

He illustrated the story of how AirAsia grew from a small company into one with a market capitalisation of RM4.67 billion, and it started from a vision that he had after quitting his corporate job in the music industry.

“We are our own worst enemy if we say certain things cannot be done,” Fernandes said, and declared that his current mission in life was to propel AirAsia ahead of SIA.

On AirAsia’s bid to get landing rights in Singapore, he jokingly said: “If they don’t give us KL-Singapore (route), I will buy Singapore Airlines. If they do give us, we will be in Changi and terrorise the Singaporeans.”

Elaborating on this later, Fernandes said Malaysians must get rid of the inferior complex that Singaporeans are better.

“We are as good as them, if not better. People may laugh at me for saying that I want to be bigger than Singapore Airlines. But hey, passenger-wise we are. So, profitability-wise we will go for it,” he added.

Fernandes also said AirAsia was not only concerned with profits but would improve its service quality by looking into matters such as refunding passengers if a flight delay occurs.

http://www.theedgedaily.com/cms/content.js...47d800-c08cb522

Hahahah! :rofl:

+++

06-08-2007: AirAsia wants to be more profitable than SIA

KUALA LUMPUR: Low-cost carrier AirAsia Bhd, which expects its passenger volume to surpass that of Singapore Airlines (SIA) by next year, is now aiming to beat the Singaporean national carrier in terms of profitability.

AirAsia group chief executive officer Datuk Tony Fernandes said SIA had done a fantastic job but AirAsia can be just as well respected and bigger than its competitor from the neighbouring country.

“They (SIA) have been around for 36 years. We have been around for five. Give us some time. We are certainly after them,” he told reporters after giving a talk on corporate challenges for the young Malaysians at the first annual Malaysian Student Leaders Summit here on Saturday.

Fernandes said AirAsia was expecting its passenger volume to hit 18 million per annum next year while SIA was only carrying about 17 million passengers currently.

In his speech earlier, Fernandes said Malaysia was the land of the possible and urged Malaysian student leaders to “believe the unbelievable, dream the impossible and don’t take no for an answer”.

He illustrated the story of how AirAsia grew from a small company into one with a market capitalisation of RM4.67 billion, and it started from a vision that he had after quitting his corporate job in the music industry.

“We are our own worst enemy if we say certain things cannot be done,” Fernandes said, and declared that his current mission in life was to propel AirAsia ahead of SIA.

Elaborating on this later, Fernandes said Malaysians must get rid of the inferior complex that Singaporeans are better.

“We are as good as them, if not better. People may laugh at me for saying that I want to be bigger than Singapore Airlines. But hey, passenger-wise we are. So, profitability-wise we will go for it,” he added.

Fernandes also said AirAsia was not only concerned with profits but would improve its service quality by looking into matters such as refunding passengers if a flight delay occurs.

http://www.theedgedaily.com/cms/content.js...47d800-c08cb522

I agreed, we Malaysian can be as good as Singaporeans or better off, and i hate to say that Singaporeans are basically kiasu people. Now we had developed our very own Malaysian brand and i am sure AK will be more profitable than SQ someday..soon the glories will be on AK :drinks:

“believe the unbelievable, dream the impossible and don’t take no for an answer”.

Simple cool..Cant wait to see AK to beat SQ in terms of profitability.

It shows how great AK is!

Instead of buying SIA why don't he buy MAS. That will solve all his problems.

Yikes, you certain ?!

At least TF got the correct idea. Getting he profit is the right thing to do for any business.

MH wants to compete with SQ as well, even since TR days. But they want to be bigger, more this and more that, more everything BUT profitability.

Instead of buying SIA why don't he buy MAS. That will solve all his problems.

Good idea Maarof, thats what he needs and he will monopolise the Malaysian aviation market once he bought out MAS. Even so, buying MAS will be a huge mission for him, you can just imagine the hurdles....

What makes him think SIA is going to sell their stake to him? A bit of over-confidence there!

Edited by S V Choong

They surely can be more profiable if they do the right thing..not to the extent of buying SIA la,Tony was just joking ..

They surely can be more profiable if they do the right thing..not to the extent of buying SIA la,Tony was just joking ..

Of course Tony is joking, he may have the money, but not ownership. Temasek will hold on tight on their baby.

Anyway, well done AirAsia !

Maybe one day, when they are more profitable than SIA & can give bigger bonuses to staffs than SIA, I may consider jumping ship. :rolleyes:

Sign in to follow this