MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
S V Choong

Options for travelling to Senai airport from SIN

I am planning on a trip to SIN and HKG late August. However, I'd like to travel to Sabah as well by Air Asia from Johor Bahru. Question is, how do I get to Senai Airport from Singapore? I heard there is an Air Asia bus?? Where should I board the bus?? Does it take me all the way from Singapore to JB's Senai Airport? Anything tricky or hard to deal with along the way, like custom or immigration?

Cheers.

Edited by S V Choong

You have to go through immigration and customs twice - once at Singapore and another time at Johor Bahru. Passport control can be very slow both ends during peak hours so do plan for a delay.

Can't comment on the bus. But i've always found it convenient to cab it all the way to Johor Bahru, then get another cab to Senai Airport. Taxis in both countries are exceedingly cheap compared to NZ.

You might find these threads on Flyertalk useful for info on getting from SIN to JHB, even though they are a bit old (2004/5):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=328321

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=411417

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=338791

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=404704

Edited by Keith T

Can't comment on the bus. But i've always found it convenient to cab it all the way to Johor Bahru, then get another cab to Senai Airport. Taxis in both countries are exceedingly cheap compared to NZ.

Taxi in NZ is a total rip off ;)

Thanks for the tip. Are the cabbies at JB safe? These days I heard the taxi at KL are not safe, does that apply to JB as well?? :unknw:

Choong,

You can choose to pre-book a taxi to travel from Senai to any destination in SIN (or vice versa) at S$50. The car seats four so if you are travelling with family/friends the price is quite reasonable. You need to phone them up and give them your mobile phone number, flight details. I used them once in December last year and recommended it - unlike buses you dont even need to get off the car at immigration when going into Singapore (not sure about coming back to Malaysia though). I learnt this from a friend and it looks like we folks from Kuching use their service quite a lot, especially AirAsia passengers who are unable to use the MAS bus service to SIN. Let me know if you are interested.

Edited by H C Chai

Thanks for the tip. Are the cabbies at JB safe? These days I heard the taxi at KL are not safe, does that apply to JB as well?? :unknw:

I've never felt unsafe in either city. Like any other city, there are always a few black sheep around (let's not talk about Jo'burg or downtown LA at night for this discussion :p). So long as you're sensible, like only catching licensed taxis, you ought to be fine.

BTW, you should give HC Chai's suggestion a go.

Edited by Keith T

..... unlike buses you dont even need to get off the car at immigration when going into Singapore (not sure about coming back to Malaysia though)

Nope, minimal hassle when I took a taxi with Dad from Singapore to JB, the cabbie took care of everything. Mind you, that was a few years ago though !

Now, if you're thinking of taking the coach/bus service, let's just say it's an interesting experience ....... For the record, I wouldn't classify it as unpleasant, just yet :)

You can board taxi's to JB/Senai at the Queen street taxi stand. One option is to take the taxi to the JB taxi stand next to Persada Johor and board the bus next to it to the airport. Buses leave based on the schedules of both AK and MH.

If anyone wants to use the MAS bus from SIN remember that if you do not make a prior booking at any MH office, the bus will not enter SIN to pick you. This is because of the reduced number of people using the service of late.

Personally I was initially quite horrified last year to discover that Air Asia had jacked up the cost from RM2 (I think) to RM8 for the transfer between the City Lounge & Senai Airport.

From what I know (cab excluded), there are 3 ways of getting to Senai Airport from Singapore

A) If one is boarding a MH flight at Senai, there is a convenient Senai Express coach from Copthorne Orchid & Asia Hotel in Singapore direct to Senai airport.

B) As mentioned above, using AK's rip-off shuttle shuttle. One advantage is that the departure timings of the shuttle is sync-ed with the flight departure timings. The city lounge is located at Kota Raya II terminal located at Jln Trus behind Komtar Complex near the immigration complex, and is served by SBS Transit 170 Blue Plate (indicating JB Kota Raya II at the front after clearing JB Immigration), SBS Transit 160 (from Jurong East Int), and SMRTBus 950 (from Woodlands Regional Interchange). Walkable distance from the immigration complex though.

C) Totally by public transport (locals way) Cheapest too! =D.

For those who are interested,

Step 1: Make your way to JB Immigration complex. An easy way is to take the MRT to Kranji and board svc 160/170 on the opposite side of the road. For this method, strongly advise to use SBST instead of Causeway Link cos SBST has the most frequent buses & save on transport cost (through fare from Kranji to Larkin Terminal).

Step 2: Clear Singapore & JB immigration (the time at each checkpoint varies from 1min (my personal record) to 3hrs). After exiting JB Immigration hall, keep left and there should be a group of people waiting. Take svc 170 with the plate that says "JB Larkin" at the front. Just show bus ticket to board. Then the bus will proceed non-stop to Larkin terminal (abt 20-30mins, depending on traffic). Alight at the terminal.

Step 3: Wait at the same side of the terminal as where you had alighted (the terminal building has 3 sides). Board GML Line service G1 or Maju service 227 (both same route. Either of these 2 services are quite frequent and reliable as it is considered one of the 'prestige' services by the operators.The bus may or may not come into the berths. If not just walk out where the bus would be waiting. The destination "Senai Airport" or "Senai" is prominantly displayed at the front (and maybe the side & the rear too). The fare (if it had not hiked yet) is RM3.00. The journey would take about 1hr, and its rather express as it uses Jln Skudai all the west before turning to head north towards Senai. The bus would stop terminate right in front of the Senai Airport terminal building.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Now I know Senai much better!

Where exactly is Larkin? Is that the outskirt of Senai?

HC Chai, could you please PM me with the taxi details? We have 3 people travelling together so it makes a lot of sense. Just hoping that taxis in JB is not as dodgy as those in KL.

Keith, hate to say this and Azmal is not going to like this. There is a rumour out there that JB is really unsafe, the situation there is more serious than KL.

Edited by S V Choong

Keith, hate to say this and Azmal is not going to like this. There is a rumour out there that JB is really unsafe, the situation there is more serious than KL.

Yes read about it in the Malaysian media when I was there. Capital of crime in Malaysia apparently. Just be cautious but not alarmed I guess. :)

Where exactly is Larkin? Is that the outskirt of Senai?

Larkin = JB Bus Station (like Puduraya of KL).

Not rumour but it's a matter of fact, JB is the worst when it comes to safety.

Since there are 3 of you might as well take taxi direct from Singapore.

I was in JB alone recently and stayed at the NAZA Hotel. I can't say JB is unsafe as nothing untoward happened, and I did not feel threatened by anyone at all.

By staying at NAZA, I had to walk across the construction site of the ICQ complex to the CBD area, amongst migrant workers and strangers crisscrossing the site. I almost got lost finding the gate leading to the CBD and railway station, and a construction worker kindly guided me to the right direction.

However I don't understand how prostitution dens can be so daring to open in broad daylight in one of the busiest part of JB. Pimps can be seen coercing people who walk by to patronize their brothels. And people can be seen selling wierd things out of briefcases along the 'five-foot path'.

Although JB was reported in the papers to be crime-ridden, the same can be said to other major cities in the country. In KL, someone got shot in the head twice and later bombed to smithereens, and a body was found chopped up to pieces in a refrigerator at a prestigious housing estate. Now how's that for change?

In KL, someone got shot in the head twice and later bombed to smithereens, and a body was found chopped up to pieces in a refrigerator at a prestigious housing estate.

EEEK! :blink:

I guess it is probably to look at the crime rate against population? Then we will get a picture to which city is better off?

HC Chai, could you please PM me with the taxi details? We have 3 people travelling together so it makes a lot of sense. Just hoping that taxis in JB is not as dodgy as those in KL.

OK, but I need to get the number from my mum, so it is going to take a day or two. Hope that's ok.

In the meantime you might want have a try on Silkair (www.silkair.com). Their fare ex-SIN can be a bargain. I am not sure which date you are travelling but in late August/early September they seem to have quite a few seats available at S$346 inclusive (RM795) for SIN-BKI return. AK fare in late August can be quite expensive, so it is worth considering Silkair if their schedule fits your (they don't fly to BKI everyday though, thats the downside). Dont forget Silkair is a full service airline so you get meal, drinks, allocated seating, 100% female cabin crew ;) and most importantly, the hassle of travelling all the way from SIN to Senai.... Just a suggestion...

Thanks for the advice. Hope to get the contact in a few days if you can. Cheers.

Silk Air may not be the best option as I won't be stopping at BKI. My actual destination is TWU. Going by Silk Air means I would need to fork out extra time and money for the AK/MH flight from BKI-TWU and return.

I can survive on an LCC for 3 hours. When you are travelling with others, it won't be boring after all.

Just wondering...are the taxis from Singapore allow to drive to Senai directly?? I guess you are talking about the Silver comfort cabbies or blue cabbies commonly found in SIN???

Edited by S V Choong

Sign in to follow this