MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Khalil Abd Halim

August's Going Places...

Talking about MH's history...I have one old 1973 or 1974 brochure that says, at the bottom of a picture of F seats: "Your seats. They're bright and colourful, in gay malaysian designs." .....the innocent 70s.

OT:

"That's far out groovy~~!"

LOL! The only 70's that I don't miss is the Afropuffs, Farrah Fawcett, her wavy hairdo and the disco music :lol:

I got my August issue on the way. Anyone selling it on ebay next year? :p

Seems good news here as we celbrate the 50th Merdeka....and guess i should take extra few copies of the Agug Going Places so that i can sell it on ebay....another way to earn some side income..haha :drinks:

Another worthwhile collector's item is the supplement to Going Places when the 772 (9M-MRA) was first launch on commercial services in late April-97. This supplement introduces the pax to MH 772 (dubbed the most luxurious 772 in the world then), and was also the first MH aircraft that had phones and PTVs in every seat. It was also to commerate MH's 50th Golden anniversary.

I think the supplement was only used for maiden flights during the first 3 mths of 772 services.

I still remember vividly on the MAS 5Oth annivesary and if im niot mistaken, i still keept a copy of the Going Places and it's time for me to go back to my shelves and try to locate it and compare it with out latest 50th Merdeka issue, seems a good idea for me :rolleyes:

I also have the 50th anniversary Going Places magazine. And a 10th anniversary hard cover coffee table book by MAS issued in 1982. Some pics in the Merdeka issue were first seen in this book and another in Airborne-history of MAS book. I think MAS should credit SIA Archives for some of the pics used in Merdeka issue, like it did for these 2 coffee table books.

O/T finally received my SilverKris May 2007 issue, unfortunately not much pics of planes, but I am happy enough! ;)

Hope Isaac won't be disappointed when he received his copy of the same thing!

Edited by S V Choong

I also have the 50th anniversary Going Places magazine. And a 10th anniversary hard cover coffee table book by MAS issued in 1982. Some pics in the Merdeka issue were first seen in this book and another in Airborne-history of MAS book. I think MAS should credit SIA Archives for some of the pics used in Merdeka issue, like it did for these 2 coffee table books.

Wow, u even have the 10th anniversary hard coffee cover back dated to 1982. It's historical issue now. Hehe match the 50th anniversary and 50th Merdeka together and im sure we can upload to ebay for a price beyond reasonable when there's interested party :rolleyes:

O/T finally received my SilverKris May 2007 issue, unfortunately not much pics of planes, but I am happy enough! ;)

Hope Isaac won't be disappointed when he received his copy of the same thing!

Hey bro, may i know how did u get the SQ's silverkris issue?

I may be able to lay my hands on some copies of SILVERKRIS May 2007 . . . and will bring them with me when I next come to KUL.

Perhaps someone (Jonathan or another person) could co-ordinate and let me know how many copies is needed. I cannot guarantee that I could meet all requests but will try my best to get as many as I could without being booted out of the SIA office.

On Page 43 of this issue : Under the 1972 entry . . . it is stated that "On October 1, Malaysia-Singapore Airlines splits up to become two new entities - Singapore Airlines and Malaysian Airline System."

Can someone also help me grab two copies of the August 2007 issue of Going Places? What a huge hibiscus they had on the cover!

KC Sim

Edited by KC Sim

SIA will mail me the May 07 issue of Silverkris for free too. Superb!

Wow this is cool. I have requested a copy and all I get is a one liner email "the Silver Kris is an inflight magazine of Singapore Airlines and therefore is only available onboard". The UK customer service team always seem a bit impersonal to me so I wasn't expecting too much anyway :pardon:

Thats funny because I requested two copies from SIA office in Auckland and they are quite happy to give them to me. The other copy is for Isaac ;)

Wow this is cool. I have requested a copy and all I get is a one liner email "the Silver Kris is an inflight magazine of Singapore Airlines and therefore is only available onboard". The UK customer service team always seem a bit impersonal to me so I wasn't expecting too much anyway :pardon:

What bloody idiots! Don't those fools realise that the mag is also a marketing tool? And, don't they realise that the May issue will not be onboard SQ flights now?

I suggest you write to the SQ customer service in S'pore who are alot more helpful.

I bet they have copies left at their UK office, but some people just aren't that helpful at all. ;)

Chai, you might like to contact the Singapore office or lodge a complaint with SIA headquarter regarding that attitude of theirs in the UK office.

I bet they have copies left at their UK office, but some people just aren't that helpful at all. ;)

Chai, you might like to contact the Singapore office or lodge a complaint with SIA headquarter regarding that attitude of theirs in the UK office.

I got the same reply before in year 2002 and mind you that my last flight with SQ was barely two months ago when i sent my request to them (through their website). I was requesting for the September 2002 SilverKris magazine and i got the exact same reply H C Chai quoted. I never thought i can get this May 2007 SilverKris magazine until S V who was kind enough to offered me one. Thanks again SV :p

I got the same reply before in year 2002 and mind you that my last flight with SQ was barely two months ago when i sent my request to them (through their website). I was requesting for the September 2002 SilverKris magazine and i got the exact same reply H C Chai quoted. I never thought i can get this May 2007 SilverKris magazine until S V who was kind enough to offered me one. Thanks again SV :p

Oh well, thats totally understandable, especially these days airlines are making every effort in cutting down cost. What p* me off slightly is they could have responded in a more polite manner. And guess what, the email also comes with an attachment of a response to an enquiry from another guy who wants to travel to the Philippines and is looking for advice on flight booking. :blink:

Yeah yeah, my bro will go to Langkawi this Friday, I will ask him to take one for me

I guess this is the May 2007 issue of SILVER KRIS u guys are talking about. I nicked my copy onboard SQ117 from KUL-SIN :rolleyes:, thought that it would be a good read about SIA. Hehe... didn't realize that it is such a hot item over here. :pardon:

silver_kris_may_2007.jpg

BTW, I wanna point out that the cover photo of the commemorative issue is taken by our Singapore MWinger - KC SIM. Photo on the content page also his. Bravo!! :good:

Edited by kianhong

An enterprising eBayer is offering Going Places for a princely sum here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Malaysia-Airlines-60th...1QQcmdZViewItem

Another here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...A:IT&ih=009

I think the first listing will be a benchmark for those wanting to sell at eBay.

By the way, SQ KL office was gracious to extend me a copy of the May issue of SilverKris, after an email was sent through SingaporeAir as suggested by Mushrif. I appreciate the fact that SQ went out of their way to send one, which is good for their marketing and certainly customers' goodwill.

An email I sent to Blu Inc (producer for MH Going Places) 2 months ago enquiring about subscription is still unanswerd to this day. Well, I was not expecting much, but shows the kind of organizations MAS appoints and do business with.

Why don't you try and ask MH's corporate communications folks about the Going Places subscription? I think their numbers are listed at the end of press releases.

Why don't you try and ask MH's corporate communications folks about the Going Places subscription? I think their numbers are listed at the end of press releases.

I'll try that. However I did call up MAS marketing dept, but they reverted me to Blue Inc. But it seems Blu Inc is giving MH a bad impression.

I must say the SQ mag is fabulous Mushrif. Thanks for the tip.

And KC Sim's cover picture on the magzaine is fabulous. It brings out the prestige image of SQ through its stunning colours and great composition.

Edited by Rozhan

Sign in to follow this