MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
BC Tam

Not Impressed !

DAILY EXPRESS NEWS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flash flood hits KKIA runway

Kota Kinabalu: A prolonged heavy afternoon downpour left parts of the Kota Kinabalu International Airport (KKIA) Terminal 2 runway under ankle-deep waters, Wednesday.

Malaysia Airport Berhad (MAB) KKIA Manager Aznan Othman said, when contacted, that four flights had to be delayed for several hours.

"No flights were cancelled except for three domestic and international flights that had to be delayed because of the bad weather and low visibility," he said.

It is believed that the flash floods in the low-lying areas around Terminal 2 may be due to lack of a proper drainage system under the current airport expansion programme due to be completed by 2009.

The flood waters also affected the hanger housing private planes and helicopters kept there. Fortunately there was no serious damage.

Daily Express learnt that minor flash foods often seeped into the administrative areas and hangars at Terminal 2 and most of those affected said Wednesday's incident was the worst as the drainage system has been blocked by the current upgrading works.

Most the lower reaches are now surrounded by higher ground, therefore submerging the area whenever there is a heavy downpour and causing inconvenience to staff at offices occupying the lower grounds.

According to them, the waters began to rise at about 4pm and reached nearly a metre near the entrance of their office complex.

Those affected urged MAB to instruct the developer to open a proper drainage system to avert similar problem in the near future or before the next heavy rainfall.

Someone going to blame global warming, again ?! :)

Edited by BC Tam

Wah.. today also heavy rain.. better go to T2 maybe can get picture... :rolleyes:

Regarding yesterday's rain, I think Adrian's backyard was also flooded!

And as I was driving to UMS along Jalan Tuaran, I wished hard for an unobstructed journey...

Violent and unpredictable weather nowadays.

That's doesnt surprise me at all, Sabah being the rishest state in Malaysia but yet the top currupted states in Malaysia. The federal government had allocated sufficiend to develop the states including the expansion and upgrading of KKIA, but wwe do not know how much had been so called "under table $$" or missing fund that has been channelled to the politicians. Im sorry to say that, the current CM has almost monoply all the project from small to mega projects and that's one of the reason that the deputy CM resigned from the cabinet recently...Now, most of the projects allocated are now in the hands of the CM'S cronies....and very sad to say that a politician from Kemaman, Terengganu had further reaffirmed the same stories to me..cenetly when i met him in Malaysia Hall, London

What exactly is a "Terminal 2 runway"?

Did the newspaper mean taxiway or tarmac?

Are they refering to the KKIA T2 aircraft parking bay?

What exactly is a "Terminal 2 runway"?

Did the newspaper mean taxiway or tarmac?

As usual, don't expect too much from the press.

BTW I took off in heavy rain from BKI on Tuesday. One AirAsia missed conducted a go around just after that due to low visibility. However when I was abeam T2 the rain subsided; the AK did a successful landing on runway 20.

As usual, don't expect too much from the press.

BTW I took off in heavy rain from BKI on Tuesday. One AirAsia missed conducted a go around just after that due to low visibility. However when I was abeam T2 the rain subsided; the AK did a successful landing on runway 20.

I thought AK pilot will still do a hard landing even thought it's heavy rain...since they're more concern with the time and the number of flights they can operate daily?

I thought AK pilot will still do a hard landing even thought it's heavy rain...since they're more concern with the time and the number of flights they can operate daily?

While there are always a few "champions" in every airlines, the majority are still concerned with their life and limbs.

While there are always a few "champions" in every airlines, the majority are still concerned with their life and limbs.

That's should be the rule of thumb when it comes to passengers safety comes 1st... :rolleyes:

this is serious...now i wonder did they do the drainage system design properly..hhmm..

this is serious...now i wonder did they do the drainage system design properly..hhmm..

Er...drainage? What drainage? :D

every development projects need to have its own drainage system...in this case..for an airport..runway/apron to be exact...is not the typical drain u see along the road...its very different...

I suspect it's not actually the runway per se, it's raised a bit from the surrounding areas if I'm not mistaken. Probably part of T2's apron and taxiway that was affected. There was a pic in the printed paper that showed the Sabah Air/Flying Club hangar submerged - see, if one chooses one's words carefully, quite easy to create a sensational story ! Actually, it looked perhaps just a couple of inches at most, and from the angle of the pic, can't make out if the whole place was affected.

Months ago I've remarked that T2's car park is prone to flooding. The car park and surrounding area used to be some swampy ground which I suppose acted as a sort of reservoir for excess rain water to flow into. Now with the area used up, where is the water supposed to go ? I don't see any major drainage upgrading around that area.

Yes, as far as the drainage around the runway is concerned, that is taken much more seriously. When they wanted to extend BKI's runway to what it is today (yes, way back then), first thing they did was to get all the drains and culverts constructed so water can flow properly out into the sea. Quite a big job at that time actually, considering the place was still quite isolated then.

Thanks Capt Radzi,like everybody else,even though were an LCC that does not mean were not safety conscious,who wants risk everybodys life,when its just do the Go Around procedure and come do anot-her approach,and enjoy another day ,eh!

I dont see a preper drainage nearby the T2...what i can see is the grass nearby the runway is usually flooded whenever after a heavy downpour:-)

Sign in to follow this