MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Pieter C.

Jetstar A330 made an emergency landing at DPS

Jetstar Jet In Bali Emergency Landing

July 23, 2007

A passenger jet operated by Australia's Jetstar with more than 300 people on board had to make an emergency landing on Indonesian island Bali due to engine problems, an airport official said on Monday.

The Airbus was traveling from Bangkok to Melbourne when a fault was detected in one of its engines, Denpasar Airport spokesman Munir said.

The plane diverted to Denpasar, where it made a successful emergency landing at 04:46 a.m. local time (2046 GMT on Sunday), and the problem was being investigated, the official said.

"We don't know yet whether the engine went completely dead or merely experienced minor trouble when the plane was in the air," said Munir.

Officials at Jetstar in Bali could not immediately be reached for comment.

Jetstar, the low-cost subsidiary of Qantas Airways, has tripled in size since its launch three years ago.

The international arm of the carrier currently flies to 10 Asian cities, with plans to add more flights this year.

(Reuters)

It's a relief that I abandoned my JQ Starclass booking in favour of BA WTP, or I'd have been on that very flight.

Two years ago, I took an Air Asia flight from KUL to BKI. It was on a brand new Airbus A320.

After we landed and parked on the tarmac, we were stuck in the cabin for a good quarter of an hour because, according to the pilot, the engines failed to shut down. In the end, he managed to switch off the staboard engine and we exited the aircraft on the right hand side door.

Any explanation guys why engines can't be shut down? Is it because the APU wont switch on? In which case that pilot is foced to keep one engine running so that the plane has enough power to switch the other one back on when its time to take off?

I wonder why the passengers are not allowed to disembarked the aircraft if the engine cant be shut down? Any reason? Well, seems like AIRBUS planes have encounter lots of trouble lately...

It's a relief that I abandoned my JQ Starclass booking in favour of BA WTP, or I'd have been on that very flight.
Man, what an astounding TR that would have made !! :p
I wonder why the passengers are not allowed to disembarked the aircraft if the engine cant be shut down? Any reason?
My guess is they don't want any pax in their engines ?! Think 'foreign object damage' :)

Two years ago, I took an Air Asia flight from KUL to BKI. It was on a brand new Airbus A320.

After we landed and parked on the tarmac, we were stuck in the cabin for a good quarter of an hour because, according to the pilot, the engines failed to shut down. In the end, he managed to switch off the staboard engine and we exited the aircraft on the right hand side door.

Any explanation guys why engines can't be shut down? Is it because the APU wont switch on? In which case that pilot is foced to keep one engine running so that the plane has enough power to switch the other one back on when its time to take off?

Could it be that the airport didn't have enough facilities for their new A320 to switch on the engine at that time? If they shut the engine down their might not have enough power to switch it on again. So they just left one engine running. Another reason they keep the engine running is their turnaround time used to be very short. Just my 2 cents...

an aircraft can switch on their apu without any ground equipment unless with the battery in good condition. even for ground equipments, all connectors are standard ports for all aircraft. so no worries about that, just my 3 centsss...

I wonder why the passengers are not allowed to disembarked the aircraft if the engine cant be shut down? Any reason? Well, seems like AIRBUS planes have encounter lots of trouble lately...

Nothing should go near a running aircraft engine - neither vehicles or prople. Suicide man...

And ak is using staircase, right? No aerobridge. No way anyone is disembarking on stairs with engines running!

And even if with aerobridge, foreign objects can get sucked into the engine from lose items on aerobridges. You dont want that to happen, dont u... :nea:

Airbus is under a lot of pressure lately , particularly the Power8 cost cutting and planed elimination of 10,000 Jobs...you can imagine the workers in the factories being disgruntled and having daily strikes and industrial action...at the same time there is a lot of management changes occurring within.... and of course customers dissatisfaction on the handling of A380 fiasco, and thus there exist increased pressure to not screw up on deliveries of other models....

.. and to meet demand Airbus are aiming to increase production rapidly , despite the circumstances...

.......all these factors could ultimately lead to quality control issues.... :(

Edited by Ahmad Sharilamin

a 3 weeks old new brand aircraft! interesting, I remembered Turkish Airlines new A330-200 last years. After 1 month of delivered, one of new A330s grounded due electric problem suddenly. We were talking the same issue about "how could it be in a fabric delivered aircraft?". I remember, problem were on APU and entertainment system. After repaired that A330 entered service but another one lived the same problem!

QR also have had problems, last year they took an A332 that only 2 weeks into service has uncommanded shut downs, and in another instance had oxygen masks deploy. This is exactly the sort of thing that happens when you try to go too far into the technology stakes.

QR also have had problems, last year they took an A332 that only 2 weeks into service has uncommanded shut downs, and in another instance had oxygen masks deploy. This is exactly the sort of thing that happens when you try to go too far into the technology stakes.

What type of engines are fitted in Jetstar, QR and MH ? RR I pressume ? :rofl:

What type of engines are fitted in Jetstar, QR and MH ? RR I pressume ? :rofl:

MH using the PW variant - also got it's inherent problems.

Jetstar is using the GE right?

Sign in to follow this