MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Ahmad Sharilamin

MAS A330-300 written off in 2000?

I found this in Air Accident database...interesting, didnt know this before...

Date: 15 MAR 2000

Time: ca 23:40

Type: Airbus A.330-322

Operator: Malaysia Airlines

C/n / msn: 068

First flight: 1995

Engines: 2 Pratt & Whitney PW4168

Crew: Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 14

Passengers: Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 252

Total: Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 266

Airplane damage: Written off

Location: Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KUL) (Malaysia) show on map

Phase: Standing

Nature: International Scheduled Passenger

Departure airport: Beijing-Capital Airport (PEK/ZBAA), China

Destination airport: Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KUL/WMKK), Malaysia

Flightnumber: 085

Narrative:

After arrival from a flight from Beijing, baggage handlers were unloading 80 canisters weighing 2,000kg when they were hit by the strong toxic fumes. A check by airport fire and rescue personnel revealed the canisters contained a chemical called "hydroxy quino-line" which is used for rust-proofing. Several canisters had leaked, causing severe damage to the aircraft fuselage. The aircraft was considered damaged beyond repair.

I also read somewhere one of the first MAS A330 that was about to be delivered by Airbus, had a hot brakes that started a fire causing some damage and the plane had 2 be repaired ....

... MAS A330s has some pretty interesting history!!...

I believe that wheels/brakes fire actually occurred in Changi? And had something to do with the automatic use of the cargo doors??? I remember reading something about it in Mark Wagners A330/A340 book.... it could be factually wrong, but yeah...

The A330s haven't been good to MAS, but this is where the Airline should have taken the opportunity to changeover to the A333X which is a far better variant of the A330 - and the one that is popular among airlines today! MAS A330s are simply first-gen bug riddled technology that is a pain in the @r$3 to maintain given the non-commonality with the remainder of the Boeing fleet and general "Airbus pilot-friendly, non-engineer-friendly" reputation doesn't help.

Other publicised incidents I can recall with MAS A330-300 fleet:

1. Faulty Oil Pressure/Temperature gauge - led to diversion to Exmouth in NW Aust, en route KUL-PER

2. Cut wires in avionics bay - possible rat intrusion at KLIA

3. Hydraulic fluid splashed in cockpit - !!!??!?!?!?!!

4. Hydraulic failure - KCH-KUL --flight returned to KCH--

5. Off-runway incident - KCH-KUL --nosewheel bogged in mud at RWY 25 turning pad--

6. Off runway incident - BLR-KUL --nosewheel bogged in mud at Bangalore airport--

7. IFSD - BKI --compressor surge/stall in engine

I think that is pretty much it. Not bad for +11 years of service..

IIRC, the first A330 was in Malaysia in 1994 at SZB? I remember landing on a flight from PER and disembarking at the cargo apron and seeing 9M-MKA sitting pretty on the deck! Was a very excited 12yo!

IIRC, the first A330 was in Malaysia in 1994 at SZB? I remember landing on a flight from PER and disembarking at the cargo apron and seeing 9M-MKA sitting pretty on the deck! Was a very excited 12yo!

Yeah I saw it around the same time too in SZB in 1994-95 (then still called KUL). 9M-MKA and another A330 bird was sitting in the hangar.

Did Airbus ever offer the opportunity to MAS to convert their existing first gen A333 to A333X?

Was MAS one of the joint launch customers for the -300?..i remember reading somewhere..i think thai and MAS were the first 2 receive them???...any clarification...

I guess first customers would always take the risk of a bug riddle airplane...

Have flown MAS and Emirates A330s only....anyone flown A340s ?..since the 2 have a generally similar wing and fuselage cross section, curious on how different is flying in an A330 and A340 (besides extra engines)...i hear A340s are quiet...would love 2 have a chance 2 fly in them...

MAS and THAI Intl were the first carriers to receive the A330 powered by PW4184s. The aircraft were actually delivered at a delay to MAS and THAI due to flight-testng problems. The airlines were subsequently awarded compensation for the delay.

Wrt Airbus offering MAS the A333X, Yes, I think it was on the cards around the time MAS signed an MoU for up to 15 777-200X - MAS was supposed to be the launch customer for the 200LR - but subsequent delays in the programme by Boeing (around 1998) and the financial problems at MAS and the crisis in Asia never saw this deal bear any fruit.

Now, we see MAS is at the trailing end of aircraft orders and fleet modernisation, yet still claims to be flying one of the youngest fleets in the region - I suppose they are right when compared to Garuda, Merpati, Phuket air.. and in some instances TG - but TG has been modernising their fleet despite financial uncertainties - riding the risk and seeing what happens - as oppose to MH which was in such a bad state in terms of creditor rating due to the actions of a certain Tan Sri and subsequent financial losses borne by the company.

Bring back the golden years of the early 90s I say!

Here some more info i found on incident from some people in the net...

"Some kind of powdered dangerous goods improperly packed which subsequently spilled in the belly. Loaded in Beijing if my memory serves me. $80m worth of damage, shipper hauled up by the chinese govt.

The chemical was HYDROXIL QUINOLINE. It was improperly packed and wrongfully declared by the agent in China. Shipment was for India. Spillage was in the fwd cargo area, which damaged the area and contents badly. Also affected were the engines cos when the cargo doors were open, the engines were windmilling and sucked in the fumes. The fumes damaged the engines and ductings including those of the aircond system. Damaged too expensive to repair and damage due corrosion difficult to ascertain. Best thing to do, write it off and make insurance claim.

The aircraft was a write-off and MAS was compensated for about US$90 million early this year."

Have flown MAS and Emirates A330s only....anyone flown A340s ?..since the 2 have a generally similar wing and fuselage cross section, curious on how different is flying in an A330 and A340 (besides extra engines)...i hear A340s are quiet...would love 2 have a chance 2 fly in them...

I have flown both A332, A333 and A343 this year and I honestly could not tell the difference between the two inside the cabin. Yes the A340 seems to be a little more quiet than the Boeing 767, 744, 772 and 77W. I will be flying the A343 again in November, pray that the seats of LA A343 is not as cramp as CX A343.

MAS and THAI Intl were the first carriers to receive the A330 powered by PW4184s.

A newly built 333 (for TG i believe) crashed during take-off or landing (i couldn't remember & too lazy to check :D ). Or was it the 343 that crash ? It either was one ...

and in some instances TG - but TG has been modernising their fleet despite financial uncertainties -

TG is in better shape compared to MAS. They have been profitable in the last few years.

Looks like MKB was the first A330 in active service 2 be written off (besides the crash of the Airbus prototype)...wonder what happened to MKB?? Was it cannibalized and scrapped?

That is exactly what happened. It was dismantled in front of the hangar at KLIA.The hull was scrapped but I bet all salvageable items were salvaged. BTW MAS did receive insurance compensation for MKB.

A newly built 333 (for TG i believe) crashed during take-off or landing (i couldn't remember & too lazy to check biggrin.gif ). Or was it the 343 that crash ? It either was one ...

That was the A333 actually, it was crashed during one of the test flights. Thats what delayed the delivery of A333 to MAS and Thai Airways. MAS had to lease MD-11s from World Airways to cover for the delay.

Details of hull loss of A330 from Wikipedia

(As of 2005)

* Hull-loss Accidents: 1 with a total of 7 fatalities

o On 30 June 1994, an A330 on a test flight crashed shortly after take-off from Toulouse, killing all onboard

* Other occurrences: 3 with a total of 0 fatalities

o On 24 July 2001, 2 SriLankan Airlines A330-243s were destroyed on the ground by Tamil Tiger guerillas at Colombo's Bandaranaike International Airport, Sri Lanka, along with an Airbus A320-200, an Airbus A340-300 and a squadron of military aircraft. Another two planes, an A320 and an A340 were also damaged but have since been repaired.[3]

o On 24 August 2001, Air Transat, Flight 236, an A330-243, performed the world's longest recorded glide with a jet airliner after suffering fuel exhaustion over the Atlantic Ocean. Human error and lack of automated computer checks stopped the crew from realizing the cause of fuel imbalance was leakage via a broken fuel pipe caused by poor maintenance. The plane flew powerless for half an hour and covered 65 nautical miles (120 km) to an emergency landing in the Azores (Portugal). No one was hurt, but the aircraft suffered some structural damage and blown tires. The airplane, registration C-GITS, is still flown by Air Transat today.

o On 18 July 2003, B-HYA, a Dragonair A330-342 encountered severe turbulence associated with Tropical Depression Koni over the South China Sea, during the flight KA060 from Kota Kinabalu to Hong Kong. 12 crew members and 3 passengers were injured, of which 2 crew members sustained serious injuries, but there were no fatalities. The aircraft landed safely at Hong Kong International Airport. Hong Kong Civil Aviation Department B-HYA Accident Investigation report

* Hijackings: 2 with a total of 1 fatality.

Check out the Dragonair A330 incident!

Edited by S V Choong

To me...A330s record is far behind B777....I still remember vividly one of the A330s was crashed in the air show...how embarass.....is it? So far, B777 record is still excellent :drinks:

....I still remember vividly one of the A330s was crashed in the air show.....

Which air show ?! :blink:

BTW, anyone else has the feeling that the replacement door they fitted unto the A333 which suffered damage recently as result of airbridge collapse at KLIA, was a cannibalized bit from 9M-MKB ?

The "airshow" crash you are thinking of is an A320 that happend shortly after it's development - It was conducting a low pass over the airfield and a fault in the fly-by-wire logic prevented the crew from executing a GA. The aircraft subsequently crashed into a pine forest at the end of the runway.

The A330 was due to an A/P software glitch which, following certain other events, caused the a/c to roll laterally after A/P wsa engaged in a steep clb from the airfield - at the same time a simulated engine failure was conducted - the A/C was too low, bank to much, attitude to high, not enough time for chief pilot to react - A/C crashed and all aboard perished.

The "airshow" crash you are thinking of is an A320 that happend shortly after it's development - It was conducting a low pass over the airfield and a fault in the fly-by-wire logic prevented the crew from executing a GA. The aircraft subsequently crashed into a pine forest at the end of the runway.

Yes. It was the AF 320 (A320-100) that crashed during its debut. Not the 333. The 330 got a pretty reliable safety record.

Guest Fendy

wasnt this sabotage?

That is exactly what happened. It was dismantled in front of the hangar at KLIA.The hull was scrapped but I bet all salvageable items were salvaged. BTW MAS did receive insurance compensation for MKB.

It must have been a sad sighting, huh?

Edited by Teoh Z Yao

Check out the Dragonair A330 incident!

Yes. It was reported in Sin Chew daily as well with pictures (taken by passengers). Trays on the floor ... flight attendants on the floor ...

Another KA incident in BKI is about the door on their A321-200. The crew only noticed the 1L door wasn't lock after the plane took off. The plane landed safely in BKI ... This was in 2000.

o On 18 July 2003, B-HYA, a Dragonair A330-342 encountered severe turbulence associated with Tropical Depression Koni over the South China Sea, during the flight KA060 from Kota Kinabalu to Hong Kong. 12 crew members and 3 passengers were injured, of which 2 crew members sustained serious injuries, but there were no fatalities. The aircraft landed safely at Hong Kong International Airport. Hong Kong Civil Aviation Department B-HYA Accident Investigation report

Few yeas back,i heard that an airbus 330, took of the airport(BKI) and forced to returned back TO D AIRPORT. Destination was MANILA. Heard that it was caused by d explosion(the explode, maybe not that serious) on (dunno which engine).Rego=dunno ALso,i'm weird,(MH)A330 serving kota kinabalu-manila kah?

i think is negative. suppose to be 734. :pardon:

btw, few days back, i got a funny dream. :lol: i dream that i saw a Dragon 321 flying very low, around 1300 feets only over the coaster, which all the door is open, and is actually hanged by another Dragon 330. just like a tow car towing another car like that. after few minutes, both of the aircraft crashed into the sea, without much ppl notice it. :rofl: hope it will not happen, because these are too idiots. :rolleyes:

Few yeas back,i heard that an airbus 330, took of the airport(BKI) and forced to returned back TO D AIRPORT. Destination was MANILA. Heard that it was caused by d explosion(the explode, maybe not that serious) on (dunno which engine).Rego=dunno ALso,i'm weird,(MH)A330 serving kota kinabalu-manila kah?

Yes. It was in year 2004 (or 2003, i couldn't remember). Destination was indeed MNL. There were 3x weekly flight between BKI/MNL (the routing is KUL-BKI-MNL-BKI-KUL). It was cut down to twice daily in 2004.

KUL-BKI-MNL

A/C : 333

Every Tuesdays

MNL-BKI-KUL

A/C : 333

Every Fridays

A few months before that, a 772 (to KUL, from NRT) had to returned back to the airport also because one of the engines exploded.

Load on the 333 (MH702, BKI-MNL)

230+ pax

(no injuries reported)

Load on the 772 (MH81, BKI-KUL)

50+ pax

(no injuries reported)

By the way, UFO was sighted near Terminal 2 (Air Asia Terminal) in that year too (on the runway).

Edited by Isaac

I believe that wheels/brakes fire actually occurred in Changi? And had something to do with the automatic use of the cargo doors??? I remember reading something about it in Mark Wagners A330/A340 book.... it could be factually wrong, but yeah...

The A330s haven't been good to MAS, but this is where the Airline should have taken the opportunity to changeover to the A333X which is a far better variant of the A330 - and the one that is popular among airlines today! MAS A330s are simply first-gen bug riddled technology that is a pain in the @r$3 to maintain given the non-commonality with the remainder of the Boeing fleet and general "Airbus pilot-friendly, non-engineer-friendly" reputation doesn't help.

Other publicised incidents I can recall with MAS A330-300 fleet:

1. Faulty Oil Pressure/Temperature gauge - led to diversion to Exmouth in NW Aust, en route KUL-PER

3. Hydraulic fluid splashed in cockpit - !!!??!?!?!?!!

4. Hydraulic failure - KCH-KUL --flight returned to KCH--

5. Off-runway incident - KCH-KUL --nosewheel bogged in mud at RWY 25 turning pad--

6. Off runway incident - BLR-KUL --nosewheel bogged in mud at Bangalore airport--

7. IFSD - BKI --compressor surge/stall in engine

I think that is pretty much it. Not bad for +11 years of service..

Actually, the first A330 arrived in 1995 and flew in March or April if I'm not mistaken and the first one was 9M-MKC.

Sign in to follow this