MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Weisuan

Culling The Flying Kangaroo?

Came across this news report in ninemsn news that Qantas could cull its iconic flying kangaroo. I wonder what Qantas would come up with. The flying platypus? Or perhaps the flying wombat? Are there any Qantas fans amongst MWingers?

Here's the report:

Flying kangaroo in the sights

Friday Jul 20 06:00 AEST

By ninemsn staff

The famous flying kangaroo that has graced Qantas since World War II could be culled.

The company last night confirmed rumours that it was updating its image, which may include the revamping or even the elimination of one of Australia's iconic logos.

"We are always looking to ensure our product and image remain contemporary and relevant," a Qantas spokesman told the Daily Telegraph.

"I can't say anything more at this stage."

The news comes as the Qantas board met this week for the first time since the failed $11 billion private equity bid to take over the airline in May.

It was reported the company was considering setting up a separate body to own its fleet of more than 200 planes, as well finding new board members after its chairman Margaret Jackson announced plans to step down.

The kangaroo first appeared on Qantas aircraft in 1944 and was said to be derived from the design on the Australian penny.

Wings were added to the logo a few years later and remained there until 1984, when the current design was introduced.

Industry bulletin boards were abuzz with speculation about possible changes, although the prevailing sentiment was that Qantas would keep their famous ensign in some form.

News of the proposed change has drawn attention around the world, including stories in Canada's Globe and Mail and Reuters India."

How could they do that to poor Skippy :angry: :help: :huh:

Aha! A Qantas fan or just a fan of Wunala Dreaming and Nalanji Dreaming? I think Qantas should retain Skippy. Can't imagine anything else on the tail. If they are bored with the current flying kangroo and are hankering for a change, perhaps a flying kangaroo done in aboriginal painting style, similar to the one used by Australian Airlines, would represent Australia quite nicely.

The white Skippy in red backgnd on the tail is just perfectly nice. Love the leg (and the red backgnd) that extended way beneath the horizontal stabilizers. easily recognisable even 36000ft away on clear sky... i cant find myself imagining other that skippy sitting (or striding) on the rudder. maybe they have a better one... who knows... we wait n see... hate this waiting game..

Qantas fan here (excluding certain elements).

Reaction, from someone who normally doesn't even give a hoot about livery: NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! :angry: :angry:

Edited by Keith T

The white Skippy in red backgnd on the tail is just perfectly nice. Love the leg (and the red backgnd) that extended way beneath the horizontal stabilizers. easily recognisable even 36000ft away on clear sky... i cant find myself imagining other that skippy sitting (or striding) on the rudder. maybe they have a better one... who knows... we wait n see... hate this waiting game..

The Australian Airlines' skippy looks good and more Australian. Perhaps they can replace the skippy with the koalas and wombats ;) LOL

The price of progressing years I suppose, first the British Speedbird, then JAL's crane - now Skippy is in danger. I wonder how long Lufthansa's crane will hold out ?!

The Australian Airlines' skippy looks good and more Australian. Perhaps they can replace the skippy with the koalas and wombats ;) LOL

Koala sounds good... he he he he

Instead of focusing whether it's time for the Kangaroo to go, i hope they would seriously consider changing their corporate livery (even JQ livery is much nicer than QF's). A revised kangaroo logo will do.

Edited by Isaac

The price of progressing years I suppose, first the British Speedbird, then JAL's crane - now Skippy is in danger. I wonder how long Lufthansa's crane will hold out ?!

The mass culling of birds!!! :blink: :blink: WWF pls take action :help: eheheeee..

I have to say that the kangaroo does need a bit of a facelift. Bring back the flying kangaroo of the 70's!

Rest assured, their logo will remain a kangaroo, so you won't be seeing platypus's or emu's any time soon...maybe they can make each engine a different beer label...i remember the failed start-up backpackers express a few years ago wanted VB cans for engines cowls...very very aussie!

...i remember the failed start-up backpackers express a few years ago wanted VB cans for engines cowls...very very aussie!

Which one? Compass?

Anyway I can bet Skippy will stay, or there will be a very loud outcry from the Aussies.

Radzi, Backpackers Express...they wanted to run basically a service from Au to UK for backpackers, etc but basically serve party food on board and beer. Unfortunately, they never got airborne.

Edited by Liam Gibb

XXXX hahahaha I'm sure! But there would have been some fuss from VB who would have been prominently advertised on the engines as Liam has said!!

QANTAS should amend it's callsign to "Skippy" or "Ocker" or maybe here's one the Americans will like: "Crikey!"

...maybe here's one the Americans will like: "Crikey!"
Or Stingray...oh sorry that was low. Just wait a while as their callsign will be Jetstar :angry:

hehehe maybe the kangaroo will now have a little orange star under its arm instead of a Rugby ball (on occassion) - or heck - they should put that boxing kangaroo on the tail! Better yet, the kangaroo should be carrying a briefcase with a "$" sign on it, and the "Spirit of Australia" should be replaced with "Spirit of the ASX" -- the last one would have been far more appropriate had the "privatisation" and delisting of Qantas as part of APA's agreement carried through.

hehehe maybe the kangaroo will now have a little orange star under its arm

With the progressive hollowing out of the QF brand with that evil orange star, I fear the Roo might soon be eliminated on all but one or two trunk routes like LHR and LAX.

Old one looks much nicer; very 'strange' Kangaroo legs on the new one :blink:

half past nine... looks like they rushed it...

old logo more classy and elegant... new one looks... primary schoolish............

Just been thinking... maybe it's their contribution to the drive against obesity in Australia...:p

Sign in to follow this