MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
BC Tam

Oh no !

Something from thestar online :

MAS: Don’t open Asean skies early

Singapore stands to gain more than Malaysia

By B.K. SIDHU

PETALING JAYA: Malaysia Airlines (MAS) does not want the Government to bring forward the timeframe for the Asean Open Skies for fear that Singapore will benefit more than Malaysia.

However, MAS' budget airline Firefly is keen to fly to Singapore and Indonesia.

Sorry state of mentality in this age of globalisation - but the it could just be me ?!

Btw, I thought Firefly doesn't want to be tagged as "budget" ?!

The airline has no interest in the fare paying public. Just skim off whatever amount of money as it possibly can from the people just for the sake of the airline.

Be damned with those in tourism industries and what can be gained for the many communities spread all over the country from tourism... from the hospitality industry, to cottage industries selling souvenirs and whatever bits that could support their families.

Even with the current protectionism, Singapore has, and will continue to gain market share of the air travel market from Malaysia anyway.

Open sky or not I think Singapore remains the preferred port of call for most major airlines.

I think Idris feels he needs time at least till the current date of Open Skies implementation to shape MAS into a stronger competitor. Its not a sorry state of mentality, just a matter of one man knowing that his plans are already set for a certain time line and he wants to concentrate on that.

I think Idris feels he needs time at least till the current date of Open Skies implementation to shape MAS into a stronger competitor. Its not a sorry state of mentality, just a matter of one man knowing that his plans are already set for a certain time line and he wants to concentrate on that.

Yes, agreed Datuk IJ has his BTP to keep to and I believe there has been commendable progress thus far. However, all successful business models should also allow for adjustments when necessary - it would be naive to assume that all trading conditions (and legislations) remain static for the duration of one's stated plan. Either that or to assume that one has been able to correctly incorporate all possible variations over the period of time into the model - ie perfection ! Not quite possible, particularly in the airline business where external (foreign) factors are very much beyond one's control.

But really, the "sorry state of mentality" refers more towards :

(1) our obsession to constantly compare ourselves with Singapore

(2) our compulsion to deny others' opportunity for progress just cause we've got some catching up to do

Just some observations - no malice whatsoever intended !

Sign in to follow this