MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Mushrif A

MH explains delays: several AOGs

July 14, 2007 18:49 PM

MAS Explains And Apologises For Recent Flight Delays

KUALA LUMPUR, July 14 (Bernama) -- Malaysia Airlines has explained that the national carrier experienced several flight disruptions recently due to a combination of factors including technical issues, bad weather and the introduction of the passenger services system.

MAS Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer, Datuk Idris Jala apologised to customers "for the discomfort they experienced arising from these situations."

He said this in a swift response to queries by Bernama over increasing complaints by passengers of delays.

In terms of technical issues, he said there were two significant engineering related instances this week -- one involving a Boeing B777 grounded in Frankfurt on July 9 due to an engine damaged by an apron baggage loader.

The engine was subsequently rectified and the aircraft is now back in operation.

Another was an Airbus A330-300 now grounded indefinitely in KL International Airport (KLIA) since Thursday, July 19, after one of its cabin doors was structurally damaged when an airport aerobridge fell to the ground, he said.

In addition, one Boeing B737-400 was grounded in Kota Kinabalu airport on July 12 awaiting special parts for its cockpit window while another Boeing B737-400 is currently undergoing a comprehensive rectification of its flight control system in KLIA.

Idris said that bad weather also caused several flight disruptions where among the notable ones were the Kuala Lumpur/Melbourne flight on July 10 that was diverted to Adelaide and a Kuala Lumpur/Penang flight of the same day diverted to Langkawi.

Idris said: "Every one of these situations invariably caused a shortage of operational aircraft, which necessitated the reshuffling and retiming of some of our normal schedules.

"In some instances, one or two +high frequency+ flights were cancelled but we compensated by deploying a larger aircraft that could accommodate the combined passenger load," he said.

"Apart from our services to some domestic stations, our flights between KLIA and stations such as Penang, Bangkok, Jakarta and Singapore were impacted by such ad-hoc retimings," he said.

"Where possible, we notified passengers in advance of these retimings and flight rescheduling, whilst we also worked with the airport operators for such updates to be featured in the flight arrival/ departure information display boards.

These were complemented by appropriate service recovery measures at the various airports to minimize passenger inconvenience," Idris said.

The technical issues and bad weather were compounded by the introduction of a new passenger services system in line with the mandatory IATA requirement for e-ticketing.

"Like any other new system, we are going through some teething issues as not all our employees are familiar with the new check-in system. In some cases, this may result in passengers being checked in slower than usual," he said.

-- BERNAMA

First time I've seen such a message come from the CEO himself, and not the media/communications manager, nor a simple press release by the company! This is a good show of accountability. Some may call it "wayang", but I honestly think, it's superb PR skills.

Kudos Dato' Idris.

Say what he want; whatever he said was true regarding the AOGs, weather et al.

However there are other things he can't say, and that is his own doing.

with above statement also includes the following

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Sat...icle/index_html

WE are aware that there are employee concerns over the Performance Management System (PMS).

"We are taking immediate steps to address the concerns. Yesterday, Friday, 13 July, we met with the senior members from all Unions and Associations, and will immediately set up a Special Task Force on Performance Management, led by executive director and chief financial officer, Tengku Datuk Azmil Zahruddin.

All the Unions and Associations, and management will be represented in this Special Task Force.

The task force will meet next Tuesday and its first and immediate task will be to arrive at a workable solution to address the current concerns around the Employee Share Option Scheme (ESOS) and PMS that have been voiced by employees.

There was a mention in TV3's news night before about MASEU's unhappiness with the top management on PMS and ESOS. I feel that there is an aire of unhapiness among MAS employees currently against the top brass.

Edited by Rozhan

There was a mention in TV3's news night before about MASEU's unhappiness with the top management on PMS and ESOS. I feel that there is an aire of unhapiness among MAS employees currently against the top brass.

In any organization, there are unhappy bunch of staff. In most GLCs or maybe all GLCs, the difficult part is when you have to please the politicians more than your staff. The politics in MAS amongst the employees are already alarming, what more if there are interferences from outside.

First time I've seen such a message come from the CEO himself, and not the media/communications manager, nor a simple press release by the company! This is a good show of accountability. Kudos Dato' Idris.

Agree here; it's quite a step to publicize this :blink: :good:

Say what he want; whatever he said was true regarding the AOGs, weather et al.

However there are other things he can't say, and that is his own doing.

Wouldn't like to be in his position, pleasing both the staff and politicians; at least he 'turned around' the company financially and should be heralded for that :drinks:

I feel that there is an aire of unhapiness among MAS employees currently against the top brass.

There's always revolt when lot's of employees have to be furloughed; same happened a few years back to KLM...no more overhead now there, and the company is even hiring again at present; undoubtedly, this will happen also at MH when things have turned around for the better :pardon:

Agree here; it's quite a step to publicize this :blink: :good:

Wouldn't like to be in his position, pleasing both the staff and politicians; at least he 'turned around' the company financially and should be heralded for that :drinks:

There's always revolt when lot's of employees have to be furloughed; same happened a few years back to KLM...no more overhead now there, and the company is even hiring again at present; undoubtedly, this will happen also at MH when things have turned around for the better :pardon:

He turn around the company. With help of the staff, of course. :rolleyes:

He feel the staff should be awarded. :clapping:

And so he gave share option and bonus..... :clapping: :drinks: :clapping: ....................... to 10% of the staff. :pardon:

So now let those good 10% of the staff do their work.

And so he gave share option and bonus..... :clapping: :drinks: :clapping: ....................... to 10% of the staff. :pardon:

So now let those good 10% of the staff do their work.

Thanks for enlightening me, captain; this, indeed, is unfair and should have been made available to all MH staff :o

Everyone in MAS has contributed their own part to the success, right ? :sorry:

I met a friend today, who is with flight operations. He was really upset and angry with current state of affairs at the moment. His facial expression when he talked about it clearly showed that.

Amongst other things, he said the 10% thing Capt Radzi mentioned, and how many staff worked long, hard hours... missing quality time with family, and collectively helped to turn around MAS when it was in the pits recently. In the end, only a selected few got 'recognized' for their effort.

Even 'busuk-busuk' Tan Sri TR when he was with MAS, he gave everyone something like RM500, whether he / she was earning a fat salary, or at the lowest pay scales in the company.

Certainly staff are now demoralized due to favouritsm. He thinks the least that the company can do now as a short term measure is to award bonus to everyone who has not been given yet. And then the company should relook at its reward system and resolve issues that upset many people.

It is also interesting what Capt Norhisham said about 'interference'. I'm sure there are many parties out there with vested interest in MAS.

I'm not sure, but perhaps the current situation almost caused me to miss getting the July issue 'Going Places' magazine which was not loaded on the aircraft I flew on recently :unknw: .

Edited by Rozhan

...he gave everyone something like RM500, whether he / she was earning a fat salary, or at the lowest pay scales in the company.

...the least that the company can do now as a short term measure is to award bonus to everyone who has not been given yet.

Exactly: one same (amount) 'reward' to everyone, whether low- or high-paid !!! :good:

Exactly: one same (amount) 'reward' to everyone, whether low- or high-paid !!! :good:

So far, I have not taken any leave or MC. In fact I was called twice during my off days to fly. I did not bargain to be taken off on any other duty.

Other pilots extend their duty period. A staff told me he received letter of appreciation for his loyal service to the company.

The best thing, non of us get anything.

This clearly tells us no point working extra hard because no one appreciate what we're trying to do. :pardon:

2 sen je.

So he followed the "continental" recipe, but forgot to add the salt and sugar eh?? leaving quite a sour taste it would seem..

For Continental in the US, the biggest incentive he gave to ALL staff was the bonus they received, whether it be big or small... oh well...

It is well know in Malaysian culture that in every organization there are bound to be some "LEPAK KAKI", I am sure that MH also have MANY of them. Work Less, CURI TULANG, talk big, take long tea brake, very hours go for smoke, late for work, sick leave, etc. Why should this people benefit from the hard work off others?

It is only fair for those who work hard and sincerely get better returns for their employers.

Having said so, it does not make any sense that only 10% of MH employees are productive.

It is well know in Malaysian culture that in every organization there are bound to be some "LEPAK KAKI", I am sure that MH also have MANY of them. Work Less, CURI TULANG, talk big, take long tea brake, very hours go for smoke, late for work, sick leave, etc. Why should this people benefit from the hard work off others?

It is only fair for those who work hard and sincerely get better returns for their employers.

Having said so, it does not make any sense that only 10% of MH employees are productive.

The problem is the kaki Bodek got the bonus.....

Guess, MH still has fleet-problems: MH016 STA 0635 ETA 1425; MH017 STD 1200 ETD 1615 :blink: :o :angry:

Aircraft 9M-MPB (Hibby :) )

(Actual times were: ATA 1410/ATD 1623; still a full load, though, as no rebooking possibilities)

Today's (18jul) flight is even worse: ETA 0120/ETD 0300 on 19jul07, meaning more than 13 hours delayed :o :nea:

Wonder what 'they' do with all those connections to Australia/New-Zealand, as, no doubt, no more connection available after arrival into KUL: good business for Pacific hotel at KLIA ;) :blink:

The Star

Thursday July 19, 2007

Passengers fed up with excuses

By DEVID RAJAH

SEPANG: Air passengers are getting thoroughly fed up with the excuses given by airline officials on the flight delays at the KL International Airport since last week.

A group of government officers who have been travelling back and forth between KLIA and Alor Star said they were getting sick and tired of the delays that they have faced.

“It’s annoying and troublesome when flight delays happen,” Tina Ooi, 42, a government officer travelling with five colleagues to Alor Star, said after the Malaysia Airlines flight was delayed for about an hour yesterday.

Ooi said airline officials they approached had claimed the delays were due to poor weather conditions and technical glitches.

“We cannot get to work on time and it is a hassle to reschedule our ground travel arrangements each time there is a delay,” said Ooi.

A teacher from Kuwait, Saleh Al-Shamali, who was travelling to Penang with 26 family members, said delays such as the one they experienced yesterday were bad for tourism.

A check by The Star revealed that at least five domestic flights – to Penang (two flights), Kuantan, Alor Star and Kuala Terengganu – and seven international flights – to Amsterdam, Bangkok, Doha, Cebu, Jakarta, Dhaka and Jeddah – were delayed as at 4pm yesterday.

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?f...&sec=nation

I'm fed up with passengers, of trains, buses , airplanes and what have you.

Let's switch to cargo transportation 100%, LOL. :lol:

Seriously, I think delays and overcrowding are far worse in the US than what we have here. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

Seriously, I think delays and overcrowding are far worse in the US than what we have here. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

Most delays in the States are related to weather, heavy traffics (like during peak hours). Sometimes a plane has to wait for like 30 minutes before their turn to take-off.

Most delays in the States are related to weather, heavy traffics (like during peak hours). Sometimes a plane has to wait for like 30 minutes before their turn to take-off.

That sounds like KLIA during heavy traffic with single runway ops. I came across a guy onboard who complained for flight delay because they have connecting flt which is supposedly takeoff about 40 minutes after actual arrival of our flt. 40 minutes buffer?? somemore its different airline. Guess what, our flt were delayed for 40 minutes. buffer gone.

I dont know what happen here..it seems like MAS staff are unhappy with the management, bad days for MAS huh? It's time for MAS to review the fleet now...especially the B737400S? I wonder when they will announce the fleet renewal for the B737? :rolleyes:

I have never been to the States but I guess on this side of the Atlantic the London airports (especially Heathrow!) are just as bad. I flew BA three times in the past 12 months and ALL the flights were delayed between 1 - 2.5hrs. Looks like this is becoming the norm and people here are getting used to it :(

I dont know what happen here..it seems like MAS staff are unhappy with the management, bad days for MAS huh? It's time for MAS to review the fleet now...especially the B737400S? I wonder when they will announce the fleet renewal for the B737? :rolleyes:

a320 will replace them all...

yet another yell for the most well known slogan in malaysia: "malaysia boleh"

Whinner, whinner, whinner :pardon: An hour delay, what's big? Yes in States it's worse, sometime flights delay for days, happen to me during winter after heavy snow storm, I even camping at the airport, no food voucher, definitely on your own, at least MH give out food coupon etc. Talk about an hour delay, oh please, MH delayed me more than 7 hours before, I shud be on the news :diablo:

Most are weather related, but I believe traffic jam is the main cause of most everyday delays. The longest que I had was around 45 minutes. Of course when other flight delayed, the other flight can't get the gate, result that they have to wait for the gate. This one the longest I had was an hour on board MH at LAX, waiting for AA772 pull out <_>

Edited by Seth K

Over 90% of MAS’ stalwart staff, i.e., those who have 10, 15, 20 and 25 years of service, have been bypassed by the PMS. They have not been paid bonuses this year and they have been completely cut off from the recent ESOS or Employee Share Option Scheme.

The entire population of MAS’ over 200 operating pilots, the most important part of the MAS family, were not offered the ESOS at all, including pilots with 20 years of flying service with MAS. Only two pilots who are now in management positions were given the ESOS.

Over 90% of middle managers, assistant general managers and even general managers with over 15 years experience with MAS were not given the ESOS either.

Now let’s see who got the ESOS.

i. Senior General Managers who were hired just two years ago have been given the ESOS as well as special bonuses.

ii. Non-employees have also been given the ESOS.

iii. Almost all the personal drivers of the Senior GM’s have been given the ESOS.

v. Union bosses, especially one particular boss of the MAS Employees Union have been given special bonuses as well as the ESOS.

MAS employees also despair the fact that the whole ESOS was done in secrecy. There was absolutely no transparency. The staff do not know on what basis did a RM38,000 per month Senior GM with just two years in the company get his ESOS while a senior pilot with over 25 years experience flying Boeing 747s did not get anything – no ESOS or Special Bonus?

http://malaysia-today.net/blog2006/reports.php?itemid=6610

Posted for debate :drinks:

Sign in to follow this