MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Naim

Nuri Copter With Six On Board Goes Missing On Flight To Kuantan

July 16, 2007 12:04 PM

Search For Missing Nuri Enters Fourth Day

GENTING HIGHLANDS, July 16 (Bernama) -- Fine weather is expected to facilitate ground and aerial search for a Royal Malaysian Air Force (RMAF) helicopter with six crew on board which went missing here on Friday.

The search and rescue (SAR) mission, which entered its fourth day Monday, comprises 924 personnel with the search area having been expanded to include the hilly terrain here and in Ulu Yam, Selangor.

The search for the Nuri helicopter, a Sikorsky S-61 which disappeared during a flight from the RMAF base in Sungai Besi to Kuantan, is the biggest seen in the country in the last few years involving various authorities and more than 15 helicopters and planes.

A "Sea Hawk" helicopter of the US navy and a helicopter belonging to the Sultan of Pahang Sultan Ahmad Shah have also joined in the search.

The regular SAR teams comprise members of the crack VAT 69 police commando unit, the special air unit Paskau, the army's special operations force, civil defence personnel and the Senoi Praaq comprising agile Orang Asli who can move swiftly in the jungle as well as local residents.

For the past three days, the aerial search was hampered by poor visibility due to thick fog, heavy rain and strong winds.

The ground team members also encountered difficulties in negotiating their way through the dense forest and hilly terrain.

The satellite system apparently could not be used to trace the missing Nuri as the aircraft did not emit any signals.

It is learnt that the number of SAR ground team would be increased if there is no positive development by noon. Fifty soldiers from Penang are waiting for the green light to join in the search.

The missing crew are said to be able to last between six and eight days subsisting on food foraged from the forest.

They are pilot Kapt Nor Azlan Termuzi, co-pilot Kapt Nor Intan Asykeen Mohd Arof, air quartermaster Sgt Khusnizam Ariffin, Sgt Azmie Md Yassin, senior airman Saifulizam Alias and airman Muhammad Ridzuan Ahmad.

In thick jungle, it's as if searching "your" needle in a bucket full of needles... huh?

Well, if it managed to land safely, these guys are comrades and are trained to survive in jungle. Less worry for them provided they landed safely...

Maybe the chopper and crew are being held hidden by the bunians.

From stories I heard, if you are held by bunians, you normally came out from jungle well fed but with little or no memories. hmm...

The chopper itself camouflage in the jungle...hopefully they carry personal GPS like most VFR pilot does nowadays.

the bunians are no more in the jungle laa...they are all at Putrjaya enjoying hidden wealth.

the bunians are no more in the jungle laa...they are all at Putrjaya enjoying hidden wealth.

:clapping: :rolleyes: :blink: :good: :nea: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

HAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Kata sana tu bukan bunian daa...itu adik beradik Ali...

Edited by H Azmal

From stories I heard, if you are held by bunians, you normally came out from jungle well fed but with little or no memories. hmm...

I hope they do .. as long they are safe ..

Quote of the day! :clapping: :lol:

still no news yet anywhere..not much updates oso..it must be difficult for the families involved..

Nation

Monday July 16, 2007

Some survivors from missing copter spotted

GENTING HIGHLANDS Rescuers have spotted some survivors from the missing Nuri helicopter, RMAF sources said. However, there is no official confirmation.

The RMAF helicopter carrying six people went missing at 9.35am on Friday, about 10 minutes after taking off from the Sungai Besi airbase on the way to the Gambang base in Pahang.

The crew are pilot Kapt Nor Azlan Termuzi, co-pilot Kapt Nor Intan Asykeen Mohd Arof, air quartermaster Sgt Khusnizam Ariffin, Sgt Azmie Md Yassin, senior airman Saifulizam Alias and airman Muhammad Ridzuan Ahmad.

Was at TUDM earlier....saw a big convoy of choppers my flying instructor was saying they were all choppers from US but dunno which base that came to help.....

July 17, 2007 01:13 AM

Stench In Tana Rimba Nothing To Do With Missing Nuri - Police

GENTING HIGHLANDS, July 17 (Bernama) -- Police Monday night refuted speculation that a stench engulfing Tana Rimba in Janda Baik here had anything to do with the missing of a Royal Malaysian Air Force Nuri helicopter.

Bentong OCPD DSP Mohd Fakri Che Sulaiman said: "After listening to feedback on the smell from several witnesses, we despatched a police and Rela team to the area at about 7pm and it is true that the place is covered by a strong stench.

"But as at 10pm, we failed to detect any signs to support the claim that the helicopter crashed there," he told reporters when met in Tana Rimba.

He said that police also suspended the search operation at 10pm in that particular area due to darkness besides the terrain being too steep and with a lot of bamboo trees.

"We will continue the operation Tuesday morning," he said.

Mohd Fakri also refuted a news portal report that the search and rescue team had spotted several victims alive.

The missing Nuri helicopter, a Sikorsky S-61, was piloted by Capt Nor Azlan Termuzi with Capt Nor Intan Asykeen Mohd Arof as the co-pilot.

The other crew are air quartermaster Sgt Khusnizam Ariffin, Sgt Mohd Azmie Md Yassin, senior airman Saifulizam Alias and airman Muhammad Ridzuan Ahmad.

The aircraft lost contact with the control tower at 9.35 am on Friday, 10 minutes after taking off from the RMAF base in Sungai Besi for Kuantan.

-- BERNAMA

The title of the article is misleading as all the police had said was that it "failed to detect any signs to support the claim". It does not mean that the stench has nothing to do with it as the police was merely unable to link the two (becos of lack of other evidence etc), but doesn't mean that the two are not factually connected.

July 17, 2007 01:13 AM

Stench In Tana Rimba Nothing To Do With Missing Nuri - Police

GENTING HIGHLANDS, July 17 (Bernama) -- Police Monday night refuted speculation that a stench engulfing Tana Rimba in Janda Baik here had anything to do with the missing of a Royal Malaysian Air Force Nuri helicopter.

Bentong OCPD DSP Mohd Fakri Che Sulaiman said: "After listening to feedback on the smell from several witnesses, we despatched a police and Rela team to the area at about 7pm and it is true that the place is covered by a strong stench.

"But as at 10pm, we failed to detect any signs to support the claim that the helicopter crashed there," he told reporters when met in Tana Rimba.

He said that police also suspended the search operation at 10pm in that particular area due to darkness besides the terrain being too steep and with a lot of bamboo trees.

"We will continue the operation Tuesday morning," he said.

Mohd Fakri also refuted a news portal report that the search and rescue team had spotted several victims alive.

The missing Nuri helicopter, a Sikorsky S-61, was piloted by Capt Nor Azlan Termuzi with Capt Nor Intan Asykeen Mohd Arof as the co-pilot.

The other crew are air quartermaster Sgt Khusnizam Ariffin, Sgt Mohd Azmie Md Yassin, senior airman Saifulizam Alias and airman Muhammad Ridzuan Ahmad.

The aircraft lost contact with the control tower at 9.35 am on Friday, 10 minutes after taking off from the RMAF base in Sungai Besi for Kuantan.

-- BERNAMA

Condolences to the families.. a sad day indeed.

Nation

Tuesday July 17, 2007

Nuri wreckage found, no survivors

GENTING HIGHLANDS: All six on board the RMAF Nuri helicoper which was reported missing last Friday are confirmed dead, according to search-and-rescue teams which found the wreckage on Tuesday.

RMAF's public relations officer Mejar Zulkiflee Abdul Latiff said rescue teams found the helicopter at about 1.24pm. He said preparations were underway to retrieve and airlift the bodies to KL Hospital.

The Royal Malaysian Air Force helicopter went missing at 9.35am on July 13, about 10 minutes after taking off from the Sungai Besi airbase on the way to the Gambang base in Pahang.

Those on board were pilot Kapt Nor Azlan Termuzi, co-pilot Kapt Nor Intan Asykeen Mohd Arof, air quartermaster Sgt Khusnizam Ariffin, Sgt Azmie Md Yassin, senior airman Saifulizam Alias and airman Muhammad Ridzuan Ahmad.

Deepest condolences. i had actually hoped they would be found alive, knowing well the agony of uncertainty.

I realise this may not be in good taste to post, but apparently the aging Sikorskys are earning the ire of the Canadian Navy as well (they are known as Sea Kings), so much so they actually wrote this song. Apt to be sung here too I think:

Sea Kings in the Sun

(Sung to the tune of Seasons in the Sun)

Goodbye papa please pray for me

My helicopter's crashing in the sea

I honestly don't mean to pout,

but my future is in doubt,

My co-pilot just fell out.

Goodbye papa it's hard to fly,

When my airframe’s cracking in the sky,

For every hour in the air,

it takes them 30 to repair,

We fly these things on a dare.

We've had joy, we've had fun,

We've had Sea Kings in the sun,

But the engines are on fire,

and the Sea Kings must retire,

Goodbye Chrétien my stingy one,

You could have bought the EH-101,

Instead you blew 500 mil,

Just to cancel out the bill,

Now I need an airsick pill.

We've had joy, we've had fun,

We've had Sea Kings in the sun

We'll be lucky if we reach,

a crash landing on the beach.

Edited by H Azmal

May God bless their soul and forgave their sins.

And the sins of those adamant that the Nuris are safe to fly, and refuse to upgrade them but instead keep on getting more private and executive jets for their own use.

I recall it took a few generals to die before the Caribou were permanantly retired.

Wonder what it takes to retire these 'flying coffins' forever. Maybe a crash during a very public event like the Merdeka parade?

Edited by Rozhan

Al-Fatihah ~

I believe the crash site is on the slope of Gunung Bunga Buah. According to my reckoning the mountain's peak is somewhere here. It's close to the checkpoint when taking the uphill road to Genting from Karak Expressway.

gbungabuahsu1.png

+++