MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Jessnor Arif

Spain Wants MAS To Revive KL-Madrid Direct Flight

More people try to influence MH decision. Now Travel Agencies from Spain

Spain Wants MAS To Revive KL-Madrid Direct Flight

Bernama

• Travel agencies in Spain want Malaysia Airlines (MAS) to revive its direct flight between Kuala Lumpur and Madrid to make it easier for Spanish tourists to visit Malaysia, said Tourism Minister Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan Mansor.

• "They want MAS to restore the KL-Madrid direct flight, but I told them that we have to look at the yield and load factor. Although MAS no longer fly to Spain, they have a code-sharing arrangement with KLM. [Actually with Alitalia , my dear Minister.. but a good response since no directive order for MH to resumes KUL-MAD]

• MAS stopped its KL-Madrid flight last year as part of its restructuring exercise to restore the company's financial position. At present, tourists from Spain coming to Malaysia have to transit in major cities like Paris, Rome, Munich, Zurich and London which take longer hours, besides sometimes face the problem of limited seats.

• Tengku Adnan said Tourism Malaysia was collaborating with other airlines like Singapore Airlines (SIA), which has direct flights between Singapore and Barcelona, the second largest city in Spain, to make it easier for tourists from Spain to come to Malaysia.

• In another development, he said the Spanish Federation of Journalists and Writers of Tourism would hold its annual conference in Malaysia between Sept 23 and 30.

One thing that comes to mind - why not lobby Iberia or Spanair to do it? Should be easier for the Spanish TAs to lobby Spanish carriers ? :huh:

• MAS stopped its KL-Madrid flight last year as part of its restructuring exercise to restore the company's financial position.

I am sure the KUL-MAD direct was dropped about a decade ago...

I am sure the KUL-MAD direct was dropped about a decade ago...

Yes, I believe it was dropped around about that time. When I travelled to MAD in April/May 2005, I took KLM via AMS. It was the best and cheapest option then.

Sign in to follow this