MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Cassava

Airasia X: Altering the Industry's Landscape

hopefully this picture not a fake one. :rofl:

It probably is a fake one. Look at the engines, it's GE. Air Asia X ordered Rolls-Royce engines for their 333. Unless they are leasing some in which i am not aware of.

Edited by Isaac

Fake or not, here is the A330-300 msn 054.

From Airfleets.net:

Serial number 054

Type 330-301

First flight date 24/02/1994

Test registration F-WWKJ

02/05/1994 Aer Lingus EI-SHN lsd ILFC - ret 28/06/02 as N54AN

27/04/2004 Air Algerie F-OMSA lsd from AWAS - ret to lessor 27/08/05

28/09/2005 Air Madrid EC-JMF Suspended operations 16/12/06 - Stored at BCN - To SN Brussels - reg N54AN

Fake or not, here is the A330-300 msn 054.

From Airfleets.net:

Serial number 054

Type 330-301

First flight date 24/02/1994

Test registration F-WWKJ

02/05/1994 Aer Lingus EI-SHN lsd ILFC - ret 28/06/02 as N54AN

27/04/2004 Air Algerie F-OMSA lsd from AWAS - ret to lessor 27/08/05

28/09/2005 Air Madrid EC-JMF Suspended operations 16/12/06 - Stored at BCN - To SN Brussels - reg N54AN

pardon my ignorance, any relation with the one shown by Ewan? :sorry:

A320, may we know your real name?

the airasia colour scheme looks surprisingly beautiful on the A330.

check out the winglet... there's an X there. cool.

wait, somethings weird. the engines are at reverse thrust.

Edited by Wai Hung

It probably is a fake one. Look at the engines, it's GE. Air Asia X ordered Rolls-Royce engines for their 333. Unless they are leasing some in which i am not aware of.

Yes, they are leasing some before the RR powered ones are delivered brand new. They can't wait to start services, especially now that Jet Star will start services to KUL soon. I read that AirAsia X will start one day earlier, just like Petronas started selling unleaded fuel one day earlier, followed by Shell, some time ago. Malaysia must be first, in everything it does.

nice.... :good: the other day our Ewan Brother post the pix as well, but is from another angle which under another thread. anyway, seems like the aircraft is ready to use soon. :) can't wait to shot it.

brilliant... this brings a whole new definition to low cost flying.

I agree with you on this,Wai Hung :drinks:

If i'm not mistaken,This Aircraft will be named Sir Freddie Laker.Am I right?

Blardy X on the winglet so damn ugly..... <_ so rego is ehh kekekke>

Blardy X on the winglet so damn ugly..... <_< So rego is 9M-XAA ehh kekekke

One mans meat is another mans poison.The A330 does look astonishingly stunning.Airbus way to go.

400 odd seats with maggi mee in the menu. hmmmmm.........

i guess i snap the photos only lah....

400 odd seats with maggi mee in the menu. hmmmmm.........

i guess i snap the photos only lah....

Goodness 400 seat on board a A330s? I guess it will not be a good memory to leave behind if you ever go on board this plane for a long distance flight. Can someone please snap the maggie mee when u fly on board the Airasiax?

To be precise,its 396 total pax,and its divided into 2 compartments,one for premium econ (kinda of pseudo bussiness class) and the other normal econ.Assigned seating and some sort of basic snack served as complimentary.If you want a better meal you can purchase onboard as well as IFE.In fact there are some european airlines who have configured theire A330 for 440 pax which is the max certified pax loading by Airbus for the A330.

AirAsia opts for unusual seating plan in A330s

By Nicholas Ionides

Malaysian low-cost carrier AirAsia's planned long-haul sister airline is eyeing a 396-seat configuration for its Airbus A330-300s, with a nine-abreast layout rather than the typical eight.

Tony Fernandes, group chief executive of publicly traded short-haul carrier AirAsia and a major shareholder of the privately held long-haul budget carrier, says the configuration under consideration will make it one of the highest-seat-capacity operators of the A330-300.

According to Airbus, MyTravel is thought to have the highest-density A330-300 configuration at present, with 408 seats in a nine-abreast, three-three-three layout. Airbus markets the A330-300 as having a typical two-class layout that seats 335 passengers.

The former Air Inter is thought to have had the highest-density-configuration ever for A330-300s in the mid 1990s, with 412 seats.

A330s are typically configured in an eight-abreast, two-four-two layout in economy class but Fernandes says AirAsia will be one of the few operators with three-three-three seating in its 'X', or economy, class. MyTravel and Monarch Airlines are others that already have three-three-three A330 layouts.

"We have been working with a seat manufacturer for the best part of a year on the configuration and our nine-abreast will be more comfortable than many others with the eight," says Fernandes.

AirAsia's long-haul sister carrier is due to launch operations late in September or early in October, initially with services to the Gold Coast in Australia and Hangzhou in China.

It will start with a single leased A330-300 from AWAS that was originally operated by Aer Lingus.

Fernandes says this aircraft will seat 315 passengers but the interior will be reconfigured in around seven months when it goes in for a heavy maintenance C-check. He hopes a second aircraft will have been sourced by then, before the first of 15 firm-ordered Rolls-Royce Trent 700-powered A330-300s arrives in August 2008.

Those aircraft will be in the high-density configuration seating nearly 400 passengers. Fernandes says the firm configuration has not been decided upon yet but around 396 seats is what is currently being looked at, including 28 in "XL" class, which will be similar to a premium economy class.

The new airline will use the AirAsia name under a licensing arrangement. It will be 60%-owned by Fernandes and several of his business associates, 20%-owned by Virgin Group and 20%-owned by AirAsia.

It plans to serve London in later stages and rights have already been secured for operations to Stansted airport, says Fernandes. Those flights will be operated via the Middle East, such as Bahrain or Dubai and Sharjah in the UAE.

Other destinations being looked at include Melbourne Avalon in Australia, additional cities in China and Amritsar in India.

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2007/...n-in-a330s.html

Oh dear oh dear, nine seats abreast! Most charter airlines in the UK already have similar seating arrangement too (3-3-3 for A330, 2-4-2 for B767), even British Airways 777's to the Carribean are configured in 3-4-3. I just hope that they will provide a slightly more generous seat pitch or adopt a more innovation design such as arranging the seats diagonally (instead of one straight line) to improve shoulder room. ;)

even British Airways 777's to the Carribean are configured in 3-4-3.

Were configured this way actually. This BA 3-4-3 configuration was very short-lived. BA changed the 772 Carribean configuration back to 3-3-3 after many complaints ... (the seat configuration was changed to J-42, Y-291. 50" pitch craddle seats in Club World)

Squezzing in 10 seats per row on 777 will still be wider than 3-3-3 on 330. The aisle on 777 (10 abreast) will be narrower than all Airbus/Boeing planes in all standard configuration but the seats will be exactly the same as the Y seats on 737, 747, 757 which is 17" wide.

Edited by Isaac

life is short. enjoy the comfort as much as u can!

gold coast? sorry mate. i shall fly a triple.

tony, next time buy triple laaaa. engine big oooh!!! aircraft syiok ooh!! turbulence no shake shake one......... :pardon:

hmmmmmmm how many FA's on boarD?

30Pax = 1FA(i think) so .. u do the math :) :help:

30Pax = 1FA(i think) so .. u do the math :) :help:

got crew rest area or not? if doesn't have, gone laaaa yean!!