MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Seng Lim

MAS ordered 10 ATR72-500

i have a question here.might sound a little bit too stupid but it takes a little while to absorb what i will say.

These aircraft that is purchased is done via MAS itself or its parent company PMB which is done in the leasing manner like the A380?

as far as am i concern the aircraft F50 for the firefly company is actually being purchased from PMB by MAS for the use of firefly?

here it says

"We have those three additional aircraft sitting there, basically doing nothing, until MAS set up Firefly. We asked (PMB) whether we could purchase those aircraft." quoted by D.Idris Jala

"We have purchased two of the aircraft (for Firefly), and there's still one sitting there with PMB today," he said.

Here again i would like to state what is said in the press release by ATR

"The aircraft are intended for the expansion of Firefly - subsidiary airline 100 % owned by MAS "

sound like MAS is slowly getting on their feet again after having all their aircrafts being sold to PMB last time when they were in trouble.

=)

It feels funny because MAS has been running into cash strapped situation for a while and they are able to purchase new aircraft right now.

Are they the second airline around to come back from having debts of millions or billions after AIRASIA?

Edited by FK Wong

The ATRs are bought by MH, not PMB. Idris did say that MH should now own planes, as probably leasing rates have gone up.

The sale to PMB was merely to address a liquidity-debt crunch. PMB was created to solve MH's problem, not to get into the real business of aircraft leasing, like say, SALE or ALAFCO (the Kuwaiti firm that owns MH's newest two 772s), or ILFC.

I reckon FY will operate the ATRs on KCH-SBW like Radzi said, as well as BKI-LBU/Sandakan, Tawau, MYY-LBU. FY will also elegantly "kacau" AK by having point-to-point routes in the peninsula from SZB. It is only a matter of time before the authorities grant more rights to other airports from SZB. I'm sure lots of Klang Valley folks will prefer to fly out of SZB than LCCT at KLIA.

Adrian, I am glad that MAS is not purchasing the Dash 8. Having riding both of types in NZ and I think they are not as good as the ATR 72s.

Agree there, S V, see also my response # 11 :pardon:

The Sabah and Sarawak network has remain unchanged for over 30 years. ATR is F50 replacement just like F50 to F27.

If ERJ or CRJ is chosen, may transform the network. Then again, if FAX can’t touch the network, why rock the boat? Mas management is not paid to think outside the box.

Just my 2 cents

:drinks:

The Sabah and Sarawak network has remain unchanged for over 30 years. ATR is F50 replacement just like F50 to F27.

If ERJ or CRJ is chosen, may transform the network. Then again, if FAX can’t touch the network, why rock the boat? Mas management is not paid to think outside the box.

Just my 2 cents

:drinks:

I think you are basing your opinion on "what looks good", and not based on today's reality of fuel prices and operating economics.

It will be a busy period ahead for the ATR72 :o

Jet Airways Orders 13 ATR 72-500 Aircraft

June 20, 2007

ATR, a joint venture of EADS and Italian group Finmeccanica, announced an order for 13 ATR 72-500s to be operated by Jet Airways.

An agreement for six of the planes has been reached with Irish-based leasing company Aircraft International Renting, a unit of TAT Leasing, ATR said at the Paris air show on Wednesday.

Jet Airways has concluded purchase agreements for the remaining seven planes and plans to conclude lease agreements for these aircraft too.

The total value of the contracts is about USD$238 million, ATR said.

(Reuters)