MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Naim

MAS Offers Low Fares In Three-month Campaign

Hmm nothing from europe...

Suppose MH should offer "Citizen ticket" so that Malaysian all over the world can come back for Merdeka Celebration :p

Hmm nothing from europe...

Suppose MH should offer "Citizen ticket" so that Malaysian all over the world can come back for Merdeka Celebration :p

That's an excellent and reasonable idea.

Episode 2 of the campaign starts tomorrow.

June 21, 2007 20:55 PM

Malaysia Airlines Offers Fares Discount At Travel Mart

KUALA LUMPUR, June 21 (Bernama) -- Malaysia Airlines (MAS) is offering up to 70 percent discount off its travel fares and attractively priced Golden Holiday packages for both domestic and international travel at the three-day Malaysian International Travel Mart (MITM) starting tomorrow.

The national carrier said these deals are its second promotion after the "50-hour Open House" online sales which will end tomorrow.

The deals are also part of the airline's three-month long "Let's Fly Malaysia" Merdeka campaign to reward customers for their support, MAS said in a statement Thursday.

"We are making travelling more affordable with these amazingly low fares and packages. There is no better time to fly Malaysia Airlines than now," said the airline's commercial director Datuk Rashid Khan.

According to him, the airline has attractive packages on offer during the three-day MITM at the Putra World Trade Centre and the travel period will extend until Dec 10, 2007.

On offer are individual fares to destinations in Asean, the Orient, North Asia, the Indian sub-continent, Australia, New Zealand and Europe.

Return airfares start from RM89 to Medan, RM659 to Hong Kong, RM859 to Taipei, RM1,709 to Sydney, and RM2,129 to Paris.

The offers for those travelling in group of six start from RM79 to Medan, RM559 to Hong Kong and RM1,829 to European destinations like Paris, Rome, Zurich and Amsterdam.

For its Golden Holiday "Santai" packages to domestic destinations, the fares start from RM430 for three days and two nights stay in Penang while for international travel, the Golden Holiday "Escapade" package offers four days and three nights stay in Medan from RM477.

The airline said all promotional airfares are for return trip economy class travel during off-peak periods and do not include airport taxes, fuel surcharge and other applicable surcharge.

-- BERNAMA

but MAS website still down since yesterday! :angry: :angry: ...

"Due to overwhelming response, our server is currently busy. Please try again later."

ye la tu... (yeah right...)

MAS should and must extend the online promo period longer instead up to 11am friday, as for compensation.

Edited by Yusoff

To fly you need no excuses. Just do it, find reason(s) later (my reason: need to research new contents for my website, heheheh!). Btw I'm waiting for MH promo to Xiamen or Yangon.

I always have a very valid reason whenever i need umm...financial assistance from the folks - mileage run. :D

This goes back to when Mum was promoted from BA Silver/ow sapphire to BA Gold/ow emerald. I remember her going... what difference will it make?

Then 6 months later.... "Keith, whatever mileage runs you're doing I'm doing them with you - there's NO WAY I'm giving up BA Gold!" Pity for the past year or so she's had to go it alone at times (when Dad can't be persuaded that a 10 hour turnaround journey is a great idea) as I'd been flying Star Alliance. :p

My other 'excuses' are the need to have breakfast with friends in KUL, coffee with friends across the tasman, parties in - all true. :) Oh and I occasionally have a holiday too........

Edited by Keith T

but MAS website still down since yesterday! :angry: :angry: ...

"Due to overwhelming response, our server is currently busy. Please try again later."

ye la tu... (yeah right...)

MAS should and must extend the online promo period longer instead up to 11am friday, as for compensation.

I just booked a ticket on their site around 9.30am. Not the promo one though. No problem with the booking. What i noticed is whenever you clicked their url for the first time the busy message will always appear, funny is once you click the refresh button it will bring you directly to the malaysian site.

How to actually book this cheap tickets? i am lost in MAS website <_>

How to actually book this cheap tickets? i am lost in MAS website <_<

Hai yo......you're really lost in time. The 50hr sale is over, lah. The widely publicised sale ran from Wed to Fri.

Hee, hee, hee, went on a buying spree. Got my all in RM94 ticket to home town AOR during puasa month. Bought another for a colleague to BKI for RM170. Also a short holiday in LGK in sep fro RM376 for wify, me and 2 kids. No problems.

i did some comparison of this MH 'low price' tickets with other carriers (CX and SQ). seems like MH is just RM100-200 cheaper (e.g. KUL-NRT, ICN, HKG)... after added in the expensive MH fuel surcharge (its relatively cheaper surcharge in CX and SQ). moreover CX and SQ tickets are refundable (with some admin fee), where else MH is total non-refundable).

personally, i would travel on CX and SQ given the flexibility... someone please correct me if i missed out something here.

moreover CX and SQ tickets are refundable (with some admin fee), where else MH is total non-refundable).

That would depend on the kind of the fare you're booked into. IME only SQ Y bucket fares (and also B and H probably?) are fully refundable (less admin fee) under normal circumstances - and those fares are expensive. The fare rules will indicate whether a fare is refundable and the proportion of the refund. For example I'm booked in an M class fare for August which is only 50% refundable - which is where travel insurance comes in handy if I have to cancel my trip for whatever reason. Most of the cheapest SQ fares book into W or E where the refunds are even less forthcoming.

I would imagine that the situation would be similar with CX fares.

Don't know if they also refund the fuel fines and taxes though - I know LH and some of the oneworld carriers do, which is the right thing to do.

Edited by Keith T

That would depend on the kind of the fare you're booked into. IME only SQ Y bucket fares (and also B and H probably?) are fully refundable (less admin fee) under normal circumstances - and those fares are expensive. The fare rules will indicate whether a fare is refundable and the proportion of the refund. For example I'm booked in an M class fare for August which is only 50% refundable - which is where travel insurance comes in handy if I have to cancel my trip for whatever reason. Most of the cheapest SQ fares book into W or E where the refunds are even less forthcoming.

I would imagine that the situation would be similar with CX fares.

Don't know if they also refund the fuel fines and taxes though - I know LH and some of the oneworld carriers do, which is the right thing to do.

Planning a business trip to HKG on 3rd week July and best I got was:

MH - 855 - Non-refundable

SQ - 1,589 - Cant find T&C anywhere......

CX - 1,235 - Non-refundable on outbound and subject to RM200 for return journey

I got my fuel surcharge and taxes refunded for non-refundable fares from MH many times before.

So MH is still best.

If that's from singaporeair.com, you have to make a dummy booking all the way to the page where they get you to enter ur CC details. Short of actually entering ur CC details, there's a link to the complete fare rules at the bottom of the page.

The website has been wonky of late - it's been showing only Y or B fares when there are cheaper seats available on the plane. I've been able to get the extra admin charge waived when I called their Oz ticketing department and explained the situation.

Edited by Keith T

I got my fuel surcharge and taxes refunded for non-refundable fares from MH many times before.

So MH is still best.

Oops, add in the surcharge and taxes MH adds upto 1,099. Still OK at least I get halal food.

Oh and rumour has it that LH and LX will refund you taxes and fuel fines on throwaway ticketing, due to some recent court ruling. They might try to ding you for the actual cost of ur itinerary if they're nasty though, using what's contained in the COC.

Edited by Keith T

Oops, add in the surcharge and taxes MH adds upto 1,099. Still OK at least I get halal food.

Well with non-Muslim carriers like SQ & CX, you can always request for the special muslim halal meal.

Well with non-Muslim carriers like SQ & CX, you can always request for the special muslim halal meal.

And in some cases the special meals actually taste better than the regular ones - like kosher meals on BA flights exLON, they're supposedly prepared by a very nice restaurant.

Edited by Keith T

And in some cases the special meals actually taste better than the regular ones - like kosher meals on BA flights exLON, they're supposedly prepared by a very nice restaurant.

There is a natural tendency for many muslims to lean towards the party with whom they have more confidence. When there is an alternative they will not go with the party where doubts exist.

Cheers

There is a natural tendency for many muslims to lean towards the party with whom they have more confidence. When there is an alternative they will not go with the party where doubts exist.

Be careful on multi carrier RTW itineraries then, unless they all serve Halal food in the regular menu of course. The problem with RTWs arises when requests for special meals do not filter through to every single carrier, especially when one or more carriers are hosted on different reservation systems from the issuing carrier. You'd need to call every single one of them to make sure. A friend had to go hungry on his 38 hr mileage run because all 5 connecting carriers did not receive his request for his vegetarian meal - I think he got by with food from the terminal, but still - not a pleasant experience!

Edited by Keith T

The thing that we can learn from these promos is

MAS is a 5-star airline (depends on your evaluation) and they won't give out cheap tickets as frequent as Air Asia,BUT their delays are not as frequent as Air Asia. :p

Every airline has its pros and cons,and it's acceptable if U have delays here and there for Air Asia and people complains about high ticket price for MAS.It's competition that happens and is acceptable on a route that is catered by 2 airlines.

PS -----BUT,the thing that happens with FAX,where the planes are always delayed are not aceptable as they're the only carrier serving the rural routes.(bit off topic but I feel I need to make my point about FAX)

Interesting. I also tried, to a different destination of course. Belows are the results.

KUL>NYC (EWR/JFK)

"Round-trip"

4 Passengers

Y/C

Depart - 10/12/07

Return - 18/12/07 (17/12/07 or 19/12/07 on MAS)

MH - RM9244/person _ FFMiles - YES (100%)

EK - RM4959/person _ FFMiles - YES (100%)

SQ - RM4777/person _ FFMiles - YES (100%)

**All price quoted are inclusive of taxes/surcharges

MH - 1-stop (via ARN)

EK - 1-stop (via DXB) or 2-stop (via DXB & HAM)

SQ - 2-stop (via SIN & FRA)

For flights to EU, EK is always the cheapest.

Edited by Isaac

mohd, I know CX serve all halal food onboard on KUL/HKG flight. On the tray, I saw lots of Arabic words on food packet, even on the orange juice bottle.

Manage to get through after several try..

07.09.2007 BKI - KUL = RM10 (Ticket) + RM75 (Tax) = RM85.00

10.09.2007 KUL - BKI = RM10 (Ticket) + RM75 (Tax) = RM85.00

Total = RM170.00 :clapping: Cheap..cheap.....

Went to the MH open house and treated myself a great deal too.

First week of September BKI - KUL - BKI in conjunction with my birthday. (yes, it's just an excuse).

Third week of September BKI - KUL - KBR - KUL - BKI to buka puasa with my family. (a very strong excuse, right Naim?)

Spent less than RM450 for everything.

Thanks MH, it's been a long time.

Excellent deals, guys, especially considering I paid one-way KUL-BKI RYM119.99 on AK recently !!!

Interesting. I also tried, to a different destination of course. Belows are the results.

KUL>NYC (EWR/JFK)

"Round-trip"

4 Passengers

Y/C

Depart - 10/12/07

Return - 18/12/07 (17/12/07 or 19/12/07 on MAS)

MH - RM9244/person _ FFMiles - YES (100%)

EK - RM4959/person _ FFMiles - YES (100%)

SQ - RM4777/person _ FFMiles - YES (100%)

**All price quoted are inclusive of taxes/surcharges

MH - 1-stop (via ARN)

EK - 1-stop (via DXB) or 2-stop (via DXB & HAM)

SQ - 2-stop (via SIN & FRA)

For flights to EU, EK is always the cheapest.

Would definitely choose SQ, for this fare (and well-proven service); my recent EK flight was rather disappointing :(