MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Chan CS

Idris first Malaysian elected to IATA board

Idris first Malaysian elected to IATA board

VANCOUVER: Malaysia Airlines managing director Datuk Idris Jala has been elected to the International Air Transport Association’s (IATA) Board of Governors.

Idris is the first Malaysian elected to the IATA board in its 63-year history.

“My election shows that MAS is gaining recognition and respect for the work we are doing in turning around our airline,” said Jala, who will sit on the board until 2010.

He said this was an excellent opportunity for the airline to be involved in key decisions which would have an impact on the industry as a whole.

“I would like to pay tribute to all the Malaysia Airlines staff for their full and continued support to our business turnaround programme,” he said.

The board's new chairman, Fernando Pinto, who is also chief executive officer of Portuguese flag carrier TAP Portugal, welcomed Jala's election to the board.

“MAS, under Jala, has made great progress in turning around. We are delighted to have him with us and trust that his experience and invaluable insights will further strengthen the board,” he said.

IATA is a trade association representing some 250 member airlines which account for some 94% of the world’s air traffic.

Aseambankers Research transport analyst Khair Mirza said Idris' willingness to accept the nomination and election to a post that would stretch till 2010 indicated that he was willing to stay on past his contract which would end in 2008.

“It is also good for MAS as this shows that there will be continuity and also that IATA has confidence in Idris’s leadership,” he added.

Source: TheStar

Congratulation to Mr. Idris Jala for his regconition!! And we are proud as Malaysian!!

Hope this would help to boost MAS 'market value' as well as bringing MAS back to its former glory and beyond...

All hail Idris!!...

Malaysia, really, at times, BOLEH!

Congratulations Mr Jala.

Malaysia, really, at times, BOLEH!

Congratulations Mr Jala.

Corrections everyone. The Star clip said Datuk Idris Jala.

so it's Datuk ok, hmm..anything in return Datuk? hehe :rolleyes: :yahoo:

Edited by Azrin A

Sometimes all that amazing achievers like Mr. Jala needs to successfully pilot our pride and passion, Malaysia Airlines, higher up into glorious times is unending support from us and recognition of a good work done. More over, it is our believe in a person of such attributes that really inspires them to move on. Having spoken to Mr. Jala himself about these matters, I must say that our opinion and support towards what he does and towards MAS really fuels his efforts in MAS...congratulations Mr. Jala!

Guest Michael

This is fantastic I must say well done from Australia to Idris yes I think this should enhance the image of MAS to make it better.

Sign in to follow this