MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Robin

C class to LAX (Advice)

Hi, Need someone advice on this.

I and my wife will go to LAX in Dec on Business class. I would like to get someone advice on which airlines, services, reasonable.

Thanks a lot!

You didn;t mention ur routing so I'm assuming KUL-LAX.

Would also help greatly if you indicated ur budget, FFP affiliation etc.

You literally have a myriad of options going KUL-LAX. Here's my little breakdown and I hope you make some sense of it... somehow :p:

- SQ - 3 flights daily SIN-LAX. One via TPE (772ER, soon 4 times weekly 77W), one via NRT (744), and one non stop A345 service. Beware that the A345 and 77W services will attract a Q surcharge. The 77W features the new Business Class flat bed seats; the other flights have Spacebeds - the angled flat seats. No difference in service between the one stop and the non stop except that the A345 Spacebeds have a slightly greater pitch to account for the hours you'd be stuck in the aluminium tube. Service on SQ is fantastic IMO - you will get Book the Cook service (where you can pre order ur onboard meals from an onboard menu, with the Lobster Thermidor reigning the hearts of SQ BTC regulars), Charles Hiedsieck rare champagne, satay, and of course - the legendary SQ service. Meals are plated fresh in the galley and brought to you individually at ur own pace For more information like menus, wine lists etc, see here: http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20; some BTC pics here: http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=935

The only let down of SQ C is the lack of an amenity kit, with the exception of dental kits, shaving kits etc in the lavatory. You will OTOH get a nifty little blue bag containing eyeshades and slippers The current Silver Kris Lounge C in SIN is rather worn but there will be brand new lounges when T3 commences operations. Can't reveal too much now but let's just say you'd be very pleased if you get to experience the new T3 C lounge.

- TG - no idea about frequency but they do fly an A345 non stop BKK-LAX. And you can be sure this is one route TG will never do a tech swap on you, as they are notoriously capable of doing on other routes like when they screwed me over with a glorified Y seat for MEL-BKK last Dec despite a huge advertising campaign in MEL of their new 772ER angled flat seats, as the A345 is the only aircraft in their fleet capable of doing ULH non stop. The A345 features the Recaro-manufactured angled flat seats in C. Service on TG is a hit or miss and has been on a downward sprawl of late. Meals are preplated and the selection of beverages is rather limited. The printed menus do not come with a separate beverage list like SQ and CX. Cutbacks have meant the disappearance of the amenity kit, but it's since resurfaced on a few flights, albeit in a much leaner form. KUL-BKK, you'll get either a brand new 772 or an old-ish 333 - but it's such a short segment and will be over before you know it so doesn't matter if they do a tech swap on you KUL-BKK. I didn;t like my Suvarnabhumi transit experience - and the TG lounges there can get horribly overcrowded and stuffy during peak times as they function as lounges for all *A members serving BKK.

- MH - can't comment as I haven't flown them enough, but reviews of MH are generally positive. I've heard good things about the New Service Delivery with meals plated fresh in the galley. The same Recaro angled flat seats as TG in C. You will be served satay, but unless it's been recently reinstated - MH has done away with the cheese plate for its C meal service, which would be a big no no for me as I love cheese and port after meals. MH serves LAX daily via TPE. Will leave it to the others to tell you more about MH.

- CX - 3 flights a day HKG-LAX. I'd consider them in the same league as SQ on the whole - but I'd have to give it to SQ as the better airline when it comes to J. CX cut back on its meal service during the SARS crisis and it's never recovered since. Meals are pre-plated, and come rolling out on cheap looking casseroles. Portions are small and presentation is rather dull compared to SQ, and even MH. The beverage list is rather similar though. CX FAs are on par with the SQ FAs I'd say. Menus can be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=643080. You will get angled lie flat seats on the HKG-LAX segment, and regional business class seats on the KUL-HKG leg - which can be quite uncomfortable if they're the New Regional Business Class seating. Long haul seating wise - I think you'd still get the existing angled flat seats which are comfy enough. The new 74A config is due to appear on North American routes later this year - but the herringbone design makes it undesirable for couples as you'd be totally separated from each other. As for lounges, you'd get access to the very nice Wing/Pier lounges at HKIA which are considered some of the best business class lounges in the region, if not the world, except maybe LHR VS CH of course. ;)

- JL - I believe they have one daily KUL-NRT which should connect you to one of the NRT-LAX services. JL's service varies wildly and is dependent on the route. You will therefore get rather mediocre service and dated hard product on the KUL-NRT leg like most of their regional routes, 767 with cradle seats and I also believe it's a 6 hr red eye yuch, but once you get on NRT-LAX it'd be like a cocktail party where you'd literally have to beg them to stop service. NRT-LAX should feature Recaro angled flat seats, identical to MH and TG. Excellent Japanese food too - but that's to be expected I guess. :) I believe they also have very competitive fares. Check whether you need a Japanese visa to transit in NRT though. The Sakura lounges in NRT aren't great but I hear a refurbishment is due to happen soon. Holding a oneworld J BP means you get access to other oneworld lounges - the CX lounges in NRT are supposed to be good, as is the AA Admirals Club believe it or not - and I believe QF is to build its own lounge there at some point.

- Various North American carriers via SIN and NRT or HKG - please save ur money and avoid, given the other options available.

If FFP affiliation is a concern - fret not, 2 of the 3 major airline alliances are represented at KUL - oneworld (CX, JL), *A (SQ, TG) and I've no idea if KE flies to KUL but if they do - then Skyteam exists for ur itinerary too.

There are many other options I'm not so familiar with, eg CI and BR but I'm sure someone will pop along and post about these soonish.

Unfortunately I do not have access to fares ex-KUL as many of the special fares are not published. You'd do well to speak to a good TA.

Hope that is of some help. Please let us know who you decide to go with eventually. :)

Edited by Keith T

Thanks Keith. Well, As I currently reside in Hanoi. I would fly from HAN - LAX in this December. Looks like you highly recommend SQ rather others.

Anyway, I am happy to see others comments :)

MH - C class, service is good. Meals plated at galley like Keith mentioned, satay is still there, with choice of chicken/beef. Uses 744, daily to LAX, stopover for 1.5hr at TPE. nothing much to do at TPE. KUL-LAX route on C can be full at times, especially on weekends.

Thanks Keith. Well, As I currently reside in Hanoi. I would fly from HAN - LAX in this December. Looks like you highly recommend SQ rather others.

Anyway, I am happy to see others comments :)

There are often good CX I class deals ex-Vietnam. CX is also an excellent airline - up there with SQ if they fixed up their J catering. I don't know how it works in Vietnam but if it's anything like BKK or SIN, the best deals are often offered only via TAs.

SQ is still nicer of course - but hey Id be happy on CX too if they had a cheap I class.

Edited by Keith T

I've no idea if KE flies to KUL but if they do - then Skyteam exists for ur itinerary too.

KE operates ex ICN to BKI, PEN and KUL, offering ST possibilities as well across the Pacific :pardon:

Via Europe there are one-stop flights via CDG (on AF) and AMS (on KL) :yahoo:

From what I understand :

KE operates ex ICN to ..... PEN .....
Not after June

KE operates ex ICN to BKI, .....
Not after October

Yes, :(

Guest Fendy

one thing to note on MH C class to LAX. during stopover at TPE there is nothing to do. absolutely nothing. no lounge for C class pax to use.

Unless the OP is also visiting the East Coast, going via Europe would considerably lengthen his journey.

one thing to note on MH C class to LAX. during stopover at TPE there is nothing to do. absolutely nothing. no lounge for C class pax to use.

Ouch.

Well, if flying SQ 77W via TPE - fret not, there's an SKL at TPE. Via NRT there's the NH lounge which is nice but rather austere on the food/beverage side.

If choosing based on lounge i'd recommend CX - it's hard to beat the Wing and the Pier at HKG.

Edited by Keith T

Unless the OP is also visiting the East Coast, going via Europe would considerably lengthen his journey.

Ouch.

Well, if flying SQ 77W via TPE - fret not, there's an SKL at TPE. Via NRT there's the NH lounge which is nice but rather austere on the food/beverage side.

If choosing based on lounge i'd recommend CX - it's hard to beat the Wing and the Pier at HKG.

Does SQ provide lounge for transit C Cls passenger at Taipei? I am interest to take 77W now :clapping:

Does SQ provide lounge for transit C Cls passenger at Taipei? I am interest to take 77W now :clapping:

Note that you need to pay a Q surcharge of US$300 per segment operated by the 77W if flying C. That's on top of the base fare.

Not sure about use of SKL in TPE as I haven't flown that sector b4 - you might want to try asking at www.sqtalk.com where I'm sure one of the SQ experts there will have the answer.

Edited by Keith T