MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Hon Kit

B777 vs A330

A330 has a slim, long body with narrower wings and sexy legs (landing gear). Eight toes (wheels) on her main legs make her walk gracefully before running to the skies. Her curvy stern provides an aerodynamic back, allowing her to gently touch and let go of the moving air as she flies. Being sexy and gentle, she always tend to look downwords after touchdown. Her cute small eyes (windshield) reflect that she always remain a pretty bird. :wub:

B777 has a bigger, well built & sturdy body with broad wings and strong legs. Twelve toes at his tall main legs make him walk straight and confidently before his engines roar for take off. His narrow and straight stern provides an effective handling with any air that tries to annoy him. Having such a pride in him, he stands straight horizontal, mighty with his three strong legs, even after touchdown. His large macho eyes (looks like he's wearing sunglasses) always keeps him alert of anything around him. B)

Sorry for that deep flowery language guys, but thats my method of remembering the "couples"! :lol:

Hi Yongkit7,

not to worry, if you continue to look hard at all those planes in front of you, you will in no time be an expert at recognising planes (even from afar). For a start, it is important to compare apples with apples and not be distracted by other elements within a photo. As such, I pulled out two extremely boring shots of the A330-300 and B777-200 - both are from Thai Airways International and sport its former livery. Some of the most easily identifiable parts of the two planes that differ have been circled in purple. Hope this helps you with future identification of these two planes.

MW-HS-TEG-01C-28May2005-ChiangmaiPa.jpg

The wingtip of the A330-300 has an upturned winglet.

The rear end of the fuselage ends in a tapered but cylindrical fashion.

The leading edge of the vertical tail fin is curvy where it meets the top of the fuselage.

The main undercarriage comprises four wheels per bundle.

MW-HS-TJF-01C-19Jul2003-oc-APS.jpg

The wingtip does not have an upturned winglet.

The rear end of the fuselage is flattened vertically and the APU exhaust is located on the port side.

The leading edge of the vertical tail fin is straight where it meets the top of the fuselage.

The main undercarriage comprises six wheels per bundle.

KC Sim

Interesting...i like how u differentiate the difference between the 2 models....for airline enthusiast...u can tell by the plane without any doubt for sure.... :drinks:

Look at the cockpit-windows and nosewheel-doors !!! :huh:

Flashing of the strobe lights

A bit more explanation might help. i dont go spotting at night though... :p

Thanks in advance...

A bit more explanation might help. i dont go spotting at night though... :p

Thanks in advance...

for Boeing's, the strobe will only spark for once everytime.

for Airbus's, the strobe will spark for twice (continuous) eveytime.

thats what i told by Adrian. :lol:

forgotted to mentioned that the strobe light is the "white-flash" (or someone named it as blink-blink) on the edge of each wings.

well in daytime you can see the strobe flash but just harder than night of course.

A332/333 will flash twice every 1 second while B777 will only flash once every 1 second.

the strobe flash can tell the difference but yet still can be misleading because, the 2 times strobe flash is not limited to just A330 series. A320, A340, A310 and A380 series do flash twice too. (dunno about A300 though) so have to take note of it.

Boeing family only flash once no doubt.

Anyone able to tell the difference between the two just listening to the takeoff and landing engine sound? (eyes closed or blindfolded) :p

Anyone able to tell the difference between the two just listening to the takeoff and landing engine sound? (eyes closed or blindfolded) :p

This could be hard but possible. Since A330 and B777 both type has variety engines by request, the engine sound is different.

Example - MAS 777 powered by RR engine which is a bit loud and has a slight whistling sound

- Like CO 777, it's powered by GE90, it's a bit silent compare to RR, and has a powerful continuous burst sound.

For A330, I'm not really familiar with their engine sound, I know that their RR powered A330 has engine sound with a rattling sound.

Anyone, who knows the 1st produced civil aircraft using the double 'flash' strobe lights ? :huh:

One can hear the difference between two engines noise but not aircraft type.

:drinks:

This could be hard but possible. Since A330 and B777 both type has variety engines by request, the engine sound is different.

Example - MAS 777 powered by RR engine which is a bit loud and has a slight whistling sound

- Like CO 777, it's powered by GE90, it's a bit silent compare to RR, and has a powerful continuous burst sound.

For A330, I'm not really familiar with their engine sound, I know that their RR powered A330 has engine sound with a rattling sound.

Being in PEN and the only visiting T7s are SIA's, i'd say that is a perfect description. :good:

I can tell even by sitting in the office and not looking. apart from the normal PEN-SIN schedule-lah.. ehehee... love the whistling sound

Can anyone differentiate the sound during approach? tricky eh? :p

Edited by Yusoff

The real question is, how do you diffrentiate between a Cessna 172 and a 747? :pardon:

(With your eyes closed)

I sat on SQ's 77W (777-312ER) the other day and when they start the GE engines of the 77W, it is so loud compared to MH and SQ's RR Trent. The noise subsided as it ran smoothly.

Edited by S V Choong

I sat on SQ's 77W (777-312ER) the other day

:o You've been on SQ most premium configured plane ? That is so cool man. How did you like the new revolutionary AVOD system on SQ 77W ? I must say i prefer their old seat fabric colours. The one they used on the 77W is so EK and it tends to get dirty very easily.

Yes Isaac, been on 9V-SWG a few days ago from HKG to SIN as SQ861. I really like the new AVOD and the seat fabric colour is quite cool. It has some really nice carpet too. Overall I prefer the new cabin to the old one. ;)

Edited by S V Choong

I sat on SQ's 77W (777-312ER) the other day and when they start the GE engines of the 77W, it is so loud compared to MH and SQ's RR Trent. The noise subsided as it ran smoothly.

Memangla, compare la those two engine types...they are very different kind of engines... :)

Memangla, compare la those two engine types...they are very different kind of engines... smile.gif

What I said is only the starting bit, but the engine became real quiet and tame after it ran smoothly.

Let me take a punt... Fokker?

Jess,

Nope, Fokker aircraft still do not use blink-blink on their wingtips :pardon:

It was the trusty DC-10 ;)