MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Hon Kit

B777 vs A330

As topic above, how do u differentiate between those 2 model.

I kept comparing both aircraft picture, i dont see any different between this 2 model.

Others will probably offer their piece (pieces even ?) of mind, but I will start off with these :

(1) Look at the wingtips. If they have the pointy bits jutting at almost perpendicular to the main wing, then it's an A330 (start another topic if you want to know A330-300 vs A330-200)

(2) Look at the main undercarriage (irrelevant if they are in retracted position) If they have 6 wheels per bogey, it's a B777 (start another topic if you want to know variations of the T7 series)

Someone else take over from here ?! :)

Others will probably offer their piece (pieces even ?) of mind, but I will start off with these :

(1) Look at the wingtips. If they have the pointy bits jutting at almost perpendicular to the main wing, then it's an A330 (start another topic if you want to know A330-300 vs A330-200)

(2) Look at the main undercarriage (irrelevant if they are in retracted position) If they have 6 wheels per bogey, it's a B777 (start another topic if you want to know variations of the T7 series)

another one more diffrence between 777 and 330, have a close look at the pilots side windshield, on the b777 three is only four edges, while on the a330 notice that the pilot side windshield has 5 edges . :rolleyes:

777 and 330, hard to compare? There's sumthing wrong with ur eyes there buddy........no offense :drinks:

Won't there usually be a label somewhere on the undercarriage near the front of the plane indicating what kind of plane it is?

That's how I usually tell the difference between 2 planes that look similar. :p

another one more diffrence between 777 and 330, have a close look at the pilots side windshield, on the b777 three is only four edges, while on the a330 notice that the pilot side windshield has 5 edges . :rolleyes:

oh yes! now i got it.. look at the wing , and windshield :good:

777 and 330, hard to compare? There's sumthing wrong with ur eyes there buddy........no offense :drinks:

wat a great spammer..

well, if i dont know , i got to ask. if i know , i wont ask.

if u dont know, and dont ask, there's sumthing wrong with ur brain there buddy.......... no offense. ;)

Won't there usually be a label somewhere on the undercarriage near the front of the plane indicating what kind of plane it is?

That's how I usually tell the difference between 2 planes that look similar. :p

yeah ! i knew that way. but sometimes, not all planes have the label there. so, im trying to know how to differentiate just looking at the body, not lable. :)

Wheels (3 sets on the 777), wingtips (winglets on the 330), and I also look at the butt. The 777 butt has something like a knife edge to it....

I wonder if the OP can differentiate between a Toyota Corolla and a Honda Civic (without looking at the brand & model labels)? Both have 4 wheels, same black tyres, windshields, lights....

One major problem is that, why is this under Logbook?

Now, no more... :pardon:

Try and go to Airliners.net and Jetphotos.net

Open up two web browser with one showing the pic of 777 and one showing the pic of A330. Try and figure out the differences.

I have had people in the past expressing that they have difficulty telling 767 and 777 or A340 and A330 apart. But your case is a pretty unique, dare I say.

Hi Yongkit7,

not to worry, if you continue to look hard at all those planes in front of you, you will in no time be an expert at recognising planes (even from afar). For a start, it is important to compare apples with apples and not be distracted by other elements within a photo. As such, I pulled out two extremely boring shots of the A330-300 and B777-200 - both are from Thai Airways International and sport its former livery. Some of the most easily identifiable parts of the two planes that differ have been circled in purple. Hope this helps you with future identification of these two planes.

MW-HS-TEG-01C-28May2005-ChiangmaiPa.jpg

The wingtip of the A330-300 has an upturned winglet.

The rear end of the fuselage ends in a tapered but cylindrical fashion.

The leading edge of the vertical tail fin is curvy where it meets the top of the fuselage.

The main undercarriage comprises four wheels per bundle.

MW-HS-TJF-01C-19Jul2003-oc-APS.jpg

The wingtip does not have an upturned winglet.

The rear end of the fuselage is flattened vertically and the APU exhaust is located on the port side.

The leading edge of the vertical tail fin is straight where it meets the top of the fuselage.

The main undercarriage comprises six wheels per bundle.

KC Sim

actually this is a good topic

I myself confused between A330 and 777 back in 1998 when i first visit KLIA.

these two aircraft has almost the same fuselage length (A330-300 and 777-200). The first time i try to compare these two aircraft is by looking at the winglet. but winglet can be confusing too since there are a few A330 fly with broke off winglet, like one of NWA A330 which the winglet was removed but it still can fly.

other option of comparing is just like Andy said, the windshield. Also the tail fin which A330 tail fin has the smooth edge but 777 has sharp edge. One more thing is the, I don't recall the name of the sharp pointy thingy under the flat, A330 has 4 of those under each wing but 777 only has 3.

The B777 also have a slightly bigger engines compared to the A330.

Even i had difficulties at the first time looking at it bro..but as you get to know the aircraft and as you keep looking at it, you will somehow know the difference with one look. It takes time and experience..

Not to promote, but to suggest.

getting some models could help a lot too. Models are scale down to smaller holdable size, but they are accurate to each other. It's one good way to use for comparing. Bigger scale has better detail, but in case of comparing between 777 and A330 smaller models like 400 scale already good enough.

Azuddin

Edited by Azuddin

The B777 also have a slightly bigger engines compared to the A330.

Even i had difficulties at the first time looking at it bro..but as you get to know the aircraft and as you keep looking at it, you will somehow know the difference with one look. It takes time and experience..

yes that is 101% true.

Mr seth K, well you should understand , in aviation, it is a very good practice to ask some one who knows the job or info,it is not a good practice to guess, as this could lead to serious disasters. i hope you understand, and pls dont get offended. :drinks:

The T7 (777) has raked wingtips and the A330 doesn't

Edited by Andrew Ong

Negative, not all 777s have raked wingtips. Only two variants of 777 have them, namely:

777-200LR

777-300ER

Edited by S V Choong

A330 is so sexy le .. :wub: .. hehe.

777, look at the nose, wings and engine .. and you'll notice the difference between the A330 ..

As topic above, how do u differentiate between those 2 model.

I kept comparing both aircraft picture, i dont see any different between this 2 model.

Of course they are different...

The other forumers must have given you some good tips to distinguish between the two. All the best! :)

Edited by Teoh Z Yao

Please do your homework before coming up with statements like these .

As a bright student he/she does not need to do his/her homework! :p