MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Imran K.

Information Alpha<->Zulu?

Hi guys...

I've got a question related to the ATC side of things...and it's best described with a couple of examples.

1) "Dubai Centre, Arabiyah 343, at FL 190, with X-ray"

2) "Dubai Ground, Emirates 343 at Tango Niner, Information Quebec"

3) "Saudia 7445, QNH 1009, Information Bravo"

I've tried long and hard to decipher the meaning and the usage of the "lettering" in these and other transmissions...but to no avail.

Could somebody help me out here? It's just one of those things that keep you up at night...especially while ur listening.. :blink:

Thanks in advance :drinks:

That information is from the ATIS

When you listen to ATIS

Towards the end they will say advise on initial contact you hv information Alpha - Zulu

Basically by saying that you're confirming that you have current METAR info

apart from what gavin had added..here's some in-depth of ATIS according to my radio-telephony manual

ATIS broadcast will include the following:

i. Message identification ie: "This is Melbourne Information Alpha" each message is consecutively coded using the phonetic alphabet.

ii. Time and origin of the weather report

iii. Weather Report

iv. Runway in use

v. Short term AIS information

vi. Any other routine information.

hopes this clears up more :)

Edited by Edwin Yii

this is kuala lumpur information ______ at time xxxx , departure runway 14r arrival runway 14l expect ils approach,surface wind xxx/x knots visibility more than 1 0 kilometers, expect slight haze ,clouds few 1700 charlie bravo direction _____,scattered 3000, temperature 32 dew point 25 , qnh 1010,all departing aircraft to contact approach 119.45, at first contact with lumpur, notify received information ______ .

ha ha ha.. runway ,visibility ,haze, and CB at 1700 is almost always there :)

Thanks for the information guys...

Btw...another question...

I was listening just now...and this was what I heard..

"Dubai Approach, Aseman seven four six niner descending to eight thousand, information Zulu"

then the next transmission on the same frequency was...

"Dubai Approach, Salam, Arabiyah Niner Niner Five out of Niner thousand, information Quebec"..

Im sure i didnt hear it wrongly...so why is it that these two aircrafts are using different "phonetic alphabets" even though the Atis is broadcasting "information X-ray"...

:blink: :blink: :blink:

Thanks for the information guys...

Btw...another question...

I was listening just now...and this was what I heard..

"Dubai Approach, Aseman seven four six niner descending to eight thousand, information Zulu"

then the next transmission on the same frequency was...

"Dubai Approach, Salam, Arabiyah Niner Niner Five out of Niner thousand, information Quebec"..

Im sure i didnt hear it wrongly...so why is it that these two aircrafts are using different "phonetic alphabets" even though the Atis is broadcasting "information X-ray"...

:blink: :blink: :blink:

Could they be heading to different airports, like SHJ, and still call DXB-APP first ? :pardon:

Ahh..i see what you mean Pieter.

Thanks alot everybody...i really appreciate it. :drinks:

Sign in to follow this