MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

Reduction in LCCT Passenger Service Charges

Aiyyaa! Booked so many trips already out of LCCT till Dec, but no refund lah! :angry:

+++

May 23, 2007 14:51 PM

Reduction in LCCT Passenger Service Charges

PUTRAJAYA, May 23 (Bernama) -- Airport tax for passengers at the Low Cost Carrier Terminals (LCCTs) at the KL International Airport and the Kota Kinabalu International Airport will be reduced from RM9 to RM6 for domestic passengers and from RM51 to RM25 for international passengers.

Transport Minister Datuk Seri Chan Kong Choy, in making the announcement Wednesday, said the reduction, for tickets purchased on or after June 1 2007, aimed to raise Malaysia's potentials as an operational hub for low cost carriers in Asia.

"The new Passenger Service Charge (airport tax) rate includes the Security Charge, and the same rate would be applied at new LCCTs that might be built in future.

"The lower airport tax for passengers is in line with the state of facilities and services provided at both the LCCTs," he said at a press conference at his office, here.

He said the airport tax and Security Charge at other airpports in the country were unchanged and continued to be collected separately, that is, RM9 (RM6 for airport tax and RM3 for Security Charge) for domestic passengers and RM51 (RM45 for airport tax and RM6 for Security Charge) for international passengers.

Anyway will send an email to AK shortly and see how's their respond on the refund (it's $26 X 5)....

This news isn't going to make a big hoo-hah among the pax. Just RM3, saved and give you a cup of milo or coffee onboard though.

This news isn't going to make a big hoo-hah among the pax. Just RM3, saved and give you a cup of milo or coffee onboard though.

It's a lot for me. Till Dec '07, I have AK trips to BKK, PDG, DPS and CNX. Total overpaid is RM26x19 = RM494. Plus local trips to TWU, LGK, PEN, KBR, BKI.

+++

Since the govt already give good pay rise to public servant, I hope they will give the green light on the refund for those who are flying from 1 June 2007 onwards (regardless the booking date). PR for pre-elections mar hehe..

They should refund. Some months ago there was something about this and the minister in charge said that (award winning) MAB should make it easy for the refunds to be made. The tax money is with them anyway.

But it is the SAME minister who said that KLIA Express' move to compel pax to buy ERL tickets before checking in at KL Sentral is improper and he "would look into it".

Months have passed but the check in counter is still barricaded with ropes with ERL personnel being the gatekeeper. So low class.

I think there's an error in the Bernama report. Say, if doing KUL-BKK with AK880 on 23/6, then outbound fare breakdown is:

Going Out Total 214.99 MYR, comprising:

1 Guest @ 109.99 109.99 MYR

Airport Tax 35.00 MYR

Administration Fee 19.00 MYR

Fuel Surcharge 51.00 MYR

Hence the Airport Tax is just RM35, and not RM51 as Bernama said.

+++

Therefore making it look as if the quantum is substantial, and the gov, via MAB, is being extra nice to the people.

But from what I watch from the TV news it's RM25 for international flight inclusive of security tax. Thus maybe it's AK mistake or the additional $10 is something else.

But from what I watch from the TV news it's RM25 for international flight inclusive of security tax. Thus maybe it's AK mistake or the additional $10 is something else.

I sense confusion here. The RM35 airport tax quoted above is for current booking, and that figure should be reduced to RM25 come June 1. The Bernama report says present LCCT international airport tax is RM51, which is wrong - it's RM35.

+++

I sense confusion here. The RM35 airport tax quoted above is for current booking, and that figure should be reduced to RM25 come June 1. The Bernama report says present LCCT international airport tax is RM51, which is wrong - it's RM35.

+++

But but but, if you look at domestic airport tax out of LCCT, the airport tax is already RM6 even before the announcement (Supposedly RM 9 reduced to RM 6). I am so confused. Is AirAsia using different rate or somthing?

Edited by Azri M.

After investigation, this is what I found out (international airport tax only):

All Malaysia International Airport (except LCCT) airport tax = RM51

LCCT Airport Tax prior to 23 May 2007 announcement = RM35

Newly revised LCCT airport tax effective 1 June 2007 = RM25

Thus, actual airport tax reduction for LCCT international flights is RM10, not RM26 (which is unfair and misleading comparison) :angry: .

The announcement only says domestic flights out of LCCT and BKI's new T2 will be reduced. Thus I suppose if one goes to, say Miri from KL, then it will be RM6 for KUL-MYY, and RM9 MYY-KUL. For KCH-MYY, taxes remain as it is.

It's a lot for me. Till Dec '07, I have AK trips to BKK, PDG, DPS and CNX. Total overpaid is RM26x19 = RM494. Plus local trips to TWU, LGK, PEN, KBR, BKI.

+++

Naim - you are entitled to your refund as this money is collected by AK for MAB. Ak is already making money out of holding on to these taxes until you actually fly, upon which the money should then accrue to MAB.

Tell AK to refund your money and concurrently, make AK aware that its customers are no push-overs (AK seeems to have some ethical problem recognising consumer rights.) If AK comes up with a million excuses, it is worthwhile to drag them to the consumer court and get additional damages too (for having made to go the distance just to get a refund of your taxes).

But but but, if you look at domestic airport tax out of LCCT, the airport tax is already RM6 even before the announcement (Supposedly RM 9 reduced to RM 6). I am so confused. Is AirAsia using different rate or somthing?

domestic airport tax to ALL airport is already RM6 b4 announcement. Administration fee go up from RM19 to RM21. So is extra RM2 that we have to pay!http://www.malaysianwings.com/forum/style_images/1/folder_post_icons/icon7.gif

http://www.malaysianwings.com/forum/style_...icons/icon7.gif

Naim - you are entitled to your refund as this money is collected by AK for MAB. Ak is already making money out of holding on to these taxes until you actually fly, upon which the money should then accrue to MAB.

Tell AK to refund your money and concurrently, make AK aware that its customers are no push-overs (AK seeems to have some ethical problem recognising consumer rights.) If AK comes up with a million excuses, it is worthwhile to drag them to the consumer court and get additional damages too (for having made to go the distance just to get a refund of your taxes).

I may do just that.

Btw, jeffooi.com is also joining in the fray:

http://www.jeffooi.com/2007/05/the_upanddo...frills_flyi.php

+++

AK will probably give you the run-around but give them an ultimatum. The Consumer Tribunals Court is a relatively easy process and don't need a lawyer. Max damages that can be awarded is RM25,000. I've sat in a few just to hear some of the very interesting consumer grouses against big corporates and the court is usually sympathetic to the small consumer guy. You can get more than just the amount of overpaid taxes that is due to you by claiming damges for the runaround, time spent and the typical additional 8% per annum on the amount owed.

In fact, if you had paid using a credit card, you can argue an additional 18% per annum on teh amount due to you plus additional damages.

New airport tax apply to tickets issued after June 1 :angry:

KUALA LUMPUR: The reduced airport tax for flights from low-cost carrier terminals (LCCTs) will only apply to tickets issued from June 1.

Malaysia Airports Berhad (MAB) senior general manager (operations) Datuk Azmi Murad said the new rates did not apply to those who had bought tickets in advance for travel on or after that date.

Transport Minister Datuk Seri Chan Kong Choy said on Wednesday that for the LCCTs in Sepang and Kota Kinabalu, the airport tax for domestic travel would be reduced from RM9 to RM6.

For international travel, the tax will be reduced to RM25.

On queries from The Star readers who said that the current airport tax was the same as the new rate of RM6, Azmi clarified that at present the rates for domestic and international flights were broken down into passenger service charge (or airport tax) and security charge.

The new rates lump both charges as one charge under passenger service charge without any breakdown but inclusive of the security charge, he said. (see table)

“The rates are now standard and will be applicable to all future LCCTs in the country,” he said, adding that the charges would be remitted to the MAB through airline tickets.

On statements by the Transport Minister and Tourism Ministry that airlines should refund the airport tax and fuel surcharges to passengers who did not board their flights, Azmi said it was up to the airlines to make such refunds.

He explained that MAB did not know who pays the charges because the airlines only submit the names of passengers who board the planes.

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?f...&sec=nation

Why don't they revert to the old way of paying airport tax as one checks-in, instead of upfront payment upon purchase of tickets. Then at least we don't have to worry that world class MAB gets our money without services rendered.

Sign in to follow this