MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Ewan Shamsudin

How to make more money

As I am not very business minded, it never occured to me that you could even make money out of people's desperation and anxiety at the boarding gates. Smart people at AK, however, did:

Screenshot_2.jpg

Never get squeezed in the middle again. RM20 a pop.

Does this mean that those in ordinary, non-paying line have to stand unnecessarily longer at the gates to make it meaningful for "me-firsts" in the so-called express lane?

What's next? Options to fly with or without seatbelts and lifejackets? With or without seat covers? With or without AC nozzles overhead? Coin operated oxygen masks? Stairs or slides at disembarkation?

Now I'm talking business.... :rofl:

if u ask me..i will never pay RM20 just to get the best seat...coz everytime i board AK..i managed to 'beat' those pax to get the best seat...

yeah...sinced AK implement this xpress boarding..what happen to those senior citizen and pax with kids?

yeah...sinced AK implement this xpress boarding..what happen to those senior citizen and pax with kids?

Am told boarding will be in the following order:

1) Xpress boarding

2) Priority boarding - pax with kids, pax with special needs, senior citizens etc

3) Everyone else

Edited by Keith T

Fairul, in my case, I always make it a point to board the last. No point to scramble for seats. You'll end up in the same jet-propelled winged metal tube anyway.

I enjoy looking at those 'me-firsts' faces who scrambled for 'better' seats earlier avoiding eye-contact as I, with manacing eyes, scour for an empty seat. :rotfl: Normally I'd target young couples. Bless their soul as I crash my bottom beside them (or better still, between them).

Hahahah......

I'd do the same to these paying "me-firsts" as well. They only get to choose their own seat, right? Not the people to sit with.

I like looking at people fighting for seats, because it puts our "civilised manner" to the test. You can see what Malaysian are without allocated seats - everyone fights for whats best for themselves: Human nature at its best.

In Japan, I bet things would be quite different. Those who have been to Japan can probably tell you what the Japanese are like! If Malaysians behave like the Japanese, TF wouldn't have come up with this idea at all.

Edited by S V Choong

Hahaha

Singapore is just neighbor to us but look at how people board public transports. It amazing to see how people queue up.

Across the one small river people on this side "Malaysia" change to other "mode" to be the first to enter at all cost.

I agree with you guys, even in their cars they fight for whats best for them, like cutting queues at TOLL BOOTHS!

If Malaysians behave like the Japanese, TF wouldn't have come up with this idea at all.

I dont think that's the case... Since Ryanair had been introduced the "Xpress Boarding" or the Priority Boading as they called it for quite sometime. And It's not because of the people sprinting to the plane...

It's just the way to make more money...

AK still has some catch up to do in terms of squeezing money from customers in comparison with Tiger Airways:

S$5 for 'Standard Seat' & S$25 for 'Preferred Seat' (per sector), that's more advance than AK, interested?

2007-05-17_005146.jpg

Oversized sport equipment at S$25 per sector.

2007-05-17_005203.jpg

Special discount rate of S$25 for extra 5kg (per sector), interested? (warning - no refund for any unused weight)

2007-05-17_005212.jpg

Note : Exchange Rate S$1.00 = RM2.30

What's next? Pay for Hand CArry Luggage? Pay for being off the plane first upon arrival? Pay for cockpit visit?

One thing for sure is i'll pay extra if there's an option to avoid PuduLCCTRaya.

Yeah. if Suria KLCC is already charging RM2 per toilet entry, why not AK eh? ;)

Yeah. if Suria KLCC is already charging RM2 per toilet entry, why not AK eh? ;)

1 level only (the level that is full with branded boutique), toilets on other levels still FOC including toilets inside Isetan.

The more I look at the title of this thread the more it reminds me of one of those Nigerian email scams. :pardon:

(no offence to the OP intended)

Still no sign of pay per use toilets yet..

Pay per Flush? following the Chinese Aviation move..........

Edited by Seth K

I don't mind giving AK a little extra money, for it allowed me to travel to places I'd never imagined I'd visit. RM230 return, all taxes included, to SDK non-stop on brand new planes, compared to the competition's RM1,350 via BKI.

Did anyone try the RM2-per-entry toilet at KLCC? What is it like? Is it so clean you can literally rest in the restroom, take a nap, or even m.l. inside? :p

I don't mind giving AK a little extra money, for it allowed me to travel to places I'd never imagined I'd visit. RM230 return, all taxes included, to SDK non-stop on brand new planes, compared to the competition's RM1,350 via BKI.

Voila, the targeted niche market found! Heheheh.... Certainly not for me. I think AK as a budget airline, so I keep the spirit with me for the whole journey, closing my mouth, ears, eyes and numbing my senses (figuratively speaking) until I quickly pick up my baggage and leave the airport.

Did I say 'closing my mouth'? Errr... not really. I buy food on board most of the time. Can't resist the TomYam Maggi noodles and nasi lemak aroma hahaha...

Although in AK pre takes off announcement they said 'outside food & drinks is strictly not allowed', well I can see they wasn't really strict on that and you can always enjoy your own meal as long as you know how to do it right.

On my recent flight from Macau to KL sitting in front is a group malaysian uncles and aunties (tour members) having their own feast (passing around paos -- obviously took from the morning hotel buffet breakfast) when cabin crew is having their break in the galley after the meal service. None of the crew member interfere with any of those uncles and auntie, they just keep their eyes shut and busy with their chit chat.

By the time cabin crew start the merchandise sale of course the meal party already over.

I think the strategy of having your own snack when cabin crew is having their break in galley is a smart and good strategy (if you really want to have your own meal only of course), however it's only applicable for those routes with longer flying time.

FireFly also makes similar announcements about outside food. Out of courtesy, I don't think they would reprimand pax for eating own food, especially when one does not make a mess with the food and throw leftovers in seat pockets. Maybe the least a passenger could do is to buy a drink (at least bought something) and eat one's own meal brought from home or at the airport. One could even say that one is on a low-salt diet, strictly vegetarian etc. if asked, hence the need to bring own meals.

I just have to have the nasi lemak on AK, not that it taste so outstanding, but just different from those found elsewhere. Taste almost like lemang, and the rendang is fine. No need to wait for Hari Raya to taste these delicious, albeit high cholesterol dishes.

I think AK will be absolutely angry if one takes away life jackets home. They have a special announcement just for this. Understandable, since I once saw a TV3 news videoclip showing a picnic spot with waterfall, and a few of the children bathing there were wearing Malaysia Airlines' lifejackets!!

Edited by Rozhan

What's next? Pay for Hand CArry Luggage?

Ryanair is doing that already: when I booked my 0.02 Euros ticket EIN-STN-EIN, I was asked if I carry handluggage...when I entered yes, it was bingo and I had to pay 6Euros for the online-checkin and express-boarding, kaing it 6.02Euros in all :o

Guess, they didn't want to charge my CC for 0.02 :p

It's a good move, definitely someone would actually pay.

Love the idea from TF's perspective, even though it's not really new.

Edited by Edwin P K

I'm dissapointed cause the prospect of allocated seating (whether free or with extra cost) has now gone out the window :(

Sign in to follow this