MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Sanjay Thaker

New Seats for MH's A333 and A332

Hey ppl..juz got some good news....theres an INSIDE TALK...bout MAS removing the B777 new LIE FLAT seats...and installing them in all the A333 and A332...the reason being..theres been a lil complains bout the seats being a bit too narrow..and a few other probz like with the meal table and pax sliding down a but (though not as much as on SQ flights)....so MAS is not too happy with the seats and are thinking of changing the seats to newer ones where the improvements can be made to overcome these probz...and use the seats in the airbus...tht way they wont waste their money..dont get me wrong..the seats are great currently in the GCCL..but theres a few complains..and they juz want to be the best...so..they are considering this option..which in my opinion is AMAZING!!!..pax currently already love the seats...most of them ....and if this seats are available on the airbus which now has the aged seats...can u imagine the amount of ppl would want to fly MH especially to and from the destinations which now uses the old airbus seats....the load factor is gonna increase tremendously..and on top of tht ..the 772 and 747 gets new GCCL seats....which would be even better than the present ones...pax are juz gonna love MH....its like killing two birds with one stone...now..everyone would want to fly with MH.....i think this is a wondeful step towards being an excellent airline..all the aircrafts in the fleet offers great seats..and once the 737 is replaced with the 737-800 it would be even better...so now we would have lie flats in Airbus GCCL, 772 GCCL, 747 GCCL and flat beds in 747 FC...and new seats with WI-FI in 737-800.....isnt this so cool?

That is certainly good news, the last time i flew on MH's A333, I felt quite uncomfortable with the old seats and feedback to the flight attendent, I am glad they are doing something about it now.

Let's pray this will come true. I always think that having that kind of GCC seats that are EXACTLY THE SAME as JL, TG & China Southern are real stupid. They should have something extraordinary, something different like BA new Club World (too narrow though) or VS Upper Suite (very unlikely to be like this one, copyright issue) or even better.

I have an idea here, tell me what do you guys think, ok ?

Hiring a designer just to design a new lie-flat GCC seat could cost MAS MILLIONS. So why not work together with the Malaysian Ministry Of Education & have a "GCC Design Competition" ? They could do the same thing too if they wanna a new livery.

They can have some rules for the competition such as all major schools (both primary schools & secondary schools as well as local government/private universities) must send AT LEAST 5 STUDENTS to participate in this competition. The prizes should be something like the 'winner' will get 2 round-trip F ticket to EWR while the '1st runner up' will get 2 round-trip ticket in GCC to any European cities.

I'm there gotta be somebody who is extremely creative & talented in Malaysia. The cost of having such contest is very very low, even lower than operating a round-trip flight between KUL & HKG smile.gif

well thats brilliant news, if it does materialise!

my aunt who is part of the team in Project Relish told me that MAS' chairman who was on the flight back on 9M-MRP (the first trippie with the new lie flat seats) was absolutely fuming (ill emphasise the absolutely) with anger with regards to the comfort (or lack of) of the new seats.........things that he was dissatisfied were the narrowness of the seats. the cramped pitch, the handrests which were not level (one apparently is higher than the other) and of course the design of the flimsy meal table...which begs me to question...who chose these seats in the first place?

but i reckon at the moment, theyve got to sort out their cash flow first, before investing further on inflight products

Hiring a designer just to design a new lie-flat GCC seat could cost MAS MILLIONS. So why not work together with the Malaysian Ministry Of Education & have a "GCC Design Competition" ? They could do the same thing too if they wanna a new livery.

Isaac, no offence, it is easy for you to say but not realistic. It is more cost effective to buy off the shelf stuff rather than the competition. The products from competition needs to be tested and stuff, it will be expensive. It doesn't worth the trouble.

..... MAS' chairman ..... was absolutely fuming

..... which begs me to question...who chose these seats in the first place?

8285[/snapback]

Yes, interesting to know what happened, or will happen to the 'team' that was responsible for awarding contract for the seats wink.gif It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize those seats are a bit cramped for someone expecting premium after forking out a small ransom.

I suppose it's fortunate the same fiasco was not repeated at those front few seats. Sorry, just remembered there is no F in MRP ! Maybe that was why the chairman was fuming instead ?! biggrin.gif

Well..how bout getting a few samples of seats with diff kinda stuff..and getting the cabin crew's opinion on it...i mean come on..among anyone else in the airline..they are the ones who deal with pax and the seats the most..so they certainly know better whats good and whats not..and what do pax want....maybe its time for MH to strt doin things like AirAsia...get the employees involved..

It is more cost effective to buy off the shelf stuff rather than the competition.  The products from competition needs to be tested and stuff, it will be expensive.  It doesn't worth the trouble.

8297[/snapback]

Yeah, only the winning one. Cost to organise a competition like this isn't high & i think they should give it a try. It's better than doing what BA, VS, SQ & CX did. They hired some experts to design the seats and guess how much they paid those designers ? They also had to spents millions for the seats to be tested before they introduce to the consumers. If you ask them if it worth it doing so, i'm pretty sure they all will say definately yes.

I know buying the shell type Business seats from B/E aerospace are a lot cheaper because B/E those seats aren't exclusive for certain carriers only but MH must look at the big picture before decide to do anything.

Beside, MAS MAIN RIVAL is likely to have an even better seat in their medium/long-haul Raffles Class very soon. I remember one of the reasons they wanted to introduce flat-bed in their premium classes is they want to remain competitive in this region beside attracting more high yield passengers. Buying the Business Class seats that is available on JL, TG, China Southern & KE (soon) isn't a good decision.

Well..how bout getting a few samples of seats with diff kinda stuff..and getting the cabin crew's opinion on it...

Many MAS employees (both ground & cabin) were involved when they chose the new F & C seats.

MAS wants to be different, then they must be willing to pay more which i'm sure they do smile.gif

ground and cabin crew were involved?? ok..i didnt know tht...how come most of them had no idea of it..?

8837[/snapback]

Yeah. I heard it from the MH 772 galley, as those crews were chatting after collecting the meal trays. About the latter question, i have no idea either.

Sign in to follow this