MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Keith T

UA/NZ/EK/QF business class LAX/SFO-AKL for USD1480 all in

Might be a good deal for those based around the US. Routing: UA to SYD, QF/NZ/EK to AKL. Fare is round trip all in on orbitz. For CRS rules, the fare basis is CNZ (UA fare).

Don't know if it's a mistake fare yet. I suspect it is a mistake fare as it books you into C (full fare bucket) instead of some obscure discount fare bucket. Some clueless IT person probably missed a 0 when they're uploading fares. So book quickly before the fare gets pulled in case it's a mistake. Fare is also fully refundable. Seems to work on most dates. Unfortunately not available ex-AKL, but still a bloody good deal if it works out for you.

Watch this thread for more info: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=690390

Edited by Keith T

Fare also available on expedia. UA is taking unbelievably long to correct the mistake! Or maybe they're desperate and it's a real fare?! :blink:

A friend of mine just booked 30 tickets. :o

Edited by Keith T

Good news for backpackers too!!! :pardon:

USD1450 for C trans-PAC, WOW!

I'm beginning to wonder if UA will honour what seems like thousands of fares booked on this mistake. It's been up for VERY long.

Appears to be a mistake on UA's part as the fare can also be priced out on UA's website and expedia. Pity I can't do it ex-AKL. Booked one for fun anyway but might cancel later (fully refundable) if I can't incorporate it as part of my confirmed itineraries.

I'm beginning to wonder if UA will honour what seems like thousands of fares booked on this mistake. It's been up for VERY long.

UA is going to honor the fare, although no word is out yet if they are going to honor the fare rules as well (it will be awesome if they do!). This fare was found as early as Saturday afternoon/evening (Pacific Time) and was bookable until Monday morning/afternoon (Pacific Time). That's LOOOOONG for a fare error!

I bought 3 tix (2 for me and 1 for my sis). One for Thanksgiving and one for Xmas/New Year. Now, if only UA will announce their new Business/First Class products earlier or I am able to fly trans-Pac with NZ with this fare...that'll be orgasmic (guess $1400 for biz class is an amazing deal after all)! I did managed to get the much coveted Row 15 on the B744 but my upgrade to First have yet to clear though.

Still deciding if I should go down under for T-giving...is 1K really worth the $2000 extra?

Just a note - fare is gone now.

Still deciding if I should go down under for T-giving...is 1K really worth the $2000 extra?

You get a bundle of SWUs to avoid UA C. ;)

And if they can be used to upgrade someone other than urself like AA evips, the SWUs can be worth more than just upgrades and you might just get ur 2 grand worth back in no time plus enjoy the extra benefits of 1K... I won't reveal much more since I'm posting under my real name here. :o But head over to 'Coupon Connections' on FT and you'll see what I mean.

Don't think friend is going for UGS since that depends on revenue spent, not flown mileage. Crazy thing about UGS is ANYTHING ticketed on UA 016 stock counts. So even if you plate an entirely SQ itinerary like MEL-SIN-LHR return on 016 ticket stock - and have ur MP number in the reloc, ur entire itinerary will count towards UGS. Oh and SQ now tracks PPS based on revenue spent on their flights (any SQ coded flight regardless of who issued the tickets) and so by virtue of the FQTV/FQTS split you might well end up w both UGS and PPS. :D

Friend is OTOH trying to trade his (peak period which can be sold at full C) seats with UA for some other benefit from the airline... the other real use of mistake fares of course.

If they're going to honour the fare rules entirely, and since it's a full C - it does mean u can endorse ur fare over to another airline like NZ or QF! Would fast track my EXP qualification by at least 5 months if I endorse the whole thing over to QF!! :D :D Or if it doesnt go beyond MPM or go out of route map, fly SFO-SIN-AKL on SQ for cheap as chips?? ;)

Ah I can dream...

Having said that - if you are crediting to UA MP - only UA, US and LH transatlantic will give you class of service bonus. In other words - no status bonus if you bring ur fare over to NZ!

Edited by Keith T

If I am using SWUs, chances are I will be sitting in UA C class then, unless I am working for a major consulting company where they will fork out some $$$ for me to sit in Biz. Benefits of a 1K over a 1P: longer upgrade confirmation window period, 2 CR-1s for every 10k BIS miles, 6 SWUs, higher priority for upgrade, better chances of an op-up, red carpet boarding to avoid gate lice - am I missing anything else?

I always thought invitation for UGS is based on your station as well (in addition to your revenue). Maybe if you friend is based out of say Montana, he might make UGS there- just don't be based out of SFO where almost everyone is in Seating Area 1 or boarding using the red carpet.

I don't think the fare is endorseable. It specially says that the trans-Pac sector must be on UA metal. I’d chosen Air NZ's Business Premier over UA's C, maybe F at any given time. UA C will get me 25% COS bonus + 100% RDM bonus, which is approximately 18K miles for this trip. I try to fly other Star Alliance carriers when flying long-haul from the US, sure I'll lose out in the BIS and RDM bonus miles, but I'd take that over UA service anyday.

Edited by Craig

If I am using SWUs, chances are I will be sitting in UA C class then, unless I am working for a major consulting company where they will fork out some $$$ for me to sit in Biz. Benefits of a 1K over a 1P: longer upgrade confirmation window period, 2 CR-1s for every 10k BIS miles, 6 SWUs, higher priority for upgrade, better chances of an op-up, red carpet boarding to avoid gate lice - am I missing anything else?

The SWUs can be converted into (paper) LH upgrade vouchers and used on a standby basis on LH flights. I think they're only limited to TATL flights though - so to get ur bob's worth flights like SFO-FRA or LAX-FRA are more worthy of SWUing than JFK-FRA for eg.

You also get access to a dedicated 1K hotline - never underestimate the value of these in the event of irregular ops or when you just need rules to be bent for whatever reason.

Also, do not discount unpublished benefits.

In general, once you get to taste 1K, preferably with a glass of Merlot and canapes accompanied with an F suite, you'll never look back to 1P.

You got PM wrt SWUs.

I always thought invitation for UGS is based on your station as well (in addition to your revenue). Maybe if you friend is based out of say Montana, he might make UGS there- just don't be based out of SFO where almost everyone is in Seating Area 1 or boarding using the red carpet.
Rules for UGS qualification, like any other unpublished invitational level status, are rather arbitrary so I won't be surprised if there's some sort of geographical discrimination like how the European FFPs operate even wrt published status levels. Over at this end of the world, Qantas gives anyone with any sort of political influence CL membership, ie it's a bribe. Not a surprise that the biggest CL in Australia is in Canberra Airport.

I might get Steve to experiment getting UGS by procuring an address in Anchorage or Montana though. :p

I don't think the fare is endorseable. It specially says that the trans-Pac sector must be on UA metal. I’d chosen Air NZ's Business Premier over UA's C, maybe F at any given time.

Oops indeed it does. Just noticed it's 'CNZ' not 'CRT.' My apologies. :sorry:

UA C will get me 25% COS bonus + 100% RDM bonus, which is approximately 18K miles for this trip. I try to fly other Star Alliance carriers when flying long-haul from the US, sure I'll lose out in the BIS and RDM bonus miles, but I'd take that over UA service anyday.

Then MP might not be the best FFP for you. The lack of COS bonus was the main reason why I dumped my 1P status and aspirations of 1K and went for LH SEN instead. And even if UA awards are generally cheaper, that is offset by the lack of bonuses on partners (of course this might not be such a problem if ure normally forced to fly UA), difficulty in getting awards on partner carriers and generally less award inventory than what *net actually shows. M+M accrues at 300% in F, 200% in C, 150% in Y/B/H. Tag on another 25% bonus if you're at least an FTL flying LH/LX/LO/OS metal. My flights are roughly 70% on partners (mainly SQ) and the rest LH/LX. And besides LH/LX/LO/OS, the LH SEN vouchers (our SWUs) can also be used on SQ, NH and UA. Am still waiting for a chance to book another LH flight in C so I can upgrade myself to F and get another FCT visit though. Their Aussie specials are very well worth it. :) [As an aside I've also got AA Plat but maintained it without boarding a single (paid) AA flight last year - all QF/BA and some CX. And no it wasnt the LAAck-of-ChAAllenge.]

Further, you can't access lounges on purely domestic itineraries with UA or US *G unless you purchase RCC membership at extortionate prices or a USD50 day pass which id rather spend on a nice meal at Lawry's. But as an non UA/US*G I get access to all US/UA lounges even on purely domestic itineraries in the US.

And to put icing on the cake, SEN lasts for 2 yrs whereas you have to requal for both 1P and 1K annually.

A lot of it depends on ur personal flying pattern, but if you are so close to 1K you obviously have enough miles to achieve most *G statuses with spare. If you do lots of domestic flying, it might be best to just buy E+ access and put ur miles on a non UA/US FFP entirely. After all, what you're only really giving up on is the ability to get a slightly bigger seat and be served a meal of questionable nutritional value. I'd rather suffer a little on the short domestic flights (transcon is 6 hrs max anyway, HNL and ANC notwithstanding) but have flexibility as to who I choose to fly long haul, use SWUs of the host carrier (like LH SEN vouchers) to fly in comfort in a superior product, and much better award inventory and earn/burn ratios (considering that you are more likely to fly non UA long haul and hence no COS bonuses on MP itself). \

Have a look at BMI diamond club since they're now open to anyone living anywhere. They've got a very good Cash and Miles scheme which is worth exploring.

Having said all that, if you're so close to 1K - go fer it!! :p

Or construct a nice little MR - but hey a holiday downunder has never hurt anyone. ;)

Edited by Keith T

I am doing this at work, so it’s fragmented based on your earlier reply:

I don’t personally fly LH, but it might be worthwhile if it can be used for SQ upgrade!

I already have a dedicated 1P line, which 99% of the time is handled by agents in the US. It’s way better than the ICC (I think the biggest benefit of a 1P over a 2P is getting a US based call center instead of the dreaded ICC. That alone is worth flying 50k miles). During irregular ops, the US agent managed to secure me on a later flight (and booked me into Y – so 150% EQM benefit...yay!) even though my first outbound flight is still showing on-time by UA’s flight status system. Occasionally, I have been routed to the 1K desk, and they handled my call in the same professional manner. Among the 1K benefits that is really useful to me is the complimentary same-day confirmed standby, SWUs, and CR-1s.

I am already enjoying my 1P benefits, can’t get up to 1K that fast, otherwise I am going to spend all my money to stay in that status forever...getting status with an airline is highly addictive!

There was a post in FT that you can qualify for UGS if you fly 50k miles on full price tickets...so hopefully the “CNZ” fares are considered full-price tickets...*wishful thoughts*

I mainly fly on flexible fares when traveling with *A carriers, but el cheapo L, T, S on UA (going to use my e-500s for trans-con upgrade anyway – that’s why I am with UA MP). Also, I don’t believe LH gives its M&M members the 500 miles minimum on UA flight. This is especially useful when I am taking the “scenic” SNA to LAX flight – probably the biggest bang for the buck. You get 500 miles for flying only 36 miles! Isn’t that the shortest commercial flight in UA’s network?

Do you really want to visit the RCC? They aren’t really anything to write home about. I have been to a couple of domestic RCCs and they all pretty much suck except for the one in SFO. The only reason I am going to the RCC in LAX is because I don’t want to smell like McDonalds when I am boarding the plane ;) I’ll usually visit other *G lounge instead of the RCC (AC’s MLL in YVR is awesome!)

E+ is good, especially if you get row 6 on the Airbus 319/320s, row 9 on the 757s, especially on the PS configured ‘57s, although I try to avoid the B733/735 like a plague.

MR might be needed at the end of the year, especially if the $160 all-in LAX-IAD-PVD returns! That should get me 5.5k miles easy. Now will not be a good time for MR...unless you are planning to get VDBed. Chances are, I should get VDBed or an op-up if I am flying back from LHR to any UA stations on a Sunday in July/August, but the fares are simply too expensive to fly to LHR now.

The RCCs/Admiral Clubs aren't much but anything is better than the terminal on those domestic itineraries.

To me the SEN vouchers are a waste on SQ - because you have to buy at least Y or B fares in the first place to get up to Raffles class. And it's next to impossible to find O space on SQ First. A much better use would be to get a reasonably priced LH Z/D fare, and upgrade to LH F along with a visit to the Mother of All Lounges - the FCT.

Ah yes, SNA-LAX... the *A version of the BA BAH-DOH-BAH run. :D Or earning QF SCs on a certain bus (not airbus) ride in Far North Queensland....;)

http://www.miles-and-more.com/online/porta...;nodeid=1230759

M+M members earn the 500 miles min on UA flights, and on all other partners. UA and US (and HP?) are also airlines which attract an Executive bonus of 25% (both RDM and EQM) for FTL and SEN members, and 50% for HON members. Apologies on missing out on that detail in my previous post. So if you're *S and above you'd be getting at least 625 miles for SNA-LAX. ;)

Also I don't believe you get min miles in Europe on MP. With M+M you get a set amount of miles depending on the type of segment you fly and the fare class, which can work out very well on those shorter segments.

And if you fly other *A carriers on flex fares, you get up 150% for the flex Y fares.

One other benefit for US-based M+M SEN members is the 20% off award redemption vouchers, which are given out during Christmas or some other special ocassion I believe. Check the M+M forum on FT for more info.

Ah yes - the infamous ICC. Had to deal with them just last week for a *A Oceania award and according to them I can't use my miles for MEL-AKL-PPT because UA doesn't fly the route! :blink: Ended up calling the 1P line (still have the card) even though I'm not meant to. Reached the pretty capable HNL call centre.

And even then MP has MUCH lesser inventory than what is actually made available on *net.

I'm planning to achieve and retain AA EXP on just 1 ex-NRT DONE4 [CMB would be ideal - 700 bucks cheaper. But that's now not possible due to the Tamil Tigers' 'festivities' and CX's decision to can the service] and several cheap repositioning F flights from exotic locations (like North Africa for eg...;)) a year. Would be much easier with QF WP or BA (EuroCheat)Gold. A weekend of AA YUP fares on longish flights like DFW-ANC-DFW turnaround or DFW-HNL-DFW would easily requal (barring the min 4 home carrier metal-operated flights rule). But I guess the easy status is offset by the much less attractive earn/burn on those FFPs.

But if I had to remake my decision on a *A FFP - I'd have joined BD DC. Just they weren't open to people outside Europe when I picked my *A FFP which is how I ended up with MP, then M+M. No regrets with M+M so far except that I won;t be able to keep LH*G if I want to maintain oneworld emerald at the same time [whereas I'd be able to with Aeroplan or DC for eg - but that's where status matches come in handy ;), orphaning miles notwithstanding]. DC is a VERY underrated program - the accrual rates are comparable with M+M and after the initial 52k status miles to get *G you need only 38k to keep *G. Think many more holidays spent on cheap-ish long haul First Class redemptions...:)

Hmm I wish Australia has those crazy MR-conducive fare specials that you guys seem to have all the time Stateside. We also get hit majorly with QF fuel fines here which are levied PER SEGMENT. Once upon a time AA.com used to price out domestic QF fares sans GST and YQ, but now QF has found a way to restrict agency-ticketing of certain buckets.

Sorry for the somewhat disjointed reply - lazy to quote different bits of ur post. :p

Edited by Keith T

Question for Craig - an illustrious friend who's attained the mythical 3K this year mentioned that an SWU has no limits on segments for its usage so long as you don't stopover, unlike EVIP which is limited to 3 segments.

So could you use a single SWU for something like:

JFK-LAX-SYD-SFO-ORD-HKG-SIN-HKG-ORD-LAX-FRA-JFK, assuming the whole thing is on one PNR and they're all transits (of up to 23 hrs and 55 mins for instance) and not stopovers? :D

And I thought I did a clever thing by using an EVIP for LHR-LAX-ORD-AUS... ah well.

Good luck on 1K btw - will pop open my bottle of Veuve and drink it in ur honour when u qual. :D

Edited by Keith T

If you want to fly on SQ from the US, you are probably buying B or S booking class in order for mileage accrual. It’s hard to find other subclasses such as M, W, E etc. available from the US. And it’s not really that expensive to buy a B or S with SQ.

I don’t know how much a BAH-DOH-BAH run will cost, but, a SNA-LAX-SNA or v.v. will cost around $300-$400. The good thing about SNA is that you can drop off your Bentley/Porsche curb-side for valet and be on the plane in 15 mins time.

As a 1P, I’ll be earning 1000 RDMs for my SNA-LAX flight although I am only getting 500 EQMs.

I love the HNL call center. They do an awesome job. It’s definitely worth flying 50,000 miles a year just for getting a US based call center.

I have already invested too many miles in UA MP to leave that program. And since I mostly fly UA for my domestic/trans-borders flights, I think it’s a better program for me (for scoring op-ups, better assistance during irr-ops, getting VDBs etc.) M&M sounds like a good program, but I hardly fly LH.

Oh yeah, I don’t think anywhere else in the world where you can do a efficient MR other than the states – thanks to its huge domestic market and WN/F9/B6 etc. I flew LAX-IAD-PVD for only $160 all-in, a total distance of approximately 2,500 miles – almost equivalent to that of a KUL-PER/PVG flight. Plus, I was on Biz from IAD-LAX on a B772 XC configuration.

I do believe that an SWU doesn’t have segments limitation...so for all you know, you can use A SWU for a SIN-NRT-LAX-JFK-IAD-KWI flight...although I am not sure if you can use it for a roundtrip.

I am still deciding on the 1K...if I am going to fly a lot next year and how I will treasure my SWUs/CR-1s.

PS: Sorry for being segmented as well.

BAH-DOH-BAH is only really lucrative if you're on the Tier point/status credit system FFP like QFF and BAEC. A difference in class traveled can as much as triple or quadruple your status credits (which are calculated on a completely separate system to award miles). The easier mileage accrual opportunity State side - I think this is why programs like AAdvantage and MP are mileage based and give very little EQM bonus compared to the status credit/tier point system of QFF and BAEC or the more generous status accruing M+M. Even the difference of less than 5 miles can mean you get many times more TPs on QFF/BAEC - and I wonder why these carriers vigorously enforce the 'minimum 4 home metal segment' rule. :D

I believe very cheap SQ C deals are out of TPE. Why not try getting a cheapie or award to TPE and flip over, do exTPE tickets? Now you're even getting the 77W TPE-LAX 4xweekly, soon to be daily.

Alternatively if you play around with the ITA tool there're still some cheap exCMB F fares to be had. And they can be ticketed on UA 016 stock. ;)

Oh btw - I called the 1P number again and got routed to the ICC for the first time in my life on that number! :o Spoke to a "Britney" [um yeah right...] in New Delhi, who couldn't understand my accent and neither could I understand hers. In the end I found that the quickest way of getting my call routed to American soil was to ask something as simple as MCT in SFO - "You need to speak to my supervisor about it" and I ended up with HNL! :good:

Yeah actually I feel the same way about M+M, while BD DC is a much better program now that it's open to the rest of the world, I don;'t want to build up in another program all over again. Particularly now that as I'm moving away from *A - any move to another program in the same alliance is likely to result in orphaned miles since I won't be accruing as much and hence will not have enough miles for awards for extended periods. Have to use my SEN vouchers before they expire though - I believe that is 3 yrs after I lose status completely, which means 7 years from now - praise be to 2 yr status validity and soft dropping!

Anyway I've finally confirmed my DONE4 routing, about to send it for ticketing soon. It's now sitting with the rates desk while they figure out my taxes. Thankfully AA doesn't levy surcharges except TATL and transpac. Alas am with the folks for the US segments and it's the wrong season so i can't do the ANC segments, but i've the miles nailed as best as I could in the max of 20 segments anyway. But we aren't going home at the same time since they aren't coming to MSY so I'm doing DFW-JFK-SYD instead of DFW-LAX-SYD. :D Broken it into several different trips:

NRT-xSIN-xLHR-DXB-xLHR-FCO/BCN-LHR-LAX/LAS-MIA/FLL-LGA-MSY-xDFW-xJFK-SYD/ (rest) - Jan-Feb 08 [Pieter if you're reading this - yes I'm indeed flying ur beloved KLM FCO-AMS-BCN :p]

MEL-AKL/WLG-xSYD-PER-CBR/ (rest) - Mar 08

MEL-HKG-SIN-NRT - Jul 08

Good thing about xONEx is there's no distance limitation like RWSTAR so the deal is to backtrack as much and as far as possible, subject to restrictions of course.

That's 85% of the way to EXP. Will start another DONE4 when I finish that one and I'll hit EXP after another 10 000 or so actual BIS. :yahoo:

Alas for this year I'm only flying enough to keep PLT - not a bad effort as I've still been doing a fair bit on SQ/*A. The relatively cheap BA T class deals earn the same EQPs as full Y/biz/F which is nice.

BTW - what's ur handle on Flyertalk?

Edited by Keith T

NRT-xSIN-xLHR-DXB-xLHR-FCO/BCN-LHR-LAX/LAS-MIA/FLL-LGA-MSY-xDFW-xJFK-SYD/ (rest) - Jan-Feb 08 [Pieter if you're reading this - yes I'm indeed flying ur beloved KLM FCO-AMS-BCN :p]

Thanks a lot for your patronage and welcome to Skyteam :p

Thanks a lot for your patronage and welcome to Skyteam :p

Thanks Pieter.

I knew I should've kept up with that rabbies vaccination. Do SkyTeam passengers bite? :o

:p :P :p :D :D

kidding. ;)

I don’t know much about OW alliance FFPs, as I am still confused about the Emerald, Sapphire, and Ruby pecking order. I have spent too much time on *A (learning the know-hows and how to score an op-up, learn how to gain maximum mileage, priority boarding/luggage etc.) to switch to another alliance. All I know is PLT on AA will give you OW mid-tier (same as *G, except that *A doesn’t have a top-tier level). DL/CO/NW mid-tier (Gold level) is only Skyteam Elite, not Elite Plus (i.e. no priority baggage/lounge access for DL/CO/NW mid-tier members traveling on an international itinerary).

I was thinking of switching to Asiana’s FFP (since their Asiana Club Diamond membership card doesn’t have an expiration date...i.e. lounge access for life) :) I could have done the 100K EQM in 2 years (and they have 500 miles minimum rules, even on el cheapo L class – although I find it weird that they give 0 miles for I class – the equivalent of NC or Business Upgrade). And it’s not hard to do 40K in 3 years.

I don’t think TPE is as cheap as it’s used to be now, especially with SQ’s new B77W. I think they charge a premium for those flights.

How do you play around the ITA tool? It only gives me flights that I can find in Orbitz, not anywhere else (like a creative MR).

Haha...the good ol’ ICC. I hated that when I was a 2P, they always say “Sir, I don’t understand you.” or "Sir, what do you mean by oversold?" Right because it’s not snowing in India and you have no idea how Chicago’s weather affect California flights as well. Apparently the Manila call center is way much better than the ICC (I haven’t tried the Manila CC though...ever since I’ve become a 1P, all my calls are routed to either HNL, DTW, or ORD). About Britney, yeah they do have Britneys in India...and I also spoke with John Nash who works at United's ICC as well...no kidding! Other names I have heard include Andrea Gail (yes that's the ship's name in the Perfect Storm) and Michael Owen.

Oh by the way, I don't think you will get to speak to a HNL agent if you request to transfer to a supervisor. I've tried that and all I get is another "Jessica Simpson." Someone must be looking after you from UA! :D

oneworld has a 3 tier system: Ruby (AA Gold), Sapphire (AA PLT) and Emerald (AA EXP). *S is equivalent to Ruby but where Ruby allows biz check in, *S doesn't. *G is probably analogous to Sapphire, which allows you utility of business class facilities such as check in, lounges etc and priority boarding. Emerald allows access to First class facilities - that's the top up u get over Sapphire and you'd be much higher up the pecking order for op ups etc. But neither Sapphire nor Emerald guarantees priority baggage tags, with CX probably being the only carrier that gives them out. And nor do you get extra baggage allowance like *G. OTOH, you get priority seat preference. Although this varies to some degree on various airlines according to individual policy - it's usually very good. You get exit row seats on AA and CX, and you must be at least Sapphire to even be allowed to pre-allocate seats on BA (even in F and J! - only exception being people who pay full fare vs discounted fares). Priority boarding is like it is with *G.

IIRC the USD500 Q surcharge on the SQ 77W (and quite possibly A380) is only temporary. No one knows how long it'd last though. But if you manage to get an IATA YY fare - you escape the surcharge. Another good place to pick up tickets is exTIP but you need to find someone willing to issue such a ticket and organise a Libyan visa. Lots of myths on FT about TIP (like how you have to be a Libyan resident etc) - most of them untrue and deliberately designed to keep TIP off the radar of the airlines. I've not done a TIP b4 admittedly because a RTW fits my needs better and TIP is only really useful if I want to keep making return trips to Europe.

You need to think of your own routing to get the ITA tool to work. PM ITA Hacker for instructions. Suss out more info on FT for this but be pretty subtle about it because people get very secretive about such things since the airlines lurk on FT.

Mmmm Asiana - the FFP for the infrequent flyer. I think you need to look at their earn/burn as well though. Haven't really analysed their program but I think you ought to balance ease of status with earn/burn. I'd rather tough it out to get AA EXP than getting QF Plat (emerald) in half the time because AA miles are worth a lot more than QFF points. Isn't I the award bucket for business class on *A? If so - you wouldn't get miles on any FFP (SQ lists it as a non eligible class). If you get an upgrade to I, you'd still get miles from the fare class you're actually booked in me thinks.

Hmm I might just call the oz number in future - that usually gets routed to the Phillippines call centre which is much better. Here's hoping AA in the US doesn't decide to 'enhance' by setting up an ICC like what the Aussie office has done!

Edited by Keith T

My sis earned Asia Miles silver status (OW ruby) recently and it allows her to use CX lounges and biz class check in as well. Plus, more often than not, she gets an op-up on CX. This doesn’t usually happens with other Asian carriers like TG and SQ (hitting a jackpot in Vegas is probably easier than scoring an op-up with SQ as a *G). IMHO, there isn’t much benefits to a *S, other than priority waitlisting and E+ on UA (only if you are a 2P or 3P). So does Emerald allows you to use First Class lounge?

I know AA and UA FFPs are almost identical to one another, so it’s easier for me to compare. It’s always AA does this, will UA follow and vice versa. One thing UA lack of AA’s counterpart is luggage tag. I am always jealous whenever I see NW or AA’s elite passengers with their luggage tag while we don’t get anything while, even as a UGS/1K.

No MR for me starting outside of So-Cal though...it’s probably more expensive for me to fly there than to take the MR. Unless of course, there is an extremely good deal (NW’s Canada-BUH comes to mind) :)

When you upgrade with miles/e-500s/CR-1/SWUs, it will book you into NC class, but when you check seatcounter, it says I. Same goes for NF/X.

SQ has opened up an ICC recently as well. I haven’t experience SQ’s ICC yet, so I can’t really compare it with UA’s. And for everyone who is flying AA’s sake, I am hoping that AA doesn’t open an ICC too.

Your sister did not earn status on Asia Miles - she earned it on Marco Polo Club. Asia Miles is the mileage accrual scheme for CX (and BAEC members residing in Asia) - MPC is for CX status. Her lounge access is a CX-specific benefit - she won't have lounge access outside CX/KA. And CX is the exception rather than the rule when it comes to op ups. I've been op upped 75% of the time as an AA PLT.

AA bag tags do not come for free - USD10.

Yeah I really hope the AA call centre ops remain as they are. AA might not have the best onboard product but its customer service on the ground is truly superb. I've dealt with the RTW desks of BA, CX, QF and AA to organise xONExs - the AAgents always stand out. A truly dedicated and creative bunch of people, especially when compared to BA which seem to have uniquely demoralised their staff. The only exception is the AA Australia number that routes you to an ICC - but even then they seem very well trained compared to other ICCs. There aren't many things that require me to call the aussie number anyway - usually easier to call the PLT line in the US, put the itinerary on hold, and call the aussie number to ticket it. With the lack of fuel fines, there's no reason for me to do my ticketing with any airline other than AA nowadays. Only call up the other carriers when I need to insert my FF number into their systems as AA is on Sabre while QF/BA are on Amadeus, and CX has its own internal system.

And can I just point out how smoothly oneworld has integrated its members compared to *A. With AA all I have to do is rattle off the flights I want and the reloc is prepared less than 20 mins later. They can even do seat selection etc on QF/BA/CX etc. I've also bought *A multi carrier products - and unless you go to a TA and incur unnecessary booking fees, the individual *A airlines rarely if ever have full access to inventory of other member airlines. I've done this with SQ, NZ and UA (when we had direct access to the MEL CTO) - you tell them what you want over the phone (good luck with the UA ICC for that), they then send off individual requests to each of the carrier participating in ur itinerary. And you don't get a PNR created until a week later - and that's if all the carriers have approved ur request for a D seat! It appears that *A has not coordinated full IET links between its members, which are admittedly extremely expensive. That said, if only ow has the coverage of *A. Ah the joys of double status - I have the freedom to choose between flights of both alliances for the next 2 years.

Fortunately I've not dealt with the SQ ICC... yet. They've downsized their Aussie call centre - now takes more on average 15 mins to answer phone calls. Sometimes when in the vicinity I've found it faster to visit their CTO!

Edited by Keith T

So for CX Asia Miles is strictly for miles while MPC is strictly for status? Do OW partners count towards MPC qualification? One wishful thought: SQ to follow CX’s op-ups SOP. especially on their B77W. Then it’s really worth paying the 500 YQ on SQ! :)

Since she only flies CX on trans-Pac sectors, CX lounges is all she need and they are all excellent lounges – unlike the RCCs I have been used to. Haven’t had a chance to visit the Wing at HKG, but she has been raving about it. The nicest lounge I’ve ever been to is AC’s MLL at YVR and TG’s RSL at BKK (Suvarnabumi). KL’s WBC lounge in AMS is decent; absolutely love the tarmac views, but the lack of computer terminals made it slip a notch.

I wouldn’t mind paying the $10 for a nice baggage tag. They offer one at United’s store, but it’s just a standard baggage tag, without *G or “Premier Executive” on it.

I haven’t been on one of those RTW *A tickets yet, but I haven’t had any problems communicating with NZ on my C class deal, neither do I have any problems dealing with US for my UA coded flights. The only problems with *A is when I am flying AC on UA coded flight. AC is reluctant to change anything to my reservations, even seat assignments.

SQ needs to hire more staff for its call center. Not only they do not have a toll-free number for KF redemption (my parents need to call SIN everytime), members are required to wait for at least 30-45 mins before someone picks up the phone (and you are paying long-distance calls too!). SQ’s reservation centers in the U.S. aren’t that great either – most of the time, I will be put on hold for at least 10-15 minutes before speaking to an agent (unless I am calling really early in the morning).

*A coverage is great, but there aren’t that many choices if you want to fly to KUL. I’d like to try OZ and NH (heard great things about NH and the *A lounge in NRT), but too bad, they don’t fly to KUL. SQ and TG are my only options.

Yes OW partners count towards MPC status. She must fly at least 4 CX flights a year to keep status however. And SQ is the complete opposite to CX, even stingier than QF/BA, when it comes to op ups unfortunately. Happened to me once though. :D

In terms of lounges nothing beats the LH FCT, both as a lounge and the ego factor involved in being ferried to the aircraft in your own limo. Nice protection from gate lice and the great unwashed. ;) My friend booked a turnaround on QF yesterday just to see the new QF F lounge - he's been raving about it ever since so I can't wait to check that out. Apart from the FCT, my next favourites are the Wing/Pier and the VS Clubhouses at both JFK and LHR - SQ J/F BPs allow entry to the latter. Alternatively just get a match to BD*G - they match anything. :D I can't bring myself to fly VS as their flights are usually long haul - too far to fly not earning *A/ow miles! So the recourses as described are great.

I've never got the AA tags. I use my LH ones - they come in a nice, burgundy leather covering and are FREE. :)

Of course you hadn't had any trouble communicating on those tickets you mentioned. I haven't had any trouble either - AFTER the reservation is actually set up. It's the setting up that's the problem, ie trying to even get a PNR. RTW *A tickets book into D or A (forgot what's the Y code but then I'm not crazy enough to do a RTW in (wh)Y) and are not particularly lucrative for the airlines. And usually many carriers are involved, although I tried to make mine as SQ as possible. As mentioned the issuing carrier will not necessarily have direct access to all seat inventory. But once the PNR is actually created - you'll be able to talk to the carriers yourself. Except for some like AC who will tell you to talk to your 'travel agent' if the ticket is not issued by them. There's a myth that you need to go to the first carrier on ur itinerary - but this is not true, just show the star file to the next agent who says it is. I did most of mine out of BKK travel agents anyway, when BKK prices were still competitive - the travel agents there also do not hit you with booking fees AND even meet you at the airport to deliver ur tickets if u're doing a turnaround. :good:

Get skype or VOIP for the long distance calls. I'm only paying 4cents a minute to call the US. :)

Amongst the hodge podge of carriers in *A, I'd only really fly SQ, NZ, NH, LX, and LH in F. And even then I only really liked SQ. So going back to oneworld was an easy decision to make after the PPS Club enhancements. It is also possible to go to KUL on QF/BA - they have fares there and interline you on to any carrier between SIN and KUL. Plus I get to pay for BA World Traveler's Plus cabin between SYD and SIN. See the SEPT entry in my signature. A coincidence that I'm going to KUL so much this year- usually it's once a year or once every 2 yrs. Great party town though. Not to mention cheap mattress runs with 3 different SPG hotels in the city. :D

Edited by Keith T

Sign in to follow this