MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
A. Danial Z.

Question for Muslim pilots

hi n salam, dis is a quest for muslim pilots, how do you all manage prayer (solat) time? do you all practising jama' n qasar? or if you done a prayer in aircraft, how do you all fix the qiblat?

I dont know about pilot but as a passenger especially Malaysia Airlines Passenger, I do pray on board and steward and stewardess always help me about it. The Qiblat direction.. hmm Malaysia Airlines flight information system always shows Qiblat direction among other information but usually the steward or stewardess will show me the direction in the Prayers Area. The GPS system can always tell the direction.

Regarding time..hmmm of course Jamak and Qassar. since i cant really determine the exact time. So as a result I always wait till it is really late afternoon for Asar & Zohor... and during night for Isyak & Maghrib.

So far I have experience no trouble for performing solat on board with Malaysia Airlines. I dont know about other Airlines. That's Why I always prefer Malaysia Airlines if travel across continent.. :)

The qiblat direction should be the least of your worries, especially in a moving vehicle. The basic key tenents of prayers do not include facing the qiblat.

As for ablution, it may be difficult to wash one's feet. Hence, what u can do is perform ablution on the ground as per normal, immediatley wear your socks and the next time you need to perform ablution in the air (within the confined spaces & limited water supply), you just need to wipe the top part of your socks (whilst wearing it of course) with water. I know they dont teach this in M'sia, but lots of travellers practise this and is applicable across all schools of thought.

Islamic regulations and figure of practices can be change by every muslim country. Islamic regulations interpretations in depends by countries. example, Turkey is a muslim country but aircrafts has not prayer room, or information displays are not show qiblet (kible in Turkish). Also according us, (as interpretations) if some one on moving (means journey) , prayer (namaz) is not obligaiton. Person can make prayers later and it can be forgive. If you are going with a car,ofcourse you can stop avaliable place and make prayer and you can find the way by sun position or simple compass. But in air, it means you have limited space, fast movement in air (so namaz times can be change by region or time blocks ) even you have see kible (qiblet) direction.

according me and in my country of course.

For muslim pilot crossing different time zones all the time, jamak & qasar is almost compulsory if you don't want to miss any prayer. Facing kiblat is not a must when travelling on aircraft (based on one sunnah that our prophet was praying while riding on a camel & the camel change direction).

Depending on no of crew, time, sector, workload in cockpit & weather I either pray in the crew bunk or on my cockpit seat (seating). I suggest you contact JAKIM -Jabatan Kemajuan Islam Malaysia (if you are malaysian) since they do research on all aspect of muslim practices & issues with our modern lifestyle (they don't just issue HALAL cert ok!), and can advise you on other practise by other 'mazhab' like hanafi & hambali that we can adapt to fulfil our obligation as muslim & pilot at the same time.

But, I find that fasting during ramadan is the most challenging if you are flying eastbound near sunset for long haul flight (e.g Narita- LAX). I once took off right before break fast & took my meal after level off. 2-3 hours later it was already sunrise & that during summer in the US, so longer fasting period. So, it became 1 meal for break-fast & 'sahur' & extended fasting time). Of course its no longer compulsory to fast as traveller/musafir but I hate to keep 'make up' my fasting in other time. So I try to fast whenever possible during ramadan.

But, as pilot your priority is the safety of the flight. Islam provides 'alternative ways' for us to perform both duties. You just need to know how & who to ask (example JAKIM).

I believe MH 777 & MH 747 have both prayer room. Available to everybody upon request..

Well, actually they don't - not like, say, SV's 772. What MH offers on its 772 and 744 is the space near/ next to the door (in between galleys), which can be curtained off for prayers. Anyway, in most cases, praying whilst seated is probably more convenient.

hermm.. just to share something here guys...once i did saw a steward of Jordan Airlines performing solat subuh at...how to say(i'm not an expert in aircraft, rarely fly...)...between economy class n biz class there is a place (next to the emergency doors,if i'm not mistaken) at the most front of economy class which is spacious enough...and he stand (qiam) to perform the solat. And he's facing towards cockpit.

hermm.. just to share something here guys...once i did saw a steward of Jordan Airlines performing solat subuh at...how to say(i'm not an expert in aircraft, rarely fly...)...between economy class n biz class there is a place (next to the emergency doors,if i'm not mistaken) at the most front of economy class which is spacious enough...and he stand (qiam) to perform the solat. And he's facing towards cockpit.

I guess for passanger or cabin crew, they have the choice to pray in 'any sufficient' space they can found in the plane, if they don't feel comfortable to pray on their seat. They are many ways to do it, just take your pick.

Well, actually they don't - not like, say, SV's 772. What MH offers on its 772 and 744 is the space near/ next to the door (in between galleys), which can be curtained off for prayers.

hmm that is good enough for me... as on board you dont really need an extra room for it. Just like when i am going shopping in Germany... some time we do it in changing room (where you try the clothes while you are shopping :) .. that cubicle actually enough for us to perform solat.)

Edited by JessnorArif

Like i said before, on aircraft (limited space, dunno where qiblat is), you can pray just only on your seat....

There is no excuse not to pray, where ever you are.....even in the middle of a war....

Edited by Mohd Idham

...Even when you're bed-ridden sick and cant stand up, you still have to perform the prayer. that is by using eye signals...

ISLAM is a simple religion. Many make it difficult for themselves and sometimes onto others by creating their own fatwas based on their own understandings. Go back to the basics and you will realise ISLAM is simple. Do up to your capabilities. For a simple reason, if you are unable to do your duty as per normal, there is always an acceptable alternate method. GOD always know what is in your minds.

Interesting topic,so to speak :lol:

It will be a good for me to perform solat while onboard the aircraft :lol:

One more thing,how do we know the time of breaking fast onboard the aircraft?

Interesting topic,so to speak :lol:

It will be a good for me to perform solat while onboard the aircraft :lol:

One more thing,how do we know the time of breaking fast onboard the aircraft?

Tamizi,

Just ask the pilot, he can refer to Jepp manual which shows sunset/sunrise time based on lattitude & longitude (anywhere in the globe).

Just keep in mind, while its dark during sunset on the ground beneath you, it may still be bright outside up there at say 35000 feet! Remember, our planet is round & 'line of sight' cause this. I have problem convincing passengers about it last time. :rolleyes:

concerning to the above matter, i would like to suggest you to buy a book,

"Panduan Ibadah Dalam Musafir Penerbangan" by Captain Hafiz Abdullah or you can read it via website http://www.al-firdaus.com

the contents of the book is very useful and easy to understand.thanks..

Tamizi,

Just ask the pilot, he can refer to Jepp manual which shows sunset/sunrise time based on lattitude & longitude (anywhere in the globe).

Just keep in mind, while its dark during sunset on the ground beneath you, it may still be bright outside up there at say 35000 feet! Remember, our planet is round & 'line of sight' cause this. I have problem convincing passengers about it last time. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info,Rudy.It's definately useful :lol:

concerning to the above matter, i would like to suggest you to buy a book,

"Panduan Ibadah Dalam Musafir Penerbangan" by Captain Hafiz Abdullah or you can read it via website http://www.al-firdaus.com

the contents of the book is very useful and easy to understand.thanks..

I think Capt Hafiz Abdullah flies the B747 for MAS right? Hope there are more people like him (a professional who is very well verse about Islam)

Frankly, I have no prob doing prayers while traveling, esp. when jamak-ing + qasar-ing. :-)

+++

I think Capt Hafiz Abdullah flies the B747 for MAS right? Hope there are more people like him (a professional who is very well verse about Islam)

Affirmative. i'll try to be more than him..need your support and prayers guyz!insyaAllah.