MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
affendi osman

Row 13 on MH 734

Guest Fendy

same reason why there are no 13 floor in buildings and no room 13 in hotels

so many aircraft has no "13rd" row, I think cause of believe "bad luck". (also I checked Turkish Airlines aircrafts layouts and there were no 13rd row except B737-400 but I believe, in aircraft, there will be no 13rd row)

If I'm not mistaken, 13 is bad number in western beleive. Just like 14 in Chinese. Oh btw, 13th friday is not good too. Black Friday, if i'm not mistaken.

it was Friday the 13th yesterday... :blink:

Just a thought - would Chinese airlines retain row 13 and omit row 14 instead (also row 24 too ?) ?!!

Just a thought - would Chinese airlines retain row 13 and omit row 14 instead (also row 24 too ?) ?!!

I don't know about Chinese airlines as I didn't check when I went onboard of Shenzhen airlines, Xiamen airlines and Shanghai airlines.

However, in China, the hotels I have been staying in have stayed in all have 4th floor and 14th floors. Surprise! It is only in HK where you don't get 4th floors, 14th and 24th floors. They still have 13th floors, however. At least thats the case in my brother's and my relatives' apartments in HK.

I don't understand why people get so uptight and obsessed about numbers. After all, it is just a number ;)

Haha Who build B737? Of cause Boeing. So We should know that b737 will not have row 13 and not because they want to please western customers.

like once i heard boeing said, 7E7 was named 787 because 8 means prosperity in cantonese and is a auspicious number for the chinese. He probably expects a big market from China

like once i heard boeing said, 7E7 was named 787 because 8 means prosperity in cantonese and is a auspicious number for the chinese. He probably expects a big market from China

Or that 8 is the next available number in sequence.

We've already got 707-777.

Similarly, it was once suggested that Airbus labelled the whale A380 just in case Chinese airlines are more easily impressed with the sound of it !!

BTW, perhaps this would be useful for non-cantonese speaking members here :

3 - (sounds like) alive

4 - die

8 - prosper

13 - must be alive

14 - must die (!!)

18 - must prosper

23 - easy to stay alive (?)

24 - easy to die

28 - easy to get rich

38 - alive and living prosperously

:)

Similarly, it was once suggested that Airbus labelled the whale A380 just in case Chinese airlines are more easily impressed with the sound of it !!

BTW, perhaps this would be useful for non-cantonese speaking members here :

3 - (sounds like) alive

4 - die

8 - prosper

13 - must be alive

14 - must die (!!)

18 - must prosper

23 - easy to stay alive (?)

24 - easy to die

28 - easy to get rich

38 - alive and living prosperously

:)

Billions of people still fly in the 747 .. despite the number meaning there .. :pardon:

That is so cool, wish i can fly in the A240 or B714 .. lol ..

And they succeed...

Or that 8 is the next available number in sequence.

We've already got 707-777.

But, I did hear the same thing as what Walter had heard..

Not 'rumours' I guess. :rolleyes:

Number 13 was believed to be unlucky by Christians, something to do with Jesus last supper. Years ago the dominant civilisation were mostly Christians, so they impose this belief, and others follow. That is why we have some house with number 12A next to house number 12, although the developers and owners could be Chinese or Malays. Some people follow blindly.

The Chinese / Orientals have these "lucky 8, unlucky 4" beliefs due to the sound of the number. Years ago, in the 60s, nobody care about these things, hence you have the 747. But now the Chinese / Orientals are more prominent in civilisation, so everybody bends over backward to exclude number 4 and put number 8. Yes, the 787 is due to sequence, but how else do you explain A380-800?

Number 13 was believed to be unlucky by Christians, something to do with Jesus last supper. Years ago the dominant civilisation were mostly Christians, so they impose this belief, and others follow.

At the Last Supper, Judas Iscariot, the disciple who betrayed Jesus, was the 13th to sit at the table.

However there is evidence that 13 has been considered unlucky in the pre-Christian era. Several codes of law created circa 1760BC do not contain a thirteenth law.

13 is also considered unlucky because it is one more than 12 - the latter being a popular number with many cultures. When we divide a group of 13 into 2, 3, 4 or 6 equal objects or people, there is always 'one' leftover. Over the years this came to be seen as undesirable.

But, I did hear the same thing as what Walter had heard..

Not 'rumours' I guess. :rolleyes:

I'm not denying that Boeing probably made a statement to that effect. But the use of the number 8 because it's a lucky number in Asian cultures is probably incidental than the main reason.

Edited by Keith T

Excellent food for thought !! :)

Ooh didn't realise it was dash800. Now that one definitely supports the theory.

Did some poking around - another one is the 747-800 (or was it 747-8?).

Billions of people still fly in the 747 .. despite the number meaning there .. :pardon:

Or it could be that Boeing did not give a ...... about these superstitious numberings, perhaps not back in those days !

Actually, if the pronounciation of number 7 is colloquailly (sic?) taken in Cantonese, can be quite unfavourable isn't it ?! Try number 9 too !

Geesh, better stop before I get blacklisted around here !!

Sign in to follow this