MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Naim

FAX: Let Firefly take over

Enough of a gruelsome day, now I hear such news...

Where is competency in our leaders... (Hope this is not an insult.) I don't have a business brain, but this is... ahh... sickening...

Like playing toys...

brainless move by the government.... why did they always fulfill TF's request at the price of MAS.... thumbs down!

why did they always fulfill TF's request at the price of MAS.... thumbs down!

Bcos AK outperform MH in every way, the whole AK things has been a real phenomena and being the largest LCC in Asia they are the pride of our nation.

Bcos AK outperform MH in every way, the whole AK things has been a real phenomena and being the largest LCC in Asia they are the pride of our nation.

Somehow I prefer RAS been taken over by Firefly. FAX has halfheartedly given services to RAS and many ppl doesnt happy with it. When Ras is under firefly, its easier to implement better connectivity with MAS, which is what the ppl there want I guess. (or at least the politicians who fly there). And Firefly can use some of the RAS planes to fly more destinations out of PEN. So win-win situation lah. (of course AK is the major winner). :good:

Edited by Azri M.

Somehow I prefer RAS been taken over by Firefly. FAX has halfheartedly given services to RAS and many ppl doesnt happy with it. When Ras is under firefly, its easier to implement better connectivity with MAS, which is what the ppl there want I guess. (or at least the politicians who fly there). And Firefly can use some of the RAS planes to fly more destinations out of PEN. So win-win situation lah. (of course AK is the major winner). :good:

If they concentrate on FAX ops instead of Air Asia X, there shouldn't be any major problem.

but it's okay...if there's any problem, just give it to Firefly@MAS!

Problem solved!

It is not who will finally operate the TP routes that really matters. If it was never given to FAX, if FAX just concentrate on long haul whatsoever, who cares. But last time FAX, TF cakap besar, boasting this and that and took over the routes. Now finding it is unprofitable, he want out. The yes men ministers just bend over backwards for TF.

How about the lives of the people who took MSS due to the irrationalisation? They get played out.

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

You mean, we should worship snakes?

as expected that "malaysia memang BOLEH"!!! with such a decision being made by the cabinet.Really speechless and disappointed.

Firefly can take it back but with one simple condition that the cabinet should bow to which is FAX returning everything that they have right now.

Which makes them losses the right to operate long haul flights.

you mean even safety it at the lowest mean by Airasia?=)

i think the records of Airasia blowing up tyres on the tarmac is pretty well much more performed compared to MAS. :good:

$$$$$$...tony fernandes....." :good: "

Chan said the government has given the assurance that the move would not affect MAS's turnaround plan.

"Any losses would be borne by the government," he said.

Why didn't he said that to FAX?Hmmmmmmm.......

Edited by FK Wong

You mean, we should worship snakes?

I don't care, don't know and not interested to find out what they are doing behind our back, who is the snakes and how many snakes are there. The fact is because of AK everyone can fly with cheap fares and with those 1 millions/500k Free seats they are making lots of people (especially Malaysian) happy.

one thing i wondered, do Firefly / MAS ever have the option to refuse the offer?

as expected that "malaysia memang BOLEH"!!! with such a decision being made by the cabinet.Really speechless and disappointed.

Firefly can take it back but with one simple condition that the cabinet should bow to which is FAX returning everything that they have right now.

Which makes them losses the right to operate long haul flights.

Not a chance...

And yet they still dare talking about 'transparent government'...

I don't care, don't know and not interested to find out what they are doing behind our back, who is the snakes and how many snakes are there. The fact is because of AK everyone can fly with cheap fares and with those 1 millions/500k Free seats they are making lots of people (especially Malaysian) happy.

seng lim you'll start to care when their aircraft crashes and reports of incident surfaces.

one thing i wondered, do Firefly / MAS ever have the option to refuse the offer?

"from day 1 we all know that rural air services is a social obligation by the government to the rural people" from post #41

the next thing that will happen is we are going to hear news of Firefly is taking over the RAS.

Edited by FK Wong

It is not about Air Asia. It is about FAX and TF.

BTW, why don't Air Asia just operate A330 Long haul LCC flights? Why must there be a FAX? Believe me, there is something behind the snake.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 25, 2007 17:21 PM

Sarawak Welcomes Firefly's Takeover Of FAX's Rural Air Services

KUALA LUMPUR, April 25 (Bernama) -- The Sarawak state government welcomes the move by Malaysia Airlines' new no-frills carrier Firefly to take over rural air services (RAS) in Sabah and Sarawak from Fly Asian Xpress (FAX) in the hope that it will improve services and enhance rural connectivity.

"We don't care who operate it as long as it can improve the connectivity and services," said Deputy Chief Minister Tan Sri Dr George Chan Hong Nam.

"It's really bad now. The rural folks depend on these services as it is the only way for them to commute between the rural and urban area," he said.

"They have been very patient all this while. We just hope there would be some improvement after this," he told Bernama when contacted by phone today.

Dr Chan said the state government was hopeful that with MAS's experience in handling the RAS, problems asssociated with connectivity and frequency would improve significantly.

"I know this is not easy. We do place high hopes that the situation would improve," he said.

"As for the state government, we will do our part to cooperate and help the parties involved as much as possible," he added.

Dr Chan expressed the hope that with the Cabinet's decision today, MAS managing director Idris Jala -- a Sarawakian himself -- would personally oversee efforts to improve the services under Firefly.

"The MAS MD himself comes from one of the areas serviced by the RAS. We are confident that he would be able to help us this time," he said.

Idris hails from Bario in the interior part of Sarawak, bordering Kalimantan.

FAX chief executive officer Raja Mohamad Azmi Raja Razali, when contacted for his reaction, said the company would issue a media statement later today on the matter.

"I hope you can wait for the media statement from us," he said in a brief comment.

A follow-up call to Idris also drew similar response.

Meanwhile, Bernama's Hamdan Ismail reported from Kuching that the Sarawak Tourism Board (STB) welcomed the move for Firefly to take over the RAS from FAX.

STB chief executive officer Gracie Geikie said the decision was good news, especially towards reinstating tourism destinations in the state's rural part into the global map.

"It is great news for us. As a 100 percent subsidiary of MAS, Firefly has all the mechanism in place to take over the services," she said.

She added that tourism players in the state had went through an "expensive experience" after FAX took over the RAS following the air route rationalisation exercise from August 1 last year.

Geikie said they had been voicing their concerns since the beginning on the ability of FAX, being a new airline formed then, to provide efficient services.

"I feel that Firefly with MAS's extensive network in the Global Distribution System (GDS) could expand our tourism reach," she said.

In announcing the Cabinet's agreement for the takeover today, Transport Minister Datuk Seri Chan Kong Choy said his ministry would be discussing with the Finance Ministry details of the subsidy to be given to Firefly to run the RAS, said to be between RM50 million and RM70 million a year.

He said the government had given an assurance that the move would not affect MAS' business turnaround plan, saying that any losses suffered by the national carrier for operating the RAS would be borne by the government.

FAX formally submitted its proposal on April 17 to surrender the RAS in Sabah and Sarawak, citing its intention to focus on the planned long-haul low-cost AirAsia X operations.

FAX, which shares common directors with AirAsia, has been operating 22 routes and 104 flights daily in Sabah and Sarawak.

hey guys,

business is business.. it's dirty, it's manipulative, it's crewel and sometimes it really really really sucks. There will always be winners and losers.. Now FAX handing back to MAS via FireFly is a little suprising, but I am not erntirely sure what the REAL story is...

The fact of the matter is, the Rural Air Services are a financial burden on ANY carrier that operates them.. Govt. Subsidy is necessary!!! BUT - why should it be the responsibility of MAS or AirAsia for that matter?? Hornbill skyways is a sarawak based airline... state goverment owned in fact! Why don't THEY operate the services with the federal assistance?????

There are so many questions here.. we shouldn't just mindfully bash... It's perplexing what has happened has happened, but I'm sure it will make clearer sense in the future..

Why it's not economic to hv two turbo-prop operators as claimed by FAX?

Stop subsidize, and make roads................ :D

Edited by Seth K

Bad day. FAX once claimed that they can makes the east Malaysia sector profitable...is no longer a reality but a dream....they cant even run the rural air service efficiently....AK is dirty, giving empty promise....they cant even operates it for 1 year...i guess they finally understand the burden of operating east Malaysia route. I wonder if Fireflz take over will add additional burden to MAS...since it's MAS subsisdiary.... :rolleyes:

MAS then FAX then FIREFLY aka MAS then........

paintshop would make extra money.......

but i am pleased when idris mentioned that he would take it as long as turnaround plan is not jeopardised. but i am sad that FIREFLY is no longer a purely Penang niche player.

and its quite embarrasing for one that requests for a thing and thereafter returns it. of course one does that to ensure the downside at group level is minimised but its not a gentleman's way of doing business. :nea:

and i take my hats off to MAS for being faithful and loyal to the government and i pray and sincerely hope that there be good things to come for MAS for being such a gentleman. :clapping:

It is not even a month since FireFly commenced operations and already a storm is brewing. But the most surprising is the speed of which the gov agreed for RAS to be returned back to MAS. Was it a done deal much earlier? Do I sense "invisible hands"? Tingkat Empat people? Could TF be just a proxy to someone or some group which is much more powerful?

But whatever the case may be, hopefully folks whose daily lives depend on the RAS could get better services.

Why not the world class gov set up a company (something like the one running RapidKL for busses and LRT), and run an airline for the benefit of the people as a social, non-profit organization.... since RAS is something not very appetising on the plates of profit-driven airline companies.

Edited by Rozhan

It is not even a month since FireFly commenced operations and already a storm is brewing. But the most surprising is the speed of which the gov agreed for RAS to be returned back to MAS. Was it a done deal much earlier? Do I sense "invisible hands"? Tingkat Empat people? Could TF be just a proxy to someone or some group which is much more powerful?

But whatever the case may be, hopefully folks whose daily lives depend on the RAS could get better services.

Why not the world class gov set up a company (something like the one running RapidKL for busses and LRT), and run an airline for the benefit of the people as a social, non-profit organization.... since RAS is something not very appetising on the plates of profit-driven airline companies.

Because alot of "people" like to sit down with their arms folded and waiting for the money to cash into their pocket.

Yea i think that firefly will do a much better job as compared to FAX sittting down and whining about every single problem they have at the same time

trying not squeeze a single penny out from their pocket.lol.that is what the "no frills" airline does.

hey guys,

business is business.. it's dirty, it's manipulative, it's crewel and sometimes it really really really sucks. There will always be winners and losers.. Now FAX handing back to MAS via FireFly is a little suprising, but I am not erntirely sure what the REAL story is...

The fact of the matter is, the Rural Air Services are a financial burden on ANY carrier that operates them.. Govt. Subsidy is necessary!!! BUT - why should it be the responsibility of MAS or AirAsia for that matter?? Hornbill skyways is a sarawak based airline... state goverment owned in fact! Why don't THEY operate the services with the federal assistance?????

There are so many questions here.. we shouldn't just mindfully bash... It's perplexing what has happened has happened, but I'm sure it will make clearer sense in the future..

who knows that those operating company under the state "govt. is operating from our money?=)

i think it made a very clear sense in every single person eye that they are in for the benefits only and ditch it whenever they have the chance.i gotta say one thing they (Airasia) is playing dirty in the "legal" way.I have nothing against Airasia.It is just that can people always get things in the way how they want it to be and always on the part to humiliate the others.

Edited by FK Wong

The fact of the matter is, the Rural Air Services are a financial burden on ANY carrier that operates them.. Govt. Subsidy is necessary!!! BUT - why should it be the responsibility of MAS or AirAsia for that matter??

You are conveniently forgeting the domestic route rationalisation exercise....FAX was created to do RAS, in exchange for AK benefiting from that rationalisation exercise. That was the agreement back then. TF did not suddenly feel charitable and wanted the RAS for nothing.

Yes, I'm also sad that Fireflyz is no longer a trademark of PEN anymore.

I'm beginning to wonder if FY will just close shop in PEN and move to East M'sia?

Gov is reported as willing to subsidise between RM50-70m for RAS operations, but I wonder if they will pay for the set-up costs and having two separate bases for F50 etc (if PEN is maintained for FY).

Edited by mushrif a

No doubt it will add unecessary burden for a new company like Fireflz.....FAX is nothing but a looser out this game...and if there's any official handover to Fireflz..then the government should review and probably revise what AK had benefitted from the domestics rationalising plan :rolleyes: