MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Keith T

The world's best and worst airlines, according to TripAdvisor

tripadvisor.com is a travel website that allows anyone to rate anything related to travel - airlines, hotels, attractions, entire cities, travel agents etc

Like skytrax, I'd take it with a pinch of salt but at least they don't pretend to be experts. ;)

An obvious flaw with Tripadvisor's methodology - it doesn't separate LCCs from full service airlines and rank the former in their own right. Instead, the site focuses on the overall perception by the regular traveler. The demographic of the survey is also pretty narrow.

I'd also seriously query BA in the runner up position for food - they've cut back on spending for catering and it shows. I can think of many airlines that serve much better food than BA.

But hey - just something to fill ur day. ;)

Source: http://www.etravelblackboard.com/index.asp...63433&nav=2

Tripadvisor: www.tripadvisor.com

BA no longer king of amenities and food for flyers, says TripAdvisor

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

British Airways has been dethroned by Singapore Airlines in a poll that surveyed the best and the worst services in the aviation market today.

Last year, British Airways won the top spot in a survey by online review site TripAdvisor for the best in-flight amenities and food. This year, Singapore Airlines had topped both lists with Virgin Atlantic coming second in the hearts of travellers who value their in-flight amenities. British Airways has been listed third for the 2007 poll.

On the flip side of the coin, US airline Southwest was voted as the worst airline for amenities with UK-LCC coming second on that list.

This survey assessed the flying community’s preferences with more than 1,400 travellers worldwide voting on the best and worst airlines to offer amenities to flyers. The support of this survey is most likely because of the flying travellers’ preference for comfort and top class amenities while travelling.

This is why nearly three-quarters of the people surveyed said that they would pay an extra 10 per cent for a more comfortable roomy airline seat with 30 percent also saying that a clean spacious toilet is a must for flying.

But ultimately, it was found that the most attractive part of flying was affordability. A third of those surveyed said that they were willing to forgo free snacks if it reduced the price of the flight.

The winners of the poll are as follows:

Top five airlines for best amenities

Singapore Airlines

Virgin Atlantic

British Airways

Emirates

Cathay Pacific

Five worst airlines for amenities

Southwest

Ryanair

US Airways

American Airlines

United

Top five airlines for best food

Singapore Airlines

British Airways

Virgin Atlantic

Air France

Continental

Top five comfort features:

Roomy and clean bathroom

Clean blanket/pillow

Noise-cancelling headphones

Sanitizing wipes to clean tray tables/arm rests

Anti-germ products/toiletry kits

Top five entertainment features:

Video screen at every seat

On-demand movies

Internet access

Route map display

Real-time satellite TV

Top five complimentary beverage choices:

Bottled water

Soda/cola

Wine

Fruit juices

Cocktails

Top five luxuries travellers would pay extra for:

A bed

Gourmet food

Massages

Premium liquor

Manicures

Edited by Keith T

SINGAPORE for AMENITIES? hmm...i find that a little weird because pax has been complaining that they dont provide full amenity kits anymore in Raffles Class like before..

SINGAPORE for AMENITIES? hmm...i find that a little weird because pax has been complaining that they dont provide full amenity kits anymore in Raffles Class like before..

I'm pretty sure they meant all cabin amenities (seats, duvets, entertainment features etc), not merely amenity kits.

If it's just amenity kits then I can understand why BA is so highly rated - the bottles of Molton Brown stuff in both the J and F kits are awesome.

Edited by Keith T

Ergh, another poll.......survey results mean nothing.........

Damn right - what matters is personal experience. :)

Having said that I'd place SQ, VS and CX up there for best amenities. BA club world has great beds but whatever's positive about BA ends there. And EK...too inconsistent. I'd place NZ next, followed closely by QF. Just my opinion.

And if there's ever a survey about reservation and ticketing services - AA all the way with SQ a close second. :)

Your beloved CO scored a top 5 ranking for food though...:p

Edited by Keith T

Your beloved CO scored a top 5 ranking for food though...:p

I hv to agree with that :p

CO biz flight meals are much better.....especially the salads!!!!!! But MH food are very tasty for regional flights. I guess CO gives more food(quantity) to pax than MH(experience), why it's hard to compare? Bcuz both give different types, one is Asian another is western.....

Edited by Seth K

CO biz flight meals are much better.....especially the salads!!!!!! But MH food are very tasty for regional flights. I guess CO gives more food(quantity) to pax than MH(experience), why it's hard to compare? Bcuz both give different types, one is Asian another is western.....

I noticed that American carriers dole out huge quantities of food. This is from my long haul experiences on 3 different US carriers - UA, CO and AA. Then again servings in the US are generally bigger than the rest of the world.

Food wise I'd actually go for LH or OS.

SR was also very good - haven;t flown enough of LX to make an informed judgment.

Or what about putting together the best of individual items - caviar from LH or CX, goose from LH, lobster thermidor from SQ, satay with non-spicy peanut sauce from MH, roast meat salads from QF, swiss pinot noir from LX and wines of the month from LH, soups from OS, meat pies from QF or BA, Lynch Bages from CX, herbal tea from CX, Blue Mountain Coffee from SQ, green tea ice cream (preferably Fauchon) from JL/NH, Dom Perignon/Krug/Veuve Cliquot 99/Bollinger 97 - my dream inflight dining experience. :D

Edited by Keith T

What happen to MH Haagen ice-cream, they used to pass the big cup out three years ago, now they don't, limited to certain flight? They were tasty, make the flight more enjoyable :pardon: CX still hv ice-cream in their menu!

caviar from LH or CX, goose from LH, lobster thermidor from SQ, satay with non-spicy peanut sauce from MH, roast meat salads from QF, swiss pinot noir from LX and wines of the month from LH, soups from OS, meat pies from QF or BA, Lynch Bages from CX, herbal tea from CX, Blue Mountain Coffee from SQ, green tea ice cream (preferably Fauchon) from JL/NH, Dom Perignon/Krug/Veuve Cliquot 99/Bollinger 97 - my dream inflight dining experience. :D

Wow, that makes me hungry in the middle of the night!!!! Anyway, when flying, I dun really go for the heavies, if there are variety choices, I'll just take the simple one......the thing I hate about MH satay is that they are very good! And makes me damand for more....:lol:

Edited by Seth K

Food wise I'd actually go for LH or OS.

SR was also very good - haven;t flown enough of LX to make an informed judgment.

Or what about putting together the best of individual items - caviar from LH or CX, goose from LH, lobster thermidor from SQ, satay with non-spicy peanut sauce from MH, roast meat salads from QF, swiss pinot noir from LX and wines of the month from LH, soups from OS, meat pies from QF or BA, Lynch Bages from CX, herbal tea from CX, Blue Mountain Coffee from SQ, green tea ice cream (preferably Fauchon) from JL/NH, Dom Perignon/Krug/Veuve Cliquot 99/Bollinger 97 - my dream inflight dining experience. :D

Where's the cheese-platter served by KL in the Business-Class ? :p :p

Where's the cheese-platter served by KL in the Business-Class ? :p :p

Mmm...Gouda cheese? :D

Goes very well with a glass of Veuve. :)

Edited by Keith T

Sign in to follow this