MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
ahmadzhafri

Career as LAME

hi guys... i just registered here... a very informative forum :)

i need your advice guys... i am at my last sem, doing degree in electrical & electronics... i am very keen to join aviation industry as an avionics LAME... my questions are;

1)having degree & LAME, what is the advantage ?

2)what is the best path for me to get my LAME?

3)how is the prospect for avionics LAME?

4)roughly how much i may earn once i have my LAME?

thanks you guys.... appreciate ur opinions.... still noob..ehehehehe.....

LAME - licensed aircraft maintainence engineer.

ahmadzhafri, welcome abroad.

regarding your questions,

1) i doubt it is going to come in very handy having a degree except that it gives you more understanding in what you're about to do if you have a degree associated with any type of aircraft engineering. being a LAME is similar to being a pilot, you have to renew your licenses. should you fail to renew them at any point, then you're left jobless and probably the degree would come in handy.

2) best path is always through an airline.

3) seriously doing avionics or even mechanical doesn't differ much except that they are dealing with different stuffs. i think the prospects are pretty high, as most of our national airlines are expanding rapidly (namely airasia) and many others around the region. it wouldn't be tough securing the job.

4) i seriously don't know this as i'm giving myself a shot to the airasia tame programme. perhaps i can update you in about 5yrs time? hehe

1 - u join LAME, means u throw away your degree....don't do that.....your degree is useless when u become a LAME...

I want to explain a little bit here but it don't mean that i want to start arguing, just to bring up the fact..

LAME or maintenance engineer is a not an engineer at all....they didn't qualified to be called engineer, ask them to do some simple calculation on tyre pressure due to impact on landing....they don't even know how to calculate...

Engineer is a degree holder, pursue a training and learning in a period of time regarding the engineering field, learn how to design, calculate strain and stress, pressure and force....you learn what is a degree of freedom inside structure, materials mechanics, etc etc......

If LAME (from their LAME's knowledge and 5 years of training) can answer all this questions , then you are great....

My advice is, if you have degree, go for Technical Service engineer, don't go for LAME....LAME is just for SPMs.....not for degrees...

Edited by Mohd Idham

1 - u join LAME, means u throw away your degree....don't do that.....your degree is useless when u become a LAME...

I want to explain a little bit here but it don't mean that i want to start arguing, just to bring up the fact..

LAME or maintenance engineer is a not an engineer at all....they didn't qualified to be called engineer, ask them to do some simple calculation on tyre pressure due to impact on landing....they don't even know how to calculate...

Engineer is a degree holder, pursue a training and learning in a period of time regarding the engineering field, learn how to design, calculate strain and stress, pressure and force....you learn what is a degree of freedom inside structure, materials mechanics, etc etc......

If LAME (from their LAME's knowledge and 5 years of training) can answer all this questions , then you are great....

My advice is, if you have degree, go for Technical Service engineer, don't go for LAME....LAME is just for SPMs.....not for degrees...

i am sorry Mohd Idham, may i know if you are a LAME?? or pilot?? no offence just curious to know from 'real-experienced' people... i got your point, thats why i post here first...

btw can you tell me what is the difference between Technical Service Engineer and LAME? tq very much

pherphas thats why in united states ,Lae,s are know as licenced aircraft mechanics . not engineer. for you info Lae is not registered under the malaysian engineers society.

Edited by Andy

I guess the purpose of calling them "Engineers" in the first place is to differ them from the normal Mechanics. Although they are, to a great extent, mechanics themselves. Anyway, only these "engineers" can sign off an aircraft (serviceable or not), not the mechanics. So you can technically say that they are the mechanics' Supervisors. Yesh? :unknw:

LAME, they just called themselve engineer, I dunno why...they can't get the title " Ir. " in front of their name, and " P.Eng " at the back of their name......they are just mechanics..

In order to be called engineer, u must have BACHELOR DEGREE in ENGINEERING...B.Eng.....

and after that, u must register as a member with IEM, Institution Of Engineers, Malaysia and also with BEM, Board of Engineers, Malaysia....

Technical Service Engineer is someone who has degree in engineering, working with airline company....ask anybody here that with MAS, ask them more about Tech. Service Department...

LAME, they just called themselve engineer, I dunno why...they can't get the title " Ir. " in front of their name, and " P.Eng " at the back of their name......they are just mechanics..

In order to be called engineer, u must have BACHELOR DEGREE in ENGINEERING...B.Eng.....

and after that, u must register as a member with IEM, Institution Of Engineers, Malaysia and also with BEM, Board of Engineers, Malaysia....

Technical Service Engineer is someone who has degree in engineering, working with airline company....ask anybody here that with MAS, ask them more about Tech. Service Department...

In some part of the world a train driver is also called engineer.

Sign in to follow this